Ad: Clark Performance Fabrication Differential Lockdown Bracket

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
Hello everyone! My name is Steven Clark and I am the owner of my brand new company, Clark Performance Fabrication. I am a one man part time shop based out of Minot, ND. I have been in the N54 community for 4 years now and a few people know me due to my build thread on here under slow135. I am just starting up my shop and I would like to offer something that isn't exactly a new concept to the N54 community but it is something I have redesigned for my own purposes and would like to offer to others at a very modest price. I am fabricating differential lockdown brackets for RWD 135i and 335i cars to help prevent wheel hop when launching. The bracket prevents the differential from flexing in its bushings which creates a rubber band effect leading to wheel hop. These brackets will help out with about 85% of the flex and by adding rear subframe bushings and differential carrier bushings the rear end will be completely solid. I have been using another bracket on my personal car for the past 2 years but I was disappointed with fitment and how flimsy the bracket was so I decided to reinvent the wheel and design one suitable to my standards. My brackets are built out of 1/4" steel and tig welded together. They are then primed and powdercoated black to prevent any rust. One other difference between my brackets and any other, as far as I know, is that I include new differential hardware that is 5mm longer to retain full bolt thread depth into the differential instead of reusing the stock differential bolts. All of my bolts are serrated flange hex heads to prevent them from backing out. The brackets are $120 shipped. Any larger quantity and I can work out a new shipping quote. As for my personal fabrication background I began painting and welding 9 years ago working in a marina on boats and yachts. I ran a fiberglass fabrication and paint shop for two years and welded part time in the shop as well as one year of welding school. After the shop I enlisted into the Air Force and have served 7 years. I began working on and building performance cars about 6 years ago in my part time. My goal has always been to open my own fabrication shop and this is my attempt at doing so. I will be running my shop part time till I separate from active duty and this will hopefully become my full time job. That being said, I know it is a lot to ask but please be patient with me as I try to fulfill orders as I do my best to not sacrifice quality at all and between my shop and full time job I am working about 90 hours a week. My first batch will all be for MT cars and I have the materials for 40 brackets. I am currently building a jig for AT brackets which should be ready to ship in the next couple weeks. I have seen tons of support in the community over the past few years and even more in the past few weeks that I have been setting up my shop. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I do my best to be as transparent as possible and dont want to present a facade of being a massive organization.

Orders can be made on my website here:
www.clarkperformancefab.com

Here is a video explaining the design of the brackets:

Here is the the installation video for my differential lockdown brackets. It also explains some of the differences between models and years.

6797209A-7D67-4259-A6D3-1EA3AEDE7895.jpeg

4C746BFD-D56D-405F-BFD4-7605A1318629.jpeg

View attachment 7565
F9B2E64C-8C52-4562-9875-CAF7145F2D71.jpeg
4784CFAB-FBF3-48F8-AAF7-62BFEAD2790C.jpeg
85D4CA1A-45EF-43FB-804E-EFB85D7C3E7F.jpeg
20EAD003-124B-499E-8362-2A8C969E8683.jpeg
1061E619-59E6-4FF1-9C48-BF63D587B354-8431-000004572019CCB7.png

IMG_7053.JPG

Last edited:

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
They look much stronger than the one I broke previously. Same design just cost me more and was thinner

I think that's a very modest price and wish you the best of luck buddy! I think you will do ok with these!

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
They look much stronger than the one I broke previously. Same design just coat me more and was thinner

I think that's a very modest price and wish you the best of luck buddy! I think you will do ok with these!
Thanks very much! My whole goal was to balance material cost with the highest quality possible. I believe that these would out-do any competition in a comparison in both of these areas.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Thanks very much! My whole goal was to balance material cost with the highest quality possible. I believe that these would out-do any competition in a comparison in both of these areas.

Your welcome. We're so quick to beat each other up on the internet. Figured maybe I could start off with some kind words instead of flames lol

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
Your welcome. We're so quick to beat each other up on the internet. Figured maybe I could start off with some kind words instead of flames lol
I was for sure prepared for getting flamed. I have no intention to get rich off of this or rip anyone off. And I have other projects in the works right now too. I'm just starting out with these brackets to help out the community and fund my shop growth. I have a lot of time and my personal money invested into this shop and I'm doing my best to keep upgrading equipment and materials. I'm not turning a profit at all and have no intention of doing so anytime soon.

Reactions: doublespaces
Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
First batch of brackets just sold out! Second batch should be ready to ship by this weekend. I'm checking out a new shop today as well that should help speed up turnaround time and let me start working on some other new projects. More coming soon!

Reactions: 335i_lou
Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
I finished a second batch and I have two 215mm (large differential) brackets left that are ready to ship. My 188mm (small differential) is off for fitment testing. I also have a large bracket that is getting fit tested on a DTC 335is right now. By next week I will have fit tested on every 135/335 combination. Got some cool new projects in the works right now too. Stay tuned for more!

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
Working on finishing up some more 215mm brackets today! As soon as I get fitment confirmation tomorrow on the 188mm bracket I'll start pumping them out. I also have a company I'm speaking with for powdercoating and a CNC plasma company to help with turnaround. My goal is to have 50 of each in stock by the end of December. I'm also starting my drafting and design for my motor mounts. I have the bushings in and just need to make my test mount.
IMG_7124.JPG

Reactions: John@DBV2

John@DBV2

Sergeant
Jan 23, 2017
Very interested in seeing the mounts! I’ll be needing a set sometime in the near future.

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
Very interested in seeing the mounts! I’ll be needing a set sometime in the near future.
I'll keep updates posted here or in a separate vendor thread as they get closer to being released. I'm using a 2" polyurethane bushing that you can buy anywhere online (ebay, amazon, ect.) so that if it ever becomes time to replace the bushings down the line you wont have to source them through me. I have the new bushings already and I'm about to gather materials this week for a mock up.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Sign me up for a bracket. FBO, LSD, with a lockdown kit but still getting wheel hop through 1st and 2nd.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
On second thought, looks like both my lockdown and your bracket utilize the bottom right differential bolt, thus they'd interfere with each other. I'll have to build my own bracket to use them both.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
On second thought, looks like both my lockdown and your bracket utilize the bottom right differential bolt, thus they'd interfere with each other. I'll have to build my own bracket to use them both.
You might want to give this bracket a shot by itself. I built it with the 1/4" steel to prevent any movement in the differential at all. I have one getting installed on a very high HP car right now that I'm waiting to get feedback from. If it stabilizes the wheel hop on that car it should be good for any car under 1000 hp. You might also want to look into aluminum subframe bushings and replacing your differential bushings.

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
I have two brackets left at $107.20 by the way with the enamel coating. After those are gone I will be powdercoating them all and they will be $120 shipped. I would also be willing to sell them as raw steel for $100 shipped if you would like to source your own powdercoating or painting.

Last edited:

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Would you be interested in building a bracket that is identical to the one you have, but wraps around the side of the diff as well? Then I'd just drill a hole where my mount lines up, then it'd incorporate both types of kits available? Making it out of aluminum would be even more better. Basically just incorporate this bracket to it:

defivstep1.jpg

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
Would you be interested in building a bracket that is identical to the one you have, but wraps around the side of the diff as well? Then I'd just drill a hole where my mount lines up, then it'd incorporate both types of kits available? Making it out of aluminum would be even more better. Basically just incorporate this bracket to it:

defivstep1.jpg
I for sure could make you something that will work. Send me a message and lets discuss making something custom for your particular setup.