Another Atacama Yellow E89 Build Thread (UK)

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
I broke the two outboard lugs off the dashboard when I removed it..on one side my defence was that some Germanic hand maidens had attached a set of GPS leads to part of it..

I decided to buy a second hand one..on arrival it too had the lugs broken..and unlike mine no sign of the broken bits..plus two other major bits damaged ..not bad for £400…

So decided to try and repair mine.

I super glued the lugs back on and then attacked it with a ‘welder’…

Basically it’s a glorified soldering iron head..two off…that uses the current through the metal pin to heat it to red hot..it then melts into the plastic and you let it cool whilst in situ..then you remove the ‘gun’..the pins are push fit into the end so the gun simply detaches itself from the now embedded pin.

There are several versions of the pin.

There is a spatula device to warm bars of material anc melt them as well.

It’s not pretty and needs a degree of finishing but compared to a glued joint much much stronger.

It’s the same effect as re-bar in concrete..

We’ll see how it goes on re-installation..

I was so impressed with it I used some scrap plastic to restructure / add some support to the area in the dash where I had dremeled (with the benefit of hindsight) too much material away..

For areas that are not visible it seems a possible salvation for all those broken clips etc..

There are some videos showing super glue ..the liquid version with binders like cotton wool, bicarbonate of soda, even cigarette ash to support broken parts..but in this case there isn’t the space to use that technique…..

Attachments

• IMG_8702.jpeg
    IMG_8702.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8701.jpeg
    IMG_8701.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8700.jpeg
    IMG_8700.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2476.jpeg
    IMG_2476.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2482.jpeg
    IMG_2482.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 14

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Coming back together …rear cabin cinched up…

New c/f covered roll over hoops with nice leather fronts with themed yellow stitching..

Rear cam now mounted neatly …

Remounted spoiler..my god that 3M tape sticks ..I’ve got the rear slightly mounted off the line on the boot in the middle..looks like a custom diffuser gap…only visible to moles..

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Lurcher

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Audiotec Fischer Match 10 DSP and 12 new speakers coming on stream..setting up soundstages..with the optional Director control in the cabin you can load different sound stages to suit roof down, roof down windows down and roof up..

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: wheela and billj457

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
For
IMG_2576.jpeg
info version 3 of the MMI box with the harness that plugs into the CIC unit pisses on the CAN bus…stopping coding / diagnostic tools accessing the CIC..

Caused many headaches and until a MMI guru tipped me off I was struggling..

Here’s the post from elsewhere..

Got the Mr 12 Volt MMI box online finally..

The replacement later CIC unit I bought to replace my failing original wasn’t coded to support the multi cd player option..(I guess in 2015 why would you)..

The problem being the coding tools couldn’t ‘see’ the CIC unit to work on it.

It turns out the MMI box as it’s fully connected to the CIC in this latest version pisses on the CAN bus stopping coding tools accessing the CIC box.

I took the MMI harness out of the circuit between the car and the CIC and voila..I could now code the change ..

In BimmerCode it’s

CDMM_CHANGER_3 option and change it to mp3_cdc in expert mode within the CIC coding menus..

similar exercise in Protool which I used as I just have the demo mode of BimmerCode

I had been cursing the ID4Motion instrument cluster for this issue..in this case wrongly..

Brians

Jan 22, 2024
Car buttoned up..firmware / software / configs updated ready for test drive tomorrow..

What an insane ride you just went on. I hope there aren’t too many bugs to work out. The result looks amazing! I hope you are pleased with the sound of your new audio system as well. Would love to hear how everything turned out.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
What an insane ride you just went on. I hope there aren’t too many bugs to work out. The result looks amazing! I hope you are pleased with the sound of your new audio system as well. Would love to hear how everything turned out.
I’ll be doing a write up soon..been working my way through bugs, issues, good news etc…🤔👌

Reactions: Brians