Buy this, Not that!

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Here are those lights in use...
I bought something similar from Milwaukee that clamps on to the hood like that. When I open the hood, it blocks the ceiling lights and you can't see anything. The light is a game changer and uses the same batteries as my Milwaukee ratchet

(Not my pic)
8g3lj1s3xs941.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The Milkwaukee light is excellent. It's expensive. How so? Only buy it if you are already on the Milwaukee system. If you buy it as your first Milwaukee electric tool, you will end up buying lots of other Milwaukee electric tools.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: AzNdevil and Torgus

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
The Milkwaukee light is excellent. It's expensive. How so? Only buy it if you are already on the Milwaukee system. If you buy it as your first Milwaukee electric tool, you will end up buying lots of other Milwaukee electric tools.

Filippo

I LOVE their tools but their lights are very expensive. I snag some of their tools on Ebay but sheesh... I have a limit.

That being said, I tried to save money on an under-hood light and it has been terrible; battery life sucks, can't charge and use it, etc... wish I had picked up the Milwaukee.

Loving the recommendations for the separate lights and the cheaper ratchet set though! My Milwaukee ratchet was not cheap.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Those lights i show can be plugged in or on battery. I like to be able to have on all day vs swapping batteries

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I LOVE their tools but their lights are very expensive. I snag some of their tools on Ebay but sheesh... I have a limit.

That being said, I tried to save money on an under-hood light and it has been terrible; battery life sucks, can't charge and use it, etc... wish I had picked up the Milwaukee.

Loving the recommendations for the separate lights and the cheaper ratchet set though! My Milwaukee ratchet was not cheap.
The lights are worth it. Specifically the long hood light and this one, which you can run with the small battery (as shown) or a flat bottom battery, which then stands up very well. Use this light all the time. In fact own two of them ...

Filippo

Milwaukee-M12-LED-Light-Stick.jpg

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
The lights are worth it. Specifically the long hood light and this one, which you can run with the small battery (as shown) or a flat bottom battery, which then stands up very well. Use this light all the time. In fact own two of them ...

Filippo

View attachment 48398
Oh yeah that one is on my list.

I have the square, short one.. Rover...

1611255895983.png

It is OK. Shines light everywhere and stands on its own but it is bulky and quite often I can't get it in the spot I want. Also loves to shine right in my eyeballs.

I buy a few tools from https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-...k-Light-220-Lumens-Tool-Only-New/333311465804

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Oh yeah that one is on my list.

It is OK. Shines light everywhere and stands on its own but it is bulky and quite often I can't get it in the spot I want. Also loves to shine right in my eyeballs.

Yes buy the one I showed you - solves that problem and very bright. Most used lights I have. And get this kind of battery as well.

Filippo

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Yes buy the one I showed you - solves that problem and very bright. Most used lights I have. And get this kind of battery as well.

Filippo

View attachment 48426
Awesome, will do.

Those 6.0s are pricey!

You think the single 6.0 is better than a combo of dual 3.0s for $99? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...0-Ah-Battery-Pack-2-Pack-48-11-2412/203630471

I have a 1.0 (1.5?), 3.0 and 6.0 already... One for each tool... haha

[EDIT]: Purchased that small light! Thanks @fmorelli

Last edited:

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
@fmorelli Yeah the big milwaukee light is pricey but I did already have a bunch of their other stuff like you mentioned. It's definitely bright and made changing injectors a lot easier.

Anyone have recommendations for a reasonably quiet air compressor? Maybe 30gallons or so.

PXL_20201120_225838418.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Awesome, will do.

Those 6.0s are pricey!

You think the single 6.0 is better than a combo of dual 3.0s for $99? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...0-Ah-Battery-Pack-2-Pack-48-11-2412/203630471

I have a 1.0 (1.5?), 3.0 and 6.0 already... One for each tool... haha

[EDIT]: Purchased that small light! Thanks @fmorelli
Buy the knock off batteries. They work fine. I've bought a number of them. Zero have failed in 3-4 years.

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I wish this thread saw posts a few times a week, so I could be even more broke :grimacing:

I recently purchased a screw clamp driver from Ideal-Tridon for american-sized constant tension clamps. Well made, works well, interchangeable head. https://www.idealtridon.com/catalog/index.html#p=26

Next ... Gearwrench makes a long pick. https://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-84012h-long-90-pick.html ... this thing is super handy. One way to use this is to help lift tabs on fasteners, especially those down in the engine compartment. Slide the tip under the tab. DO NOT TWIST the tip and break the tab off. The pick is just tall enough to lift the tab above the detent, so you can wiggle the connector apart without breaking anything. Takes a little practice, but do it several times and you can be a pro.

If you want to see a video of using pick tool in action, Andrew Rodriguez does a great job.

71L5PpFd1dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGuru

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is not a tool ... ok a chemical tool? But last couple years I've been buying this Car Guys Premium Wheel Cleaner by the gallon. Yeah looks pricey but it works very well. Reasonable, cost-wise, to purchasing individual 16oz spray containers of most any wheel cleaner. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D94MT2U/

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
This is not a tool ... ok a chemical tool? But last couple years I've been buying this Car Guys Premium Wheel Cleaner by the gallon. Yeah looks pricey but it works very well. Reasonable, cost-wise, to purchasing individual 16oz spray containers of most any wheel cleaner. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D94MT2U/
I just ceramic coated my rims to help. I use this stuff Chemical Guys Diablo Cleaner, but you still have to actually use it :) With it being the rainy season now, washing my car is not a priority as it's getting wet almost daily regardless. Driving in the rain seems to cause enough friction to keep my rims clean too.

Yes, I drive in the rain....

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Here's another tool I highly recommend. Weller Xcelite NN7776VN Long Nose Plier. I own a lot of pliers, and multiple sets, in the garage, my workshop, and the other workshop where I work. Most are Knipex. But this set of Weller pliers is superb. Very precise and most importantly stiff tongs that do not deflect when grasping and twisting - this is a common issue for needle nose, especially when they are this thin. Fantastic for electronics work, and sturdy enough for the garage. I own 3 sets of these.

They don't look like much, nor do they look exciting. But after using a set for a month, I bought two more for all my work shops.

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Here's another tool I highly recommend. Weller Xcelite NN7776VN Long Nose Plier. I own a lot of pliers, and multiple sets, in the garage, my workshop, and the other workshop where I work. Most are Knipex. But this set of Weller pliers is superb. Very precise and most importantly stiff tongs that do not deflect when grasping and twisting - this is a common issue for needle nose, especially when they are this thin. Fantastic for electronics work, and sturdy enough for the garage. I own 3 sets of these.

They don't look like much, nor do they look exciting. But after using a set for a month, I bought two more for all my work shops.

View attachment 55608

Given the coloring I assume it is the same Weller as my $100+ simple soldering iron. Quality products. Life is too short for shitty tools.

Granted I barely use the thing which is a shame. Just not much soldering going on any more as I don't often touch PCBs.