Build Docs: My E90 Single turbo Widebody

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Updates:
Made a video yesterday. Still working on little $#@!. In the meantime I've installed a set of Ohlins R&T, got the Spec Stage3 installed with the SMFW, changed the oil pan gasket, and finished the PI setup. Front of the widebody was redone. Oil leaks are all gone. I've also installed a new underbody cover since the car didn't have one.

Current issues include gas gauge not reading correctly (ran out of gas at 1/8th tank) and creaking suspension. I pulled both fuel tank assemblies and ensured their floats were not obstructed. I hope it solves the problem.

This is on 20psi and 100% E85. I'm testing the PI setup now.

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Ohlins R&T and Spec Stage3+ with MFactory SMFW.
i_1.jpg
i_2.jpg

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
HUGE Update

So big I had to bold it. I've let the thread languish and for that I apologize. I found the tank ventilation issue, it was quite obvious what was wrong when I checked. So far everything seems to be running quite well other than some overboost issues early.

Tank vent problem was because the exhaust builder plugged up the ventilation lines with stoppers that fit inside the lines. These were preventing flow and causing a lot of problems. I thought I got them all when first putting the evap stuff back on the car, but I missed one and this was causing all the trouble. I didn't see it until I made an effort to trace every single ventilation part. I now know far more about the fuel evap system than I ever cared to, but that's par for the course on this build lol.

The biggest news is that I got the car dynoed on Saturday. It was a dynojet 224 and I can't say I was 'satisfied' with the results because I just want more and more; but I am very happy with how the car is performing so far.

IATs were jumping quickly in the run due to poor air and ventilation; the back of the facility was not open and there was a wall about 10 feet from the back of my car along with shelves and other shit. The front of the car was exposed to direct sunlight and cooled by a tiny fan. My coolant and oil temps was getting up there and had some long cooldown times as a result.

My best run was 746whp with a peak torque of 721ft-lbs at 32psi. This was a big peak due to boost overshoot of 2-3 psi and a throttle closure due to the boost failsafe being 34psi. Once it settled, it was around 600-650ft-lbs. I have been told that the issue was exacerbated by the dyno operator starting the run way too late (hitting around 3400-3500rpms) and obviously he didn't run it to redline. This was my first real dyno experience on my own car so I was watching way too many things to catch this including datalogging and videoing the run.
banghead.gif

Dyno image isn't great, you can see some irregularities. I highly doubt I'll ever go back to this dyno.

j_1.jpg

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
And now we're caught up.

Update
I now have AKG 75D subframe bushings and Whiteline diff bushings ready for install. I also purchased the 1000whp DSS axles from Tony and was able to find a low-mileage pre 03/08 differential for a MT car for a reasonable price.

Once I order the MFactory LSD (birthday present lol), it's all going to go in at once. I figure it will transform the car significantly!

Reactions: doublespaces

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Well I have all the same suspension mods, finishing my VM top mount install soon. I can only fit 275s in the rear and I'm sure I will need more tread back there!

I can tell you from experience, that it won't be enough for street tires if you're running E85 lol. With the cooler air now, 3rd is starting to spin a bit when the torque ramp hits. 2nd is useless now even at 20psi.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Damn Sered, this is an amazing thread. That exhaust is pretty throaty! Also, any particular reason people are going ohlins? I First I heard of someone running those was Shiv back when he did 10's for the first time, and now I've seen them more and more as of late.

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Damn Sered, this is an amazing thread. That exhaust is pretty throaty! Also, any particular reason people are going ohlins? I First I heard of someone running those was Shiv back when he did 10's for the first time, and now I've seen them more and more as of late.
The dual-core valve makes them a great street and track solution. They ride extremely well yet respond to spirited driving. Rear springs are a bit soft but that's because they are dialed in for stock bushings. I may go stiffer after the LSD and bushings are done.

Wow this is a sick and extensive build!
Thanks, much appreciated :)

Reactions: 335iHaroon

Tweedle335

Private
Dec 1, 2016
Illinois
Love the build. Just looking through this and all the updates makes me want to actually build a 335 someday. I'm young and don't have the money to do everything I'd want to to my current 335, but especially after reading this, I could see myself picking another one up in the future and building it big. Love it!