BMS Fuel Pump Controller

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
New BMS product in testing phases now, a stand alone universal style fuel pump controller that can run your 2nd (and maybe 3rd) fuel pump.

Installation is really easy. Just give it 12v, ground, it has an output wire to power up your fuel pump, and finally a voltage input for the trigger which you can attach to your map sensor. Inside the box there are two dials, turn on (30% min dutycycle), and max flow (100% dutycycle), so you can set when the pump starts and when it goes max flow, relative to the input voltage or engine boost.

We're also evaluating having the trigger wire read dutycycle so rather than running a wire to the front for boost you can have it trigger off the factory EKP dutycycle for a really clean/simple install. In this trim you could set the 2nd pump to turn on only when the first pump goes 100%.

Finally we should also be able to configure this in a "load balance" mode for those running a single pump but worried about burning out their factory EKP. In that implementation this will sit in parallel with the EKP splitting load to the pump so the EKP sees roughly the same current as a factory fuel pump. More testing required on this specific implementation but it seems promising.

Intro pricing will be around $200.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
No this has nothing to do with the JB4.

Those running JB4 already have options for running their extra pumps via the JB4 high current output or port injection output so wouldn't really need this. :)

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
FYI: I get a 2DED current draw code with the added EOSpeed BPM4 lpfp controller. I hope the BMS fuel pump controller doesn’t do the same.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
FYI: I get a 2DED current draw code with the added EOSpeed BPM4 lpfp controller. I hope the BMS fuel pump controller doesn’t do the same.

If this triggers codes we did something wrong. :)

As for your BPM4 issue not really familiar with that product, are you powering it off your EKP to run an extra pump?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The BPM4 replaces the EKP. Right now I’m only running a single Walbro 450 but it can be upgraded to run multiple pumps.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi

I get a 387f, which I'd guess is the n55 equivalent. Likely since the pm4 still draws current in sleep-mode, as its wired directly to the battery. EOS says it's a wiring issue but I'll hold judgment until my wiring is re-done for the second pump.

Would be interested to know exactly how this new product is wired up in the various modes. The first one seems annoying as hell, and not a fan of waiting on boost or 100% duty cycle, leads to weird issues like you get with a hobb's switch. If the second option can work off of a 30-100% trigger/flow setup without reading the map sensor, that's a definite improvement.
The load-balancer mode sounds nice, but would personally be more interested in a solution for multiple pumps. Curious how smart it is, since of course there's a variety of different pumps out there and would need to offset different amperages. If the latter modes are successfully developed I think this would be a really cool product for people running a stage 2 or stock pump + secondary setup.

Definitely a trade-off of tunability and flexibility for cost, but if you can reliably get the people on stage 2 pumps to stop burning up ekps for $200, kudos.

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
Not to clutter up another vendors thread, but just wanted to clarify a few things.

The BPM4 when in sleep mode draws 23mA of power most bmws have a limit of 40mA current draw while in sleep mode before a code is drawn. So there is likely another module or two that are in the car drawing a small amount of power triggering this shadow code. This has been explained before, and it will not kill your battery.

If this triggers codes we did something wrong. :)

As for your BPM4 issue not really familiar with that product, are you powering it off your EKP to run an extra pump?

The BPM4 completely replaces the factory EKP, it is not in addition to it. It directly reads the CAN messages from the DME and controls the pumps based off the inputs. You canadjust the slope and intercept to change how the pumps react to the signal from the DME.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Not to clutter up another vendors thread, but just wanted to clarify a few things.

The BPM4 when in sleep mode draws 23mA of power most bmws have a limit of 40mA current draw while in sleep mode before a code is drawn. So there is likely another module or two that are in the car drawing a small amount of power triggering this shadow code. This has been explained before, and it will not kill your battery.

The BPM4 completely replaces the factory EKP, it is not in addition to it. It directly reads the CAN messages from the DME and controls the pumps based off the inputs. You canadjust the slope and intercept to change how the pumps react to the signal from the DME.

Sounds interesting... I looked at it but the factory EKP works awesome and everyone already has one so I figured why charge people an arm and a leg to replace it when we can easily augment it to do the job. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Reactions: iminhell1

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
The BPM4 replaces the EKP. Right now I’m only running a single Walbro 450 but it can be upgraded to run multiple pumps.

Got it. You could connect an ammeter to see if it's pulling too much current in sleep mode. Or maybe relocate it's power source to switched power?

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Would be willing to bet the 40ma allotment is for other devices present on the car for the factory and the ekpm puts it over.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Sounds interesting... I looked at it but the factory EKP works awesome and everyone already has one so I figured why charge people an arm and a leg to replace it when we can easily augment it to do the job. Different strokes for different folks. :)
What’s with the passive aggressive jabs about other controllers? This is the second one you’ve posted in this thread. I hope jabs at other products is not going to be the selling point for this product, because I do truly agree with different people looking for different control schemes.

Reactions: T3hD0gg and RNM

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Will this help with the shadow code 2aaf, fuel pump plausibility? I have a stage 2 450 walbro installed.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Will this help with the shadow code 2aaf, fuel pump plausibility? I have a stage 2 450 walbro installed.

Not nessessarily but you could just disable that fault in the flash it's generally meaningless.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
What’s with the passive aggressive jabs about other controllers? This is the second one you’ve posted in this thread. I hope jabs at other products is not going to be the selling point for this product, because I do truly agree with different people looking for different control schemes.

If people want to bring up other approaches in our thread it's fine by us but you have to expect we're also going to offer our opinion on them. And I'm sure our customers want to know why we decided an expensive replacement EKP isn't needed for the platform.

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Not nessessarily but you could just disable that fault in the flash it's generally meaningless.

I have a custom tune via mhd already. By disable, it still shows as an inactive code. Is that what you mean? Or disabling will completely remove the code entirely?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I have a custom tune via mhd already. By disable, it still shows as an inactive code. Is that what you mean? Or disabling will completely remove the code entirely?

They could disable it all together but that specific code just indicates a low fuel pressure variance or under target, generally not much of a concern.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
If people want to bring up other approaches in our thread it's fine by us but you have to expect we're also going to offer our opinion on them. And I'm sure our customers want to know why we decided an expensive replacement EKP isn't needed for the platform.
If you look at eospeed’s comment, which was a direct answer to a direct question, you’ll notice they said absolutely nothing about one product being better or worse in any way and welcomed your product to the list of offerings...