Buy this, Not that!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I have about a half dozen torque wrenches. With modern cars, there is a bunch of stuff where having a low number torque wrench is invaluable, especially when one doesn't wish to crack plastic parts. Wera makes a nice 1/4" torque wrench, which I've been using for the past year or so. Wera has it made in Taiwan, but it comes with a calibration certificate from Germany, where QC is performed. They are +/-4% which is accurate enough for what we use them for.

Right now there is a screaming deal on a return at Warehouse Deals at $102 shipped, instead of the usual near $150. If you are looking for a 1/4" torque wrench that can cover 1-25NM, I highly recommend this torque wrench. First one that pulls the trigger gets it for just $100 ...

One thing to consider, at low torque values, I prefer handling the wrench with several fingers instead of the grip of my palm, since it is a far more delicate tightening operation. The wrench uses a twist handle to set the target value, with a positive release and set detent when adjusting the handle. Grip is a plastic/rubber combo which provides good grip and cleans up easily with carb or brake cleaner, and does not damage the plastics.

Filippo

61c94ese3GL._SL1500_.jpg

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Ok this may be a common thing people already have, but I believe that ever single person that works on any vehicle should buy one of these. Its not often that I even use it for 1/4in nuts and bolts, mostly I'm putting 1/4 screwdriver, torx, allen bits into them to reach tight spaces where I can't get a ratchet and socket. It's the same idea as a bit holder, except even thinner still. I have found myself in places where I even needed to grind the bits down to fit.Screenshot_20180810-145155.png

Reactions: Jeffman

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ok this may be a common thing people already have, but I believe that ever single person that works on any vehicle should buy one of these.
Smart. @barry@3DM what was I doing just today? Working on 8mm bolts holding down the ignition housing on an M20 - I sure could have used this instead of the adjustable wrench clasping a square drive adapter attached to a socket ...

Filippo

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Ok this may be a common thing people already have, but I believe that ever single person that works on any vehicle should buy one of these. Its not often that I even use it for 1/4in nuts and bolts, mostly I'm putting 1/4 screwdriver, torx, allen bits into them to reach tight spaces where I can't get a ratchet and socket. It's the same idea as a bit holder, except even thinner still. I have found myself in places where I even needed to grind the bits down to fit.View attachment 14678

I like this similar Kolbalt brand wrench with bits.
20180810_160933.jpg

Reactions: Jeffman

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The benchmark multimeter company is without a doubt, Fluke. These units go for several hundred dollars and up, and one knows exactly what one is buying.

About a ten years ago or so, I read a long and detailed comparison of a Harbor Freight sold multimeter which was tested against a Fluke. The results were very acceptable, and the cost was incredibly inexpensive. To boot, it included a host of other convenient functions - luminosity, decibel reader, and K type thermocouple temperature reading. In my various workings, I've found these added capabilities useful. I have two of them - one which gets frequent use in the guitar shop, and the other of course in the garage. The meter is backlit, runs on 3 AAA batteries and seems to last a long time on those batteries.

Wait, what's the meter called? The unit is a Mastech MS8229 which used to be sold at Harbor Freight as a Cen-Tech P98674. This unit can be had on Amazon Prime for a whopping $50. If you want to wait a couple weeks, Aliexpress can get it to you for $40.

For the serious hobbyist one will find reviews that show its measurements to be reasonably accurate. For someone doing serious electronics design work, they're going to go with top shelf multimeters and pay for the increase in accuracy necessary for their functions.

Filippo

71XxGxsxNQL._SL1500_.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I really wish more people would post recommendations on this thread. I'm like the 1-man Italian Used Car Sales guy here ... help a brother out!

Okay so tonight I'm posting about endoscopes/borescopes. These things have gotten stupid cheap. Plenty of apps in the app stores for them, aside from whatever is provided free with the kit you buy. This falls under the, one time you need it, paid for itself. $30 bucks for the setup, does WiFi or you can plug in direct. 5 meters is more than you'll ever need on the cable, and the cable is stiff so you can shape it. Want to look down your intake? Your piston tops? Comes with LED lights at the head. Last time I used it was to figure out clearance of my custom strut bar when closing my hood. The 1080P units have a pretty crisp picture. Just nuts that one can buy this stuff for $30 these days. Did I mention it has an IP68 waterproof attachment? Not to mention, want to save some money and do your own colonoscopy? Bam! No problem.

Someone else needs to post - seriously this is getting embarrassing ...

Filippo
71UpoUMWMhL._SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: @juan35i

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Good thread. I just learned about these, can someone recommend for our automotive use? @nitemare says they've been around the aviation industry for a long time, I just haven't seen anyone use them:
https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Connectors-Electrical-Waterproof-Automotive/dp/B01DPS8DPM/
upload_2018-8-14_23-50-27.png

EDIT: It happens by chance that the thread that brings me here is talking about the same product I am posting about, but did not actually realize it. I saw this product as Facebook ad earlier today and figured I'd post it here.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Springtools are a roll pin punch with a built in anvil in a spring on the head of the punch. I use them way more often than I thought I would. They come in multiple lengths and usually a 4 piece set. There is also a center punch and nail set punch. They are much easier to use than traditional punches with a hammer. They also apply a lot more force in a more controlled manner. Anyone whose tried to drift out a tight pin knows how hard it can be, you need three hands to do it sometimes. This is one of those tools you wish you would have bought years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Tools...ring+tools&dpPl=1&dpID=51R7sI-gH0L&ref=plSrch

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Good thread. I just learned about these, can someone recommend for our automotive use? @nitemare says they've been around the aviation industry for a long time, I just haven't seen anyone use them:
https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Connectors-Electrical-Waterproof-Automotive/dp/B01DPS8DPM/
View attachment 14884

EDIT: It happens by chance that the thread that brings me here is talking about the same product I am posting about, but did not actually realize it. I saw this product as Facebook ad earlier today and figured I'd post it here.

Those look pretty cool, but after reading I think it was @Torgus' post about solder vs crimping for auto use, I'd be interested to get his take on it. I'd always been under the mistaken impression that solder was "better" but I see the arguments for crimping, and when thinking about it, pretty much every electrical connection in automotive use is either crimped or a plug connection, I can't recall a solder joint, even in service scenarios. Does anyone have a recommended open barrel crimper and open barrel crimps, for wire to wire connections, similar to how this connects wires?

• Dumb
Reactions: BoostedE90

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Couple guys on another thread were talking about "TE" ones - @NoQuarter and @The Convert I think. I bugged them to post up about it here ...

Filippo

Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
View attachment 14884

The ones made by TE are really good for splicing wires in areas where they'll see moisture. I use them exclusively.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Those look pretty cool, but after reading I think it was @Torgus' post about solder vs crimping for auto use, I'd be interested to get his take on it. I'd always been under the mistaken impression that solder was "better" but I see the arguments for crimping, and when thinking about it, pretty much every electrical connection in automotive use is either crimped or a plug connection, I can't recall a solder joint, even in service scenarios. Does anyone have a recommended open barrel crimper and open barrel crimps, for wire to wire connections, similar to how this connects wires?

Those plugs are all full of crimped contacts/connectors btw. Crimps are fast and repeatable and you can also do a pull test on them(no not with your hands). I worked in a wire manufacturing house years ago. I know more than I ever want to about crimps and contacts etc.

I'm sure the above solder shrink things work fine for the most part. They are not ideal, but they will work. There is a reason everything is crimes vs. Soldered in aviation, nautical, automotive, etc: Vibration.

Solder is a means of making a good electrical connection, it is not a good type of mechanical connection. Surface mount on boards etc? Sure. Connecting two conductors? No. It was never designed for this purpose.

You dont see lines men working on poles soldering. Btw that is why they are called linesmen pliers: https://www.vampiretools.com/blog/lineman-pliers-got-name/

fl2000-9ne.png

Every connection that has any chance of suffering from vibration is crimped.

So will those connectors with solder in the middle work? Probably will. But it's not the right way to do it is my point.

A properly crimped conductor will conduct better than a solder joint. You also have the issue if it is a power line vs. signal and you start drawing enough amperage through it it is going to warm up.

Do what you will ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: langsbr

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
To go on, Why would anyone want to drag out a soldering iron to work on in a car in cramped spaces? Dripping blobs of solder, heating up the conductors correcting to get a good solder joint and not a cold solder joint, having a 500 degree iron that you can't sit down anywhere without damaging some plastic of insulation, having to drag out your iron and get an extension cord just to use it, dealing with flux and tinning the wires, cleaning the tip of the iron? F that noise.

This will work fine for most people, simple, repeatable, fast:

19015158_primary_450px.jpg

Also comes with a built in stripper.

You can get one with multiple jaws depending on the contacts you are using:

s-l300.jpg

Look at how nice this is, just cover with some shrink wrap if you are concerned. A heat gun works at much lower temps than an iron:

single-crimp.jpg

these are nice quick strippers with a built in crimper:

15107.jpg

Honestly, I would rather we discuss the more fun type of strippers.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Honestly, I would rather we discuss the more fun type of strippers.
Surely you jest.

Okay I have a lot of wire strippers. Here are my favorite three:

Stripmaster Wire stripper ... automagic wire strippers are fun, kind of like the Rube Goldberg Machine for wire strippers. Their fun, I guess. Whatever.
411Noy+j-cL.jpg

Stahlwille wire strippers - these are the finger type, use them in the garage all the time. Just stick the wire in and press, strips any size wire you throw at it.
wire-stripping-pliers.jpg
StewMac 2 in 1 Wire stripper cutters - Out of left field, I love these stripper. Just really convenient. Flip'em and you have cutters. Not too large, convenient handling. Probably my favorite of a half-dozen wire strippers ...
2-in-1_Wire_Cutter_Stripper.jpg

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I always thought automatic wire strippers would not work well. Then I bought a set. They are awesome.

https://protoolwarehouse.com/28-3-8...MIyfjsj5Pw3AIVFdtkCh29gAvsEAQYASABEgKvIvD_BwE

I have these in 3 different sizes. They are awesome for removing a rounded off bolt head etc. No BS, they grip so hard you can grab onto a pipe latter and do pull ups without the wrench slipping. I watched a 160 pound guy do pull ups at a SnapOn demo with one of theses.

Is there an equivalent at non snap on prices? Hard to justify for a hobby mechanic.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Is there an equivalent at non snap on prices? Hard to justify for a hobby mechanic.
Cool tool. Never knew about that. Seems useful if one was in a situation where one had room to wield something that size.

That said, here are more reasonable prices - from Bahco and Knipex - two top European brands. This is the kind of thing you search for on Warehouse Deals and wait to snag it at a deal. I just did that with a 5 piece long screwdriver set from Wiha ... $24 but snagged for $17 on Warehouse Deals. Used those screwdrivers today ... fabulous.

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus