Coolant Fitting Broke Off Inside Engine Block Receptacle

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hey Everyone...just wondering...if you tried to take off a hard plastic coolant pipe and the head/fitting with the gaskets breaks off and is stuck inside the engine block...what would you do to remove it? I've been thinking about this because this happened to me on an old e46...but it could happen on an n54.
Here are the possible remedies, please add if you have more possible solutions.

1. use expanding circlip pliers to grip inside of broken fitting and pull out --- tried this and it does not work.
2. use micormeter smaller bolt and screw into inside of fitting then use a vice grip to wiggle the fitting out? Have not tried this yet.

Any tools exist that are designed for this specific task? Any additional ideas?

VT

• Wow
Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Try an easy out tap. If the fitting doesn’t spin, it may work. Might also be worth trying a little heat to soften things up a little?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Found the solution in e46 Fantatics (which is a crazy ass forum with some crazy ass people)

Used a soldering iron to cut the plastic into bits and then pulled out with fingers and removed water pump to clean out any stray plastic crumbs.

Reactions: doublespaces

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
If its what i think you're talking about i just took a 90* angle pick and pulled it out.

And you would have a damaged mating surface for the life of the engine from scraping the mating surface accidentally...unless you are a grandmaster of kung fu with x men sensitivity and awareness. Also, your pick would die and bend because the hose is ultra hard plastic and lodged in very tightly. Also, your pick would not fit if it were wider than 15mm.

• Disagree
Reactions: E92 420

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Found the solution in e46 Fantatics (which is a crazy ass forum with some crazy ass people)

Used a soldering iron to cut the plastic into bits and then pulled out with fingers and removed water pump to clean out any stray plastic crumbs.
Correction. You found A solution. Good deal nonetheless.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
And you would have a damaged mating surface for the life of the engine from scraping the mating surface accidentally...unless you are a grandmaster of kung fu with x men sensitivity and awareness. Also, your pick would die and bend because the hose is ultra hard plastic and lodged in very tightly. Also, your pick would not fit if it were wider than 15mm.
Never had any issues. Can also use a straight one and break it upwards. Ive done this on 4+ motors. None ever leaked or had any issue related. Didnt say you had to hulk arm retard strength the tip into the aluminum head either. To each their own i guess.

• Agree
Reactions: E92 420

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Never had any issues. Can also use a straight one and break it upwards. Ive done this on 4+ motors. None ever leaked or had any issue related. Didnt say you had to hulk arm retard strength the tip into the aluminum head either. To each their own i guess.

Even a tiny scrape on the mating surface will risk leakage. Best to avoid any potential slipping with a sharp metal tip to the soft aluminum mating surface. Again, the hard plastic hose has two gaskets that keep it totally tight inside the hole. There is no way a tiny L pick can pull it out and no way that pick will not deform. Don't think I didn't try this already. But the risk was too great. It would be foolish to do it knowing the risk. You can't just get bigger gaskets to seal up any damage and you can't get larger pipe fittings since they are one piece with the pipe itself.

The soldering iron was soft and did zero damage to mating surface. The entire orfice was corroded into one solid piece...no way you can hook it out and not damage the surface on this particular car.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Even a tiny scrape on the mating surface will risk leakage. Best to avoid any potential slipping with a sharp metal tip to the soft aluminum mating surface. Again, the hard plastic hose has two gaskets that keep it totally tight inside the hole. There is no way a tiny L pick can pull it out and no way that pick will not deform. Don't think I didn't try this already. But the risk was too great. It would be foolish to do it knowing the risk. You can't just get bigger gaskets to seal up any damage and you can't get larger pipe fittings since they are one piece with the pipe itself.

The soldering iron was soft and did zero damage to mating surface. The entire orfice was corroded into one solid piece...no way you can hook it out and not damage the surface on this particular car.
If you assume other people only have the same skills and experience you do, you’ll never learn anything. @DCook clearly has more real life experience doing this than you and yet you’re claiming he’s wrong. He has done it multiple times with no ill effect. Maybe, just maybe, there’s nuance in the process that you’re not aware of and he’s not mentioning because to him it’s obvious. There are many ways to skin a cat.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If its what i think you're talking about i just took a 90* angle pick and pulled it out.
How about a small inside puller? Then that provides even pressure on two sides and would hopefully make it slide out evenly?

This coolant design is one more example of incredibly stupid crap BMW has and continues to do. I've worked on a ton of BMW's over my life, not to mention lots of other brands. It used to be that I'd say BMW was at the top of the heap. Honestly after 2-3 years of supporting my wife's Mercedes GLK250, I have to say it a far superior vehicle in how it is put together. No car is perfect but BMW is a pile of plastic waiting to fail. They integrate plastic in places that brake or fail, and in such a way that replacements off require extensive work or replacement of expensive parts.

I happen to have an E46 in the family with leaking coolant. We replaced that hard line (both but I digress) and the entrance area was a shitmess @ 150k. Obviously we didn't get it perfect as the new pipe is leaking. Just freaking stupid. Of course you have to pull the intake to get to this ... and BMW again in its infinite stupidity decided that hanging an octopus of crap to the bottom of the intake has been and continues to be a fantastic idea. Really wonder what is happening to this company.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
How about a small inside puller? Then that provides even pressure on two sides and would hopefully make it slide out evenly?

This coolant design is one more example of incredibly stupid crap BMW has and continues to do. I've worked on a ton of BMW's over my life, not to mention lots of other brands. It used to be that I'd say BMW was at the top of the heap. Honestly after 2-3 years of supporting my wife's Mercedes GLK250, I have to say it a far superior vehicle in how it is put together. No car is perfect but BMW is a pile of plastic waiting to fail. They integrate plastic in places that brake or fail, and in such a way that replacements off require extensive work or replacement of expensive parts.

I happen to have an E46 in the family with leaking coolant. We replaced that hard line (both but I digress) and the entrance area was a shitmess @ 150k. Obviously we didn't get it perfect as the new pipe is leaking. Just freaking stupid. Of course you have to pull the intake to get to this ... and BMW again in its infinite stupidity decided that hanging an octopus of crap to the bottom of the intake has been and continues to be a fantastic idea. Really wonder what is happening to this company.

Filippo

You know of an inside puller that fits inside 15mm hole? Post a link of this unicorn. I never seen on that small.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Could also use a puller with a slide hammer. How do you think pilot bearings are removed? they're smaller than the inside of the coolant hose, if not similar sized. If there's a need for it, chances are there's a tool for it. And im sure snap-on sells it as well.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Could also use a puller with a slide hammer. How do you think pilot bearings are removed? they're smaller than the inside of the coolant hose, if not similar sized. If there's a need for it, chances are there's a tool for it. And im sure snap-on sells it as well.

Send a link of this tool that is smaller than 15mm inside hole. If you're talking about a tool that pushes against the inner walls of the broken pipe nipple for grip while trying to pull it out of the hole, you might want to rethink this strategy. The pressure pushing the inner walls of the broken hose piece will make it tighter and tighter and harder to pull out, and eventually, you might destroy the inner wall itself and risk damage to the aluminum mating surface. Soldering iron was a good and easy tool. Next time, I will use it again but even more mindful of the technique to eliminate any burn pieces from breaking off into the orfice.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
15mm to freedom units is 0.59". Google must not work in your country. 30 seconds of googling.

1/2 to 1 1/2" puller.

Nope... that tool would scrape the shit out of the mating surface. That is the exact type of tool to avoid. It would work for other hard core surfaces though.

Also, it is insane to pay 72 bucks for a tool that does something that can be done for chunk change.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Nope... that tool would scrape the shit out of the mating surface. That is the exact type of tool to avoid. It would work for other hard core surfaces though.

Also, it is insane to pay 72 bucks for a tool that does something that can be done for chunk change.
Dude, you should really just stop posting help threads if you’re never going to listen and always going to argue. How can you sit around and argue that these other people are wrong when you didn’t even know how to fix the problem in the first place?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Dude, you should really just stop posting help threads if you’re never going to listen and always going to argue. How can you sit around and argue that these other people are wrong when you didn’t even know how to fix the problem in the first place?
Everytime he responds i just think of this.
Screenshot_20200623-093136_Instagram.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: The Convert

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Everytime he responds i just think of this.
View attachment 40106

Do you realize that there is a soft aluminum mating surface that will leak if you scrape it? Wtf? It's not arguing, it's pointing out why I didn't try those things like a metal pick or ANYTHING METAL to pull out a hose connection inside an engine block. Stop being so sensitive.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Understand that you are advising me to use a metal tool to scrape a plastic nipple stuck onto a soft metal surface that is sensitive to leaks due to surface damage. And NO... I am not offended so you're stupid meme doesn't make any damn sense. I told you the solution already that will not damage your mating surface and you keep offering solutions that I have already counted out as too risky to the mating surface. The only things I tried were techniques which specifically avoided touching the mating surface with uncontrolled pressure.

jpg diagram.jpg

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I told you the damn solution found elsewhere. NOBODY is listening.

jpg diagram.jpg