BOV blowing oil all over engine bay...

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Just trying to sort this all out. Car has been down due to laziness since last July. Got it back on the road today, and when I got back from ~15 min of driving, the BOV had "shot" oil all over the place.

Car has a Motiv700 kit, BMS OCC plumbed to filter inlet like the old fftec bottom mount kits, HPF IC, tial BOV from my old CP-e charge pipe, Motiv PI that is installed but not connected electrically, and other miscellaneous stuff.

OCC is dry, OCC lines are dry, CP had standing oil in it(pic below). The only thing I can think is that the turbo is blown and pushing oil passed the seals into the intake stream. The only other way I would see oil getting into the intake path is through the OCC, but its dry.

Thoughts? The turbo has maybe 1k miles on it...

IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG

Last edited:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Many think ST's are bulletproof but they are not, in fact we get ST guys contacting us about bad turbos regularly. So this could be your issue, if you suspect this pull off your air filter/inlet/downpipe and see if you can identify any play or oil on one or both of the wheels. The good news is that if it is bad the singles are still a simpler turbo swap than twins would've been.

All the above aside (and we realize you said your OCC is dry) we would still suggest compression/leakdown testing your engine to give it an absolute clean bill of health, as you do not want to install a new turbo on an engine with blowby issues.

Rob

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Many think ST's are bulletproof but they are not, in fact we get ST guys contacting us about bad turbos regularly. So this could be your issue, if you suspect this pull off your air filter/inlet/downpipe and see if you can identify any play or oil on one or both of the wheels. The good news is that if it is bad the singles are still a simpler turbo swap than twins would've been.

All the above aside (and we realize you said your OCC is dry) we would still suggest compression/leakdown testing your engine to give it an absolute clean bill of health, as you do not want to install a new turbo on an engine with blowby issues.

Rob
You have a specific kit/kits you recommend tool wise to check leakdown and compression?

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Pulled a bunch of parts out of the engine bay today. The turbo inlet filter is engine oil free, as well as the OCC and OCC lines to the turbo inlet and to the flapper valve. Turbo compressor inlet has a little standing oil in it as can be seen in the pic and there is slight radial shaft play. Turbo has maybe 1k miles on it. It's looking like there may be something to the Xona failures after all.

Just got my compression and leakdown test kits today from Amazon, and plan to give it a shot this weekend after I get back from a work trip. If anyone has a link to a detailed how to for compression and leak down, it would be much appreciated.

IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Ball bearing turbo should have next to zero radial shaft play.

So it might be true then, Xona turbo is having having some QC issues right now.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Ahhh shit. This reminds me of when my comp turbo blew and sent oil thru lol sounds like that might be it.

Attachments

• DB1AE827-6E74-4795-B277-2305B1EEDC73.png
    DB1AE827-6E74-4795-B277-2305B1EEDC73.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 286
  • Sad

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Ahhh shit. This reminds me of when my comp turbo blew and sent oil thru lol sounds like that might be it.
That is exactly how my bay looked after a couple very low boost (5-7psi) spurts, just not as much oil all over.

Too bad my turbo is 2-3 years old now...I doubt anyone would warranty it after so long, eventhough it only has ~1k miles on it.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
It was a comp lol wouldn’t boost much and drank oil without smoking.
But you replaced the turbo and that fixed everything? The front seal is all I can imagine it being, but want to make sure I'm not missing potential failure points or linked causes like pcv issues causing oil to push past the seal or something like that.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
But you replaced the turbo and that fixed everything? The front seal is all I can imagine it being, but want to make sure I'm not missing potential failure points or linked causes like pcv issues causing oil to push past the seal or something like that.

Yup new pte fixed it. Was front seal just pouring oil to IC. Once the PTE went on and i started boosting a bit. It started to shoot all the oil up and out.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I heard a few whispers about xona having issues as well. When you get your car back together, might consider putting putting some sort of capture around your bov and reclocking it to a more favorable position

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I heard a few whispers about xona having issues as well. When you get your car back together, might consider putting putting some sort of capture around your bov and reclocking it to a more favorable position

Lol, careful what you say you'll get xona and tial mad at you.

• Funny

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Capture and clocking? I hope you you forgot your sarcasm brackets.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Capture and clocking? I hope you you forgot your sarcasm brackets.

I haven't seen your chargepipe setup so I can't say how realistic that is, totally possible on mine. Maybe something has gone completely over my head?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I haven't seen your chargepipe setup so I can't say how realistic that is, totally possible on mine. Not sure if something has gone completely over my head though
Well, clocking the blow off valve wouldn't do anything. It's a round valve over a round hole. Capture wise, you don't want to put something around it because its purpose is to flow to atmosphere without impedance.