Anyone thought of building a connected drive server?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Mind copy and pasting? I don't have a login there and I'm lazy. Also, connected drive works, but only for newer cars, if that is what you were seeing.

It's 51 pages of posts but guys have completely hacked the pre NBT CIC but that is a separate thread in and of itself

Essentially they enable tethering via coding and if you have the 2nd gen Idrive (not the newest) this allows connection. They use a US or Russian Vin for European cars and once the CIC is connected to the net they follow some simple steps to re connect to their connected drive accounts. Supposedly still has all previous settings saved etc. as well.

If that is what you guys are trying to solve I can sift through the thread and find the nuggets of usefulness and paste here this evening.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It's 51 pages of posts but guys have completely hacked the pre NBT CIC but that is a separate thread in and of itself

Essentially they enable tethering via coding and if you have the 2nd gen Idrive (not the newest) this allows connection. They use a US or Russian Vin for European cars and once the CIC is connected to the net they follow some simple steps to re connect to their connected drive accounts. Supposedly still has all previous settings saved etc. as well.

If that is what you guys are trying to solve I can sift through the thread and find the nuggets of usefulness and paste here this evening.
Fan-tabulous. Please do

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Yea, no problem.
It'll be separate instructions for guys that had connected drive and guys that have a combox but never had the feature. The latter being a bit more involved. I finally got my new car pc this morning so I can finish my CIC input diy but will work on this as well.

I still hate you guys for ignoring me on page 1 tho

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yea, no problem.
It'll be separate instructions for guys that had connected drive and guys that have a combox but never had the feature. The latter being a bit more involved. I finally got my new car pc this morning so I can finish my CIC input diy but will work on this as well.

I still hate you guys for ignoring me on page 1 tho

I honestly don't fully understand what Connected Drive can do, nor do I know the full benefits of the telematics version of the combox over the media version for instance. So that is why I gave you the cold shoulder, it wasn't intentional <3

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
I've been reading through this thread on BMWCoding: http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?386-Connecting-to-car-s-webserver-and-CIC-ftp-server I'm on page 13 now and I think with some jiggering, I'll be able to change the server address that the combox tries to connect with. If I can do that, then it's simply a matter of getting the connection to either transmit via a tether off my phone or by some hackery with the built in GSM modem. Either way, this is looking more and more doable as I dig. I have an ENET-OBD cable arriving today so if I can FTP/Telnet into the combox system like those guys are, there is not much left to achieve in the hurdle of redirecting the combox data!

Exciting days ahead!!

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
SO another thought: I'm pining a support tech at TMobile. They have 2G access and I have an Unlimited everything plan with them. I'm trying to see if I can add my car's combox IMEI to my TMobile account and then edit the combox files to point to my server vs. BMWs. If THAT works, then holy shit, this will be like 1000-times easier than I thought when I first started!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
But what will it cost you for that line on tmobile? I have three unlimited lines with them for $100

Either way, that would be super easy if you could do that. Is this something they have not explored or tried to do in the other thread? If they have so much progress I'm only wondering why they haven't gone the last mile. Or is this just developing for them as well?

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017
@rhodesman did you have to hack up the ENET-OBD adapter? If not, can you link me to the one you ordered?

I think after a few iterations of this, we may be able to instantiate the changes/modifications needed with nothing more than an OTS thumb drive.

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
@rhodesman did you have to hack up the ENET-OBD adapter? If not, can you link me to the one you ordered?

I think after a few iterations of this, we may be able to instantiate the changes/modifications needed with nothing more than an OTS thumb drive.
the OBD-ENET cable has not worked...yet. I was going to crack it open tonight and check the wireing of it with the data others have posted online. I'll report back later tonight!

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017
Apparently some TP link USB-ethernet adapter works via the glovebox. Should be here tomorrow...

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
But what will it cost you for that line on tmobile? I have three unlimited lines with them for $100...

Well T-Mobile said they require the use of their Sim Cards for the network to work... so back to square one on that front. In regards to the other thread, I'm not sure they planned to create their own system to thwart the aged/Dis-Connected Drive system. Granted they have given me a LOT of good idea's of ways to edit/update the combox code however, I still can't get access to it. the ENet cable was a flop and I don't have a compatible USB-ethernet adaptor. Also, I've had to put my work for this on hold because my wife is starting to get upset that I haven't finished with the renovations to our kitchen. So until I get the doors refinished and back on our pantry, I'm not allowed to touch my car :/

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well T-Mobile said they require the use of their Sim Cards for the network to work... so back to square one on that front. In regards to the other thread, I'm not sure they planned to create their own system to thwart the aged/Dis-Connected Drive system. Granted they have given me a LOT of good idea's of ways to edit/update the combox code however, I still can't get access to it. the ENet cable was a flop and I don't have a compatible USB-ethernet adaptor. Also, I've had to put my work for this on hold because my wife is starting to get upset that I haven't finished with the renovations to our kitchen. So until I get the doors refinished and back on our pantry, I'm not allowed to touch my car :/

What eSIM phones? The sim 'card' is going away. Did you try a different carrier, Cricket/MetroPCS or something like that?