Blankys twins or single

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT

I've always been in love with thermodynamics. Good little video talking about turbo blankets.

Does anyone have any data on twins? I know a company or two makes a set of blankys for the n54...

Discuss.. I'm not for not against just want to discuss :)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I can see benefits, I just don't run a blanket because I don't really want anything that could ever foster a fire one day down there. Plus its not easy to maintain on a bottom mount.

STE92

Corporal
Mar 3, 2017
Ride
E92
On ST is a must have. I also have the exhaust housing ceramic coated, as far as performance gains honestly have no idea if its any better than without the blanket. Definitely keeps the temp under the hood under control, PTP blanket works great.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Funny you brought this up, I was just pondering the same. Seems like it would be a PITA to install but anything that keeps temps down under the hood is a good thing.
Anyone have Data on what the temps are before and after blankets installed?

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
I kinda doubt anyone would but it has to be extremely high. Upwards of 600 maybe. I’d love to hear some #s on it too. At the same time I’d rather stay in the dark, an inexpensive PITA mod is something I would just have to do if there were big benefits, which there probably are

Reactions: NoGuru

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Not worth the trouble on stock frame. The stock manifolds are double walled for insulation already.
I already gave that merit bit to use a product designed to hold in heat not from a budget prospective would be interesting.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
I already gave that merit bit to use a product designed to hold in heat not from a budget prospective would be interesting.
It isnt about budget. But rather the potential headache vs the potential benefits.

Twins use a short log style manifold and two tiny turbos (even the upgraded ones are still tiny). You are not going to see much benefit in spoiling and response by wrapping these up when the stock manifold is already designed to trap good amount of heat. On top of that having something that can soak up oil and stuff down there is a pretty big potential hazard when you have no good way to examine them without taking the undertray off. Plus do you really want to trap that much heat in the turbine housing when we know the internal wastegates on these things are shit?

If you really want, get proper inconel shielding. They are $$$ and you have to take the turbos off and send them off to shops to have them fitted.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I want to see numbers. Lets just say it does drop temps, IDK, 80 degrees under the hood. Would this not increase air temps in the manifold and add a little HP to the mix?

Edit: cloud9, your post came while I was making this one. Those are some good points, especially not being able to do maintenance without a ton of work.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Any time you drop the engine bay temps you're likely to see better IATs but not by a huge amount during a pull IMO. A few degrees as shown in this video. At idle, that is a different story.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I want to see numbers. Lets just say it does drop temps, IDK, 80 degrees under the hood. Would this not increase air temps in the manifold and add a little HP to the mix?

Edit: cloud9, your post came while I was making this one. Those are some good points, especially not being able to do maintenance without a ton of work.
Watch the video. No added hp, but better transient and hp shifted left.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
It isnt about budget. But rather the potential headache vs the potential benefits.

Twins use a short log style manifold and two tiny turbos (even the upgraded ones are still tiny). You are not going to see much benefit in spoiling and response by wrapping these up when the stock manifold is already designed to trap good amount of heat. On top of that having something that can soak up oil and stuff down there is a pretty big potential hazard when you have no good way to examine them without taking the undertray off. Plus do you really want to trap that much heat in the turbine housing when we know the internal wastegates on these things are shit?

If you really want, get proper inconel shielding. They are $$$ and you have to take the turbos off and send them off to shops to have them fitted.

Like I stated above not really for nor against.. just curious.. actually bi curious because I have hybrids I suppose lol

Dyno numbers would be cool but even to get a good tuners perspective of before and after of his tune...

I agree we may have the worst test subject of twins possible but it may have pros in under hood temps, possibly altering the tune ect..
I also agree that they are a potential Hazzard but I think the people interested would be the kind that are anal and have a very tidy bay.. it's not exactly on the list of FBO just yet lol

All points taken but like I said more curiosity than expectations :)

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think it is an interesting subject, however I think the value of the modification from a financial and effort perspective is out of wack, and likely the main reason people don't mess with it.

Jmw3607

Private
Feb 7, 2017
Ride
08 335i e92
If I were to go to the trouble of getting to the twins to put a blanket it would be for the purpose of removing them entirely to go single and then blanket the single lol