E9X Aux rad kit on N55 E90 Auto

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If you've seen my build thread, you'd know I've done a good bit of work with this thing, on the E93/E92. First of all, I can say that the OEM cores are not good. I can't say that the cooling effect you'd get from this thing would really be worth the hassle. I'm not sure about the plumbing fitting an N55, but for the core and brackets, it should fit. The ducting however will require that you have an LCI most likely and then source the correct ducts.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
If you've seen my build thread, you'd know I've done a good bit of work with this thing, on the E93/E92. First of all, I can say that the OEM cores are not good. I can't say that the cooling effect you'd get from this thing would really be worth the hassle. I'm not sure about the plumbing fitting an N55, but for the core and brackets, it should fit. The ducting however will require that you have an LCI most likely and then source the correct ducts.

Doubles, Where's your build thread? I'm curious why you think the OEM cores are not good.
Thoughts about this one? https://www.spoolstreet.com/forums/threads/trans-cooler-kit.1872/

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Here is the link, you'll probably have to sift through it probably near the end to see the trans cooler stuff: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/2009-e93-ad-e-single-turbo-build.959/

The OEM ppk core can't get trans temps below 180* while cruising on the freeway. Its just inferior to a setrab core. That kit seems like a good one, I heard it performs. I can't comment on it much more than that however. If you want a central cooler, there is that and there is also another one, its a dual pass core that is wider and fits the space given. If you're interested in a fender mounted trans cooler, I'm working on that. Maybe another week or so before I can get back to work on it. The details are in that build thread.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I assume BMW did some R&D on this setup and I agree that there are better heat ex hangers out there. I have a secondary radiator (smallish Fluidyne for an ATV) on my RX-8 and it works very well.