C02/N20 FMIC Sprayer

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I live in the Phoenix valley where the temps are ridiculously high in the summer. Don't tell me you're from Miami, highest average daily temps in the nation blah blah, fact of the matter is it does not reach the extreme temps that we see here in the desert, chart for those who don't know what hot is:

DaFMvZw.png

Right, that means 30% of the year we are hotter than the hottest day of the year for most of you. I understand that many don't deal with these temperature extremes, and the importance of this kind of modification isn't very high. But for those who do experience heat soak or have to combat high ambient temps, I'd like to know if anyone has gone this route on our cars and which they decided to spray. I've read if you're running E85, or spraying nitrous or meth, the effects of an external applicator are partially nullified. I've ordered the 'Big' AD-E FMIC in hopes that the sheer mass of the unit will help this issue, but I know its hard to exchange heat when 120* air is passing through the intercooler fins.

I suppose I'm curious if there is much benefit to running something like this in my situation and which is better to spray, C02 or N20?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Coming from someone with lots of experience with the IC Spraybar. I can say that it definitely does what it is intended to do.

I've run it on my other shop car for years.

Running E85 or Meth definitely helps In keeping IATs suppressed to an extent. But if you're starting off with 120* ambient temps. Then at those temps the IC even without heat soaking is a little hotter than that just sitting still.

In your case. An IC Spraybar may help you. But, just for general knowledge. They really should only be used for staging or situations just before a race.

For your application, simple sporadic use for chilling the IC. CO2 is your best option. It's cheaper and typically more readily available in more place than N20. Places like paintball shops and etc have CO2.

Also, a reason and caution of why only use it when stationary/staging. Is because the engine can injest it. Especially on These cars with the scoops right behind the IC.

CO2 Is an oxygen inhibitor so to speak. So if the engine ingests it while spraying it while moving you will lose power because it displaces oxygen. Vise versa the dangers of using N20 I's ingesting it and the engine AFR swinging lean. In some situations that's fine. But if you're running a car at the limits of Max power. A lean condition can be detrimental.

So in short....they work. Just use responsibly like anything else.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

mt_n54

Lurker
Dec 21, 2016
Great explanation..
For racing, FMIC sprayer is necessary to keep IATs consistent between runs..

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Coming from someone with lots of experience with the IC Spraybar. I can say that it definitely does what it is intended to do.

I've run it on my other shop car for years.

Running E85 or Meth definitely helps In keeping IATs suppressed to an extent. But if you're starting off with 120* ambient temps. Then at those temps the IC even without heat soaking is a little hotter than that just sitting still.

In your case. An IC Spraybar may help you. But, just for general knowledge. They really should only be used for staging or situations just before a race.

For your application, simple sporadic use for chilling the IC. CO2 is your best option. It's cheaper and typically more readily available in more place than N20. Places like paintball shops and etc have CO2.

Also, a reason and caution of why only use it when stationary/staging. Is because the engine can injest it. Especially on These cars with the scoops right behind the IC.

CO2 Is an oxygen inhibitor so to speak. So if the engine ingests it while spraying it while moving you will lose power because it displaces oxygen. Vise versa the dangers of using N20 I's ingesting it and the engine AFR swinging lean. In some situations that's fine. But if you're running a car at the limits of Max power. A lean condition can be detrimental.

So in short....they work. Just use responsibly like anything else.

How big of a delta could I expect to see in my IATs? I picture myself using this most often between a pull on the freeway, so I'd have to think of how this would affect my AD-E ST intake location.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
How big of a delta could I expect to see in my IATs? I picture myself using this most often between a pull on the freeway, so I'd have to think of how this would affect my AD-E ST intake location.

Did some testing years ago iirc, one started with 95* ambient. Sitting idling IATs were like 100* and a 4-5 second spray dropped IATs down to like 70*. Longer spray would freeze the IC some more pretty much.

But I'd have to dig thru all my files from back then too find it. If I even still have it.
But that's just from my vague memory.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Did some testing years ago iirc, one started with 95* ambient. Sitting idling IATs were like 100* and a 4-5 second spray dropped IATs down to like 70*. Longer spray would freeze the IC some more pretty much.

But I'd have to dig thru all my files from back then too find it. If I even still have it.
But that's just from my vague memory.
Nice, I'd suspect the higher the temps the more effective this becomes. I may give it a shot, if only there was a more discrete method to apply it than having the spray bar attached to the front. Hmm...

@Chris@VargasTurboTech Didn't we begin to talk about this one time?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Nice, I'd suspect the higher the temps the more effective this becomes. I may give it a shot, if only there was a more discrete method to apply it than having the spray bar attached to the front. Hmm...

@Chris@VargasTurboTech Didn't we begin to talk about this one time?

We'll let me know. I sell the kits so I could supply you with everything

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I had my washer tank rigged to misters in my bumper aiming at my intercooler. It was invisible unless you looked. I would just hit the spray on my stalk whenever I wanted it triggered. I'd pull the fuse for my wipers. It rains maybe 3 times a year here (#2) and people just start smashing in to each other so I usually won't take the 335 anyway. Fun weekend project, just make sure you put a check valve near the IC or you'll drain the washer tank. Also, when at the track make sure you talk to them about it so you don't leave a nice pool for the next guy staging.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
In my opinion if you are going to go through the hassle of adding injection with something you have to refill(other than fuel) get a meth kit for real AIT suppression.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I had my washer tank rigged to misters in my bumper aiming at my intercooler. It was invisible unless you looked. I would just hit the spray on my stalk whenever I wanted it triggered. I'd pull the fuse for my wipers. It rains maybe 3 times a year here (#2) and people just start smashing in to each other so I usually won't take the 335 anyway. Fun weekend project, just make sure you put a check valve near the IC or you'll drain the washer tank. Also, when at the track make sure you talk to them about it so you don't leave a nice pool for the next guy staging.

My only problem with this is that I don't want a wet front bumper. Dribbling water may not be an issue when you're at the racetrack, but for my purposes I'd rather have something a little bit less messy.

In my opinion if you are going to go through the hassle of adding injection with something you have to refill(other than fuel) get a meth kit for real AIT suppression.

This is a very good argument. At the same time, there is a lot to be said about not having a scorching hot FMIC.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Having a cold fmic absolutely helps, although not for long. When we trapped 169.9 in high heat at AZ NFZ we were spraying the intercooler down with ice water between runs while the car cooled off. The FMIC was cold to the touch before we started back up for our next run. It doesn't stay like that long at all but it helps for a bit. Of course at speed both compressed and ambient air are heating the FMIC up....I don't think we saw much of a change in charge temps by the time we were deep into 5th gear. I still like the idea though I'd like it better if you could use it to augment intercooling (i.e. actively pulling heat out) rather than just change your FMIC start point temp.