Buy this, Not that!

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Given the coloring I assume it is the same Weller as my $100+ simple soldering iron. Quality products. Life is too short for shitty tools.

Granted I barely use the thing which is a shame. Just not much soldering going on any more as I don't often touch PCBs.
Just used mine today, it's the cheaper model 30 or 40 bucks I think. Works great, has 3 lights on it. Good tools đź‘Ť

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Given the coloring I assume it is the same Weller as my $100+ simple soldering iron. Quality products. Life is too short for shitty tools.

Granted I barely use the thing which is a shame. Just not much soldering going on any more as I don't often touch PCBs.
I use a Hakko. Weller stuff is good. Before the Hakko I had a Pace digital soldering iron - eBay one can buy used lab soldering irons at reasonable prices. I just picked up a hot air rework station so I could do the IC work on the EKP ... thinking I could have used my small heat gun and foregone another piece of equipment ... oh well!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I use a Hakko. Weller stuff is good. Before the Hakko I had a Pace digital soldering iron - eBay one can buy used lab soldering irons at reasonable prices. I just picked up a hot air rework station so I could do the IC work on the EKP ... thinking I could have used my small heat gun and foregone another piece of equipment ... oh well!

A a hot air rework station is useful! You will not regret having it around.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Oh no, did you get it out?
No, after drilling it the hole was a little offset and could not get the tap to bite. Was a huge pain since we had to pull the radiator and a bunch of stuff to get access in the front. He found a used housing on Ebay for about $100 so it will have to sit for about a week but I'll get it fixed for him.
I just feel bad since I was turning the wrench and even stopped and reset it once because I thought it should have clicked and never did. Rookie mistake by me.

• Sad
Reactions: NoQuarter

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Looking for TQ wrench recommendations. My cheap one failed and I snapped a bolt in a friends E46 oil filter housing.
I own a lot of torque wrenches ... like 10 of them. Most are higher end units. I hate to say this but for short money the Harbor Freight units have reasonable tolerances. If you care enough:

Other than that, my standard advise on tools is to buy Made in Taiwan - best bang for buck. Think Japanese quality without America/German/French/Italian pricing. Brands that are frequently made in Taiwan include Gearwrench and Tekton.

Reactions: NoGuru

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ok ... posting the reply above, I have another share. So Gearwrench has the 120xp line - 3 degree click ... stuff is fantastic, and I've mentioned it before. I have the full flexhead ratchet set. But I'd like to get a set of standard (not flex) 120XP ratchets.

Lo and behold ... Sata is identical to Gearwrench. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1ZRZ29/ ... about $60 shipped from Amazon. These FREQUENTLY show up on Warehouse Deals (www.warehousedeals.com - Amazon's outlet for damaged boxes, returns, etc). Turns out these are in a plastic container that frequently damage. Both my son and I bought sets for about $45 on Warehouse deals. Absolutely criminal. Fantastic quality.

71TruUKsn3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: I am Jacks N54

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I own a lot of torque wrenches ... like 10 of them. Most are higher end units. I hate to say this but for short money the Harbor Freight units have reasonable tolerances. If you care enough:

Other than that, my standard advise on tools is to buy Made in Taiwan - best bang for buck. Think Japanese quality without America/German/French/Italian pricing. Brands that are frequently made in Taiwan include Gearwrench and Tekton.
I recently bought an eTork torque wrench. I like it because while it has the digital display, it's a traditional twist to increase/decrease and has the satisfying click instead of just the buzz. Lifetime warranty as well.

Reactions: NoGuru

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have Tekton torque wrenches and ratchets.

I have had some problems with their ratchets locking up and they have handled that perfectly and I had a torque wrench make a weird rattle sound internally that I didn't like and they sent one out right away.

Reactions: fmorelli and NoGuru

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
They are the best, trusty old analog tools.

My sons come and use my tools in the shop all the time because their new fancy schmacy tools keep stuffing up.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

Attachments

• BMW Torque Values.pdf
    172.4 KB · Views: 23