COMBOX QNX access

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
Yes it does, with the singular purpose right now of replacing dpas_00*.xml with your own proxy IP.
I spent about a month's spare time (Most of it I wasted with the mv2trace and bin) on this project between early June and the end of June when I essentially parked it. There wasn't that much interest in it and I do have a full-time job.

Here are detailed screenshots of what I built anyway. Code hasn't changed since Jun 30 bar for a move from Apache to Lighttpd yesterday.
I will release this with a Github repo that will contain the up-to-date web code and in the repo I'll link to the VM I run locally since I doubt many people will want to go through the whole hassle of installing. This makes the most sense to me.

I am considering a small lightsail instance but I just know it'll get DDoSd to shit.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about: you need money for life and features development takes not one evening to create something useful. Because of this your result is useless, ugly and hard to repeat for not a geek like you. Still not clean how to access your VM without public IP.

I would recommend instead of VM to learn Ansible and create playbook with setting in separate XML for any free cloud provider like AWS, GCP or Oracle. This would be more professional and easy to use.

I hope you will not publish your poop and leave with "sorry, no time" ?

Mine result with original design via local integrated simcard:

post-159-0-71747700-1619768212.jpgcds_1.jpgcds_2.jpgcds_3.jpg

• Dumb
Reactions: nahor

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Yes, this is what I'm talking about: you need money for life and features development takes not one evening to create something useful. Because of this your result is useless, ugly and hard to repeat for not a geek like you. Still not clean how to access your VM without public IP.

Why are you such a sourpuss?

I don't see how it's useless. I will provide all the instructions on how someone can set up their own server. It's not hard to repeat. Combox step is optional.
Why is it ugly? Because it doesn't copy the BMW interface? If someone wants to copy the css, they can go ahead.

I would recommend instead of VM to learn Ansible and create playbook with setting in separate XML for any free cloud provider like AWS, GCP or Oracle. This would be more professional and easy to use.

That's overkill for this.

I hope you will not publish your poop and leave with "sorry, no time" ?

Mine result with original design via local integrated simcard:

sorry, no time. Congrats, you copied the BMW interface.
My goal is completely different to yours. A simple, extensible set of pages; not a commercial solution.

Last edited:

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
I don't see how it's useless. I will provide all the instructions on how someone can set up their own server. It's not hard to repeat. Combox step is optional.
Why is it ugly? Because it doesn't copy the BMW interface? If someone wants to copy the css, they can go ahead.
Because in modern world nobody read instructions. Everybody using Ansible for setup and configuration in test and production environments.

That's overkill for this.
That would show you could do something better then dirty tricks.

sorry, no time. Congrats, you copied the BMW interface.
My goal is completely different to yours. A simple, extensible set of pages; not a commercial solution.
Yes, I made better version then BMW inside and have time to make quality modern solutions even for free :).

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
Because in modern world nobody read instructions. Everybody using Ansible for setup and configuration in test and production environments.

That would show you could do something better then dirty tricks.

Yes, I made better version then BMW inside and have time to make quality modern solutions even for free :).

What are you looking for exactly? Your solution is better, I'm not debating that.
I built this for myself, by myself and am simply sharing information I discovered along the way together with the code for others that want to follow the same.
I'm not trying to prove my skills. When the code is out, feel free to criticize it.

If you weren't so hostile maybe more people would have taken you up on your offer to test your server.

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
What are you looking for exactly? Your solution is better, I'm not debating that.
I built this for myself, by myself and am simply sharing information I discovered along the way together with the code for others that want to follow the same.
I'm not trying to prove my skills. When the code is out, feel free to criticize it.

If you weren't so hostile maybe more people would have taken you up on your offer to test your server.
I heard this regular song about "myself" and altruism many times.
Why you getting so angry from giving you key tips?

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
I heard this regular song about "myself" and altruism many times.
Why you getting so angry from giving you key tips?

I'm not angry about reasonable criticism.
You're asking me to consider Ansible for large-scale cloud deployment for what? 100k clients? It's a small home project. Like I said, for myself and sharing the steps. If people read the instructions and implement - good; if not, also good.

The other tip you provided is looking at port 851 where GNlog is. I told you I already knew that and shared what I developed to instead redirect everything to slog. You replied with "Thanks for a lot of letter".

You did say my work was "poop". Not very constructive.

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
I'm not angry about reasonable criticism.
You're asking me to consider Ansible for large-scale cloud deployment for what? 100k clients? It's a small home project. Like I said, for myself and sharing the steps. If people read the instructions and implement - good; if not, also good.

The other tip you provided is looking at port 851 where GNlog is. I told you I already knew that and shared what I developed to instead redirect everything to slog. You replied with "Thanks for a lot of letter".

You did say my work was "poop". Not very constructive.
I spend half of year working as PHP dev and know that LAMP VM = Linux + Apache + Mysql + PHP VM. Why not a docker for a small home project for a one user? This will allow you to host everything just on home router. I'm trying to understand why would you make public instructions to have own poop for everybody instead to easy to use Ansible playbook which will allow lifetime free well made easy to recreate by anybody solution. Are you from 5-year old reality where instructions + VM were most popular?

JonEQuest

Private
Nov 7, 2018
Kenner Louisiana USA
Ride
2008 335i Convertible
I don't have 5% of the knowledge of this kind of stuff you two have, BUT I do have 3 observations to make.

1) You guys are in the middle of a pissing contest.
2) BOTH of you intelligent guys have produced amazing results that go way beyond what this hardware was meant to do.
3) 99% of people are going to share my opinion that I should probably just get an Android based replacement that mimics a BMW interface so it feels "built-in" as long as I can use something to inject HIGH quality audio into the great sounding factory Logic 7 or Harmon Kardon amplifiers.

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
I don't have 5% of the knowledge of this kind of stuff you two have, BUT I do have 3 observations to make.

1) You guys are in the middle of a pissing contest.
2) BOTH of you intelligent guys have produced amazing results that go way beyond what this hardware was meant to do.
3) 99% of people are going to share my opinion that I should probably just get an Android based replacement that mimics a BMW interface so it feels "built-in" as long as I can use something to inject HIGH quality audio into the great sounding factory Logic 7 or Harmon Kardon amplifiers.
1) Welcome to IT meeting :))
2) Thanks!
3) I'm not sure 100% about all Android HU replacement devices, but most popular of them installed instead of original CID display and connect via display cable and AUX to CIC. At some moments you switch to Android OS, but for car settings and watch service info used original CIC. This way there will be no HIGH quality audio because of conversion to analog, transfer via AUX, conversion back to digital in CIC and only after that go via MOST to Logic 7. Also navi on Android will not show info on HUD. Sometimes I'm trying to watch video on Android mobile with sound on car speakers via Bluetooth and there is very annoying delay between video and sound so this way not a good to.

JonEQuest

Private
Nov 7, 2018
Kenner Louisiana USA
Ride
2008 335i Convertible
Yeah, that is why I have not made the jump to anything aftermarket yet. I did swap my CCC to a CIC and added combox, etc. so it is now much better but it would be nice to have Google maps or Pandora etc. on my car stereo. I just won't sacrifice audio quality since what is available at the moment is like you said, convoluted audio input at best.

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
Yeah, that is why I have not made the jump to anything aftermarket yet. I did swap my CCC to a CIC and added combox, etc. so it is now much better but it would be nice to have Google maps or Pandora etc. on my car stereo. I just won't sacrifice audio quality since what is available at the moment is like you said, convoluted audio input at best.
Google maps loading in CIC browser but show nothing. I guess this caused by very limited old capabilities made in 2005-2007 years.

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
This is all awesome stuff! And yeah, I agree, stop with the pissing contest. You guys have done so much more than I could ever get out of the Combox/CIC software back when I was attempting all this

I am perplexed though, I'm not sure I want all that on my CIC anymore. But I might poke around if I get bored this winter when the car is hibernating.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Any chance of getting access to that forum?

Try now

Yes it does, with the singular purpose right now of replacing dpas_00*.xml with your own proxy IP.
I spent about a month's spare time (Most of it I wasted with the mv2trace and bin) on this project between early June and the end of June when I essentially parked it. There wasn't that much interest in it and I do have a full-time job.

Here are detailed screenshots of what I built anyway. Code hasn't changed since Jun 30 bar for a move from Apache to Lighttpd yesterday.
I will release this with a Github repo that will contain the up-to-date web code and in the repo I'll link to the VM I run locally since I doubt many people will want to go through the whole hassle of installing. This makes the most sense to me.

I am considering a small lightsail instance but I just know it'll get DDoSd to shit.

This site has two rack servers (inside a quarter cabinet) dedicated to it for high availability and ultimately a lot of spare cycles. Besides a test website, the only other things it runs are the supporting cast (backup, monitoring, etc):
1628734273376.png

I work with kubernetes all day developing a private cloud with Pivotal PKS/Rancher clusters, but none of that is necessary for some DIY project, but if a VM is needed I may be able to provide one if it's ran as a SpoolStreet service. Send me a PM if you get that far and could use one.

As a side note, lets refrain from disparaging others work. If we aren't willing to discuss productively with the subject of this thread then that discussion should probably have it's own.

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
This site has two rack servers (inside a quarter cabinet) dedicated to it for high availability and ultimately a lot of spare cycles. Besides a test website, the only other things it runs are the supporting cast (backup, monitoring, etc):
View attachment 57505

I work with kubernetes all day developing a private cloud with Pivotal PKS/Rancher clusters, but none of that is necessary for some DIY project, but if a VM is needed I may be able to provide one if it's ran as a SpoolStreet service. Send me a PM if you get that far and could use one.

As a side note, lets refrain from disparaging others work. If we aren't willing to discuss productively with the subject of this thread then that discussion should probably have it's own.
I'm very interested in monthly cost of those two dedicated servers and what is source to pay that fee :)

noydoc

Nov 8, 2020
Instead of having the traffic go out over the combox, is there a way to redirect it to the Ethernet network inside the car, and have it talk to a webserver on a raspberry Pi hanging off the Ethernet port in the OBD2 port?

the ENET protocol stuff (it’s actually called HSFZ) has been documented at a low level in the Scapy project https://github.com/secdev/scapy/blob/master/scapy/contrib/automotive/bmw/definitions.py

We could run a service on something like the modbmw wifi enet adapters (it’s openwrt) that talks to the DME and exposes an interface in the idrive browser.

who *wouldn’t* like being able to monitor ignition timing across all 6 cylinders on the idrive interface?

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
Surprisingly CIC adjusting route to use OBD ethernet while it's active by default. But you need to tell CIC or Combox there is active mobile connection and this made via AT-commands queries. Firmware patching would be headache, Bluetooth modem emulation - headache to. Pay attention you can connect USB K-DCAN cable via microUSB adapter to mobile phone and use DeepOBD with standard prg files to get info you want. Personally I see no reason to know engine timings while there is no problems in car.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm very interested in monthly cost of those two dedicated servers and what is source to pay that fee :)

The hardware I paid for years ago so I own it so my only cost is the colocation fees with the datacenter. The site is supported by some vendors/sponsors of this site and our Facebook groups.

Surprisingly CIC adjusting route to use OBD ethernet while it's active by default. But you need to tell CIC or Combox there is active mobile connection and this made via AT-commands queries. Firmware patching would be headache, Bluetooth modem emulation - headache to. Pay attention you can connect USB K-DCAN cable via microUSB adapter to mobile phone and use DeepOBD with standard prg files to get info you want. Personally I see no reason to know engine timings while there is no problems in car.
So technically, could you do datalogging or gauge monitors ala MHD/Protool?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Imvestihate yourself, I'm interested more in remote car control via mobile then crack engine during tuning.

That would be interesting, some basic remote features would be nice such as air conditioning or heat, vehicle start.

volaltd

Private
Feb 21, 2019
Ride
E60 LCI
That would be interesting, some basic remote features would be nice such as air conditioning or heat, vehicle start.
Blow horn, flash lights, get gps coordinates, open doors, control air conditioning - this is basic functions. Engine start possible only via advanced way and while you have keys from manufacturer database. Even battery status require more deep level of authorization. There is also remote diagnostic and firmware update implemented since 2004 but not widely used.