Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
What you up to Torg?

Some upgrades...

Precision Raceworks Stage 3.75 v2 bucketed or stage 4 LPFP w/ upgraded fuel lines
Precision Raceworks in tank filter regulator assembly
Precision Raceworks n54 ignition kit
Forward facing intake manifold w/ PI and CP
M18 Valve cover and dual radium catch cans
Motiv Reflex w/ all options + tune by Jake@Motiv

I am sure I am forgetting some stuff...basically I want to be able to run full E85 and max out my 6466. Be nice to get into the 700s. Also, make my engine bay look a bit less shitty.

Last edited:
Reactions: seb.apprenti

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
WTF were they thinking???
edl-7141_xl.jpg

PHR_01011046.png

It is more common than you think...I am just happy they offer it without the logo.

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
What are the differences between the two? Thinking about doing the same I'm suspicious my plastic manifold is cracked and a new one is $1k.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Well yeah.

Question stands though, anyone know the differences off hand between the BMP and plaza/FF manifolds?

I will start by saying that an aftermarket intake manifold on the N54 does little. The benefit is built in Port Injection, protection from backfires(the plastic manifold will blow apart but this should be fixed by now via mhd software I believe), and looks. The stock n54 head is very restrictive. With a fully worked head w/ cams I am sure there are decent gains with an aftermarket intake manifold. Without the head work or cams no one has posted significant gains that can justify the cost of a plaza/ff manifold.

The alibaba/ebay/BMP intake manifolds all seem to be the same design that I can see. However the BMP model: https://www.precisionraceworks.com/bmp-n54-performance-forward-facing-manifold-bundle.aspx <--comes with phenolic gasket, tested injectors, extension harness, fuel line, and ff charge pipe.

They are all forward facing tapered log style manifolds which is ideal:
08c14f4ebe4a34d16cbf0b69087d61a7.jpg

They all seem to have about the same runner length. None are super short or super long, all seem to be port matched to the head correctly. You can read online all about runner length but generally shorter is better for higher rpms and horse power while longer is better for low end tq.

They all have about the same plenum volume. The plaza/ff may have a tiny bit more vs BMP. Again, you can read online about plenum volume and what is ideal. A lot of intake manifold design matters a lot while NA but with FI not nearly as important as the air is literally forced in.

Now what really matters, in my opinion is the air inlets inside the plenum attached to each runner. What you want is velocity stacks or trumpets spaced off the floor. The floor and walls of an intake manifold are the slowest moving air. By spacing the V stack off the floor it can work as intended and actually help. As far as I know the only manifold that has this is the FF manifold and I think the M18 manifold if I recall correctly.
16397d1501288661-intake-manifold-design-manifold-3.jpg

At the end of the day an aftermarket N54 intake manifold has probably the worst bang for your buck of all power adding mods if you subtract the Port Injection. You would be better off buying and installing cams. Or, for 2k which is what the FF/plaza go for I believe just buy a bigger single turbo ;)

Remember people can make 700 and 800 whp with the stock manifold with a simple port injection plate/spacer. The gains are minimal.

As far as the VTT FF knock off intake manifold I would stay the hell away(VTT is also shit):

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SlowE93

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
@Torgus

Thanks bud. Yeah only reason I'm even considering it is because I'm on ported N53 head with cams and the big Hydra twins.

But, since I won't be running PI for Ethanol (might run it to wash my valves) I'm still undecided on this or just trying a used stock manifold.

My aFe momentum GT intake would also have to go, dunno if I could run a cone filter on my rear inlet pipe (front is relocated already) with a FF manifold.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick primer, helps a lot.

Alex

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
@Torgus

Thanks bud. Yeah only reason I'm even considering it is because I'm on ported N53 head with cams and the big Hydra twins.

But, since I won't be running PI for Ethanol (might run it to wash my valves) I'm still undecided on this or just trying a used stock manifold.

My aFe momentum GT intake would also have to go, dunno if I could run a cone filter on my rear inlet pipe (front is relocated already) with a FF manifold.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick primer, helps a lot.

Alex

Going to overspin the HPFP then and keep DI?

Can't wait to see the dyno of the big hydra twins on full E85.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Going to overspin the HPFP then and keep DI?

Can't wait to see the dyno of the big hydra twins on full E85.

I'm sticking to 93 pump only. There are two E85 stations in my area, both of them 30+ minutes from my house or work. Did E mixes for years and it wore me out.

This build is all about optimizing airflow for pump gas from any station anywhere on the east coast for repeatable reliable power.