BOV blowing oil all over engine bay...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well, clocking the blow off valve wouldn't do anything. It's a round valve over a round hole. Capture wise, you don't want to put something around it because its purpose is to flow to atmosphere without impedance.
I didn't think about that but that isn't true for all bovs, some are directional which is actually what I had in mind when I made that statement. I did however think about the restriction, and I'm not suggesting an air tight enclosure. Something that will simply keep the oil from spraying everywhere. A box for example, or cardboard taped up in the right places.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I didn't think about that but that isn't true for all bovs, some are directional which is actually what I had in mind when I made that statement. I did however think about the restriction, and I'm not suggesting an air tight enclosure. Something that will simply keep the oil from spraying everywhere. A box for example, or cardboard taped up in the right places.
I'd rather just fix the issue causing the oil from being in the intake air stream. :p

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'd rather just fix the issue causing the oil from being in the intake air stream. :p

Clearly, but then once you start the car back up and let it rip, you're going to get the remaining oil shooting out unless you take out your entire charge system and clean it. I'm pretty sure I've seen @Payam@BMS mention this before which is why I say this.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Clearly, but then once you start the car back up and let it rip, you're going to get the remaining oil shooting out unless you take out your entire charge system and clean it. I'm pretty sure I've seen @Payam@BMS mention this before which is why I say this.
Oh for sure. I've got everything but the intercooler out now and plan on removing it and cleaning everything. The oil film/puddling will remove efficiency, and I want to get it back to the baseline.

Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
IMG_1627.JPG

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Is it possible these oil related failures on Xonas are caused by too much oil feed? I know on my gen 1 5862 I had to run a restrictor on the feed. Not sure if the same is true on BB turbos. I should probably look into this before I run my new BB 6266...

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Is it possible these oil related failures on Xonas are caused by too much oil feed? I know on my gen 1 5862 I had to run a restrictor on the feed. Not sure if the same is true on BB turbos. I should probably look into this before I run my new BB 6266...
I was asked if I was running the proper restrictor. When I got the turbo it came with literature that says the turbo is internally restricted and not to add any restrictor or it will void the warranty. Sadly, whatever the cause, I'm well outside of the warranty on time.

• Agree
Reactions: 08_335i

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
I was asked if I was running the proper restrictor. When I got the turbo it came with literature that says the turbo is internally restricted and not to add any restrictor or it will void the warranty. Sadly, whatever the cause, I'm well outside of the warranty on time.
Yup I checked my 6266 BB and it has a tag attached at the feed insert stating the same thing.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Yup I checked my 6266 BB and it has a tag attached at the feed insert stating the same thing.
In talking with Chris, he said we do need to run a restrictor. After looking around more, I apparently did install it. Now I just need to pull the turbo and send it over to Jake and Chris so they can have FP/Xona do a rebuild/root cause diagnosis.
IMG_1640.JPG

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Yeah my PTE says to not remove, or even adjust the piece that's already in there as it could damage blah blah blah, voids warranty.

Reactions: chadillac2000

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Yeah my PTE says to not remove, or even adjust the piece that's already in there as it could damage blah blah blah, voids warranty.
My old 6466 must be where I remember that from then since the Motiv Xona kits do in fact get an "additional" restrictor.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Man that sucks. The xonas were supposed to be so great. My gen 1 PTE 5862 lasted 20k miles and is about to go onto a different car...
I wouldn't count the Xonas out yet. Jake and crew have seen far more of them fielded than any of us. So, if they're still selling kits with them, then I'd say it's a more isolated issue that I'm having. I'll know more after I send the turbo back too. So, I just to get fully motivated and finish pulling it out of the car.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Finished pulling the turbo this morning and discovered there is definitely shaft play. Not enough for either of the wheels to make contact with the housings, but still there nonetheless. Will be sending the turbo out this coming week to see if the play is excessive and the cause of my issues.