A2W Intercooler with A/C - Part 2

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
Any of you guys pursue this at all?

I am interested in an air to water setup, but no way in heck that I would risk killing my ac system to chill the coolant, I think that some sort of cO2 system would be the best bet with a similar heat exchanger to the chiller killer.

The main benefits that I see would be the improved throttle response and reduced pressure drop through the system.

Any idea on a way to quantify the response results?

And as far as performance improvement, flow test? Seems like it would be hard to do a fair dyno comparison using a sub-ambient cooled fluid

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well, the idea would be to run the heater and the AC simultaneously, this would be used in the summer time, so your ac effectiveness would be reduced, if that is what you mean.

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
Great idea, but why not just put a small nozzle of just water injection (no meth, ok maybe a little meth like 10%)
You can make a cheap rudementory system that runs from a 4psi hobs, gets DI water from the washer tank, all going to a relatively small nozzle.

This way there is no fire risk due to water not being flammable, neither is 10% meth.
Small nozzle means there is no risk of hydrolock.
And since it's only being used for cooling there no need for an expensive controller.

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
Well, the idea would be to run the heater and the AC simultaneously, this would be used in the summer time, so your ac effectiveness would be reduced, if that is what you mean.

Yeah, I see that was your intent, not a bad idea, but it seems like the factory AC can barely keep the cabin cold in the summer! The good news is that it would be essentially free to try once you had a w2a setup.

I have an intercooler that fits quite nicely, and am going to see about having some charge pipes made.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeah, I see that was your intent, not a bad idea, but it seems like the factory AC can barely keep the cabin cold in the summer! The good news is that it would be essentially free to try once you had a w2a setup.

I have an intercooler that fits quite nicely, and am going to see about having some charge pipes made.

Yeah, I can't say that it would be great inside the cabin, in fact if it worked well the air would be hot when the AC is on.