Ad: BMS BOV Adapter

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What spring rate? I think I’m running the 11lb spring but I’ve never opened it up to confirm.

On a mechanical throttle blade you want to adhere to TiAL's recommendation for matching spring to manifold vacuum. Since we have a fly-by-wire throttle blade that likes to do various things on its own, this isn't really the case. Someone more knowledgable than myself could shine more light on the subject, but there are moments when the throttle blade does not open up entirely immediately after releasing the accelerator. You also have to consider manifold vacuum levels are rarely actually measured and people are just guessing, crossing their fingers when they install the BOV. When you run the AC, your manifold vacuum goes down as well, check it for yourself. I've seen my car only pulling 6 psi of vacuum in the morning with AC enabled, which is a far cry from the 18-20 inches of mercury that people state online.

What this ultimately means, if your spring pressure rating is even slightly stiffer than the amount of vacuum your engine is producing at the instant, then you're putting unnecessary stress on turbo. Being too stiff has negative effects. Being too soft.....? Well nobody can tell me what negative effects that has because there virtually are none in most cases except for some made up shit they have decided in their head. Just run a spring that is one setting too soft per the internet experts and you're doing the turbo a favor.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
What spring rate? I think I’m running the 11lb spring but I’ve never opened it up to confirm.
@Chris@VargasTurboTech posted on this subject not too long ago.
Here's summary post: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/turbo-flutter-mmp-twins.3999/#post-56165 (you can also read the thread)
Here's more on the subject, on an earlier thread, from prior to the linked post: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/bov-setup-for-your-n54.1652/
I just ordered the black spring after reading all this. If Chris is wrong, I'll just mail it to him lol.
Seriously though, I had issues and opening up the BOV line made a huge difference to the good. I've not run the car yet with the black spring (car is apart, winter, yadda yadda).

Hope this helps,

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
There are 2 ports on it, so you can use one for your vacuum side OCC, and the other for the BOV. We're working on a BMS vacuum side OCC kit too, BTW.
This is nice. I went Vader BOV adapter and ended up plumbing Russell hardware (thumbnail attached) into the bottom of the intake manifold for the external low-side PCV setup.

IMHO the BMS BOV/External PCV adapter solution a slam dunk purchase, especially for anyone running the external PCV config or thinking of going to it in the future. Also, IMHO, I'm probably (subjectively) happier tapping off the canister bung versus doing it the Vader Solutions way for a number of reasons:
  • The VS adapter comes with mounting screws that are not sized the same as the factory thread for mounting to the manifold.
  • The VS adapter adds an additional o-ring seal on the intake side.
  • ^^^^ Respectively I think the BMS solution is just more bulletproof.
  • It solves the vacuum feed in one place.
  • I am still getting complaints from friends that know I have the VS, who have ordered and get no responses or shipments. I keep telling people they have to wait 4-6 weeks, which was my experience and that which others have shared.
  • The BMS solution is less expensive, as a bonus. Whenever I order from BMS, stuff arrives quickly.
  • Supports existing or future external low-side PCV (I can't imagine would want an N54 with the the factory low-side PCV abomination clogging up their intake manifold).
Nice job guys. @Terry@BMS, where the hell were you 9 months ago?! lol ...

Filippo

IMG_20181122_085253.jpg

Last edited:

zaxos_e92

Nov 29, 2018
Ride
‘07 e92 335i
Ordered kit with extras on monday, received friday. Will be installing this week along with hydra hp650s!

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Mine arrived today but didn’t have a chance to install it yet. I got the kit with the BOV connectors and tubing. I also just got a new charge pipe and TIAL Q BOV, which I’ll try instead of my CPE/Forge Diverter Valves. The elbow hard tubing connector fits the TIAL Q perfectly. Note that the ID of the hard tubing that comes with the BMS kit is about 2mm smaller than 1/4” - initially I was concerned the slightly more narrow tubing would be less responsive, but it is a narrower and harder tubing versus a wider and softer (rubber) tubing so there’s probably not a huge difference. Photo:
6C066EC9-2543-4EF0-B2AF-43ED787F640E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@Chris@VargasTurboTech posted on this subject not too long ago.
Here's summary post: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/turbo-flutter-mmp-twins.3999/#post-56165 (you can also read the thread)
Here's more on the subject, on an earlier thread, from prior to the linked post: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/bov-setup-for-your-n54.1652/
I just ordered the black spring after reading all this. If Chris is wrong, I'll just mail it to him lol.
Seriously though, I had issues and opening up the BOV line made a huge difference to the good. I've not run the car yet with the black spring (car is apart, winter, yadda yadda).

Hope this helps,

Filippo
I just measured the vacuum in my manifold (cold idle, not in gear, no AC) and got 16” Hg vacuum (disconnected one of the Forge Diverter valve manifold lines). According to the TIAL Q BOV manifold pressure / spring chart I should be running the 10psi plain spring or maybe the 8psi white spring. Darn thing apparently came with the 11psi yellow spring. :confused:

9CAC68E4-3204-4019-97AB-2B8DC1ADF8DD.jpeg
23D9FA39-6BC2-44D3-8BE6-A8175C82BC3B.jpeg

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
The ID of the hose should be the same ID as the barb fitting supplied by Tial IIRC. :)

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The ID of the hose should be the same ID as the barb fitting supplied by Tial IIRC. :)
The ID of the plastic tubing in the BMS kit is smaller than the barbed TIAL fitting. It’s also plastic, not rubber, so it doesn’t connect to a barbed fitting but rather a push-connect.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Ya, I'll say it also......Aw man, in black?.......

Yes we changed to black, but also raised price $10. :)

On the tubing size is ~0.18" ID but the main problem that caused us to go this route was the rubber hose can collapse under vacuum. The rigidity really makes all the difference.

Reactions: Jeffman

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
The ID of the plastic tubing in the BMS kit is smaller than the barbed TIAL fitting. It’s also plastic, not rubber, so it doesn’t connect to a barbed fitting but rather a push-connect.

I'm not sure where you're getting your measurements from, but maybe I'm not understanding.
You can see for yourself :)

Inner diameter of the plastic line for the push lock fittings we provide.
0.16"

Inner diameter of the barb fitting TIAL provides for their BOV.
0.16"

Attachments

• IMG-4876.JPG
    IMG-4876.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG-4877.JPG
    IMG-4877.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 186

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Sorry if I wasn’t clear...
Apples and oranges...
I think we are talking past each other.
All I’m say’in is the BMS plastic tube doesn’t fit on the TIAL hose connector.