A word of caution....

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
When I was looking to do the same thing the only “safe way” to do it was ICOM but there were other options
It has been done with k-DCan cables but is fraught with danger Via Ethernet is another and of course ICOM. There’s also another method though. Installation of a 5 series gateway module(essentially an Ethernet to MOsT gateway) and the other is a bench setup.
I haven’t done any of these myself mind you they’re just what I read at the time.
edit;: one other method... bench setups. There’s a few people on here that have them send your cic and get them to do it for you.

Last edited:

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
@aus335iguy Thanks for the response, since I saw your reply I've been looking into the gateway module thing. Actually thinking of adding one in the car :)) It's about the F10+ 5 series, right? Have you seen anyone doing something like that? Although to be honest most of them that I can find for sale in Romania are about half of what an ICOM costs.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
@aus335iguy Thanks for the response, since I saw your reply I've been looking into the gateway module thing. Actually thinking of adding one in the car :)) It's about the F10+ 5 series, right? Have you seen anyone doing something like that? Although to be honest most of them that I can find for sale in Romania are about half of what an ICOM costs.
I haven’t “seen’ anyone using one directly it’s just something I heard from a business here in Australia famous for factory retrofits suggested. I think I’ve read it in forums somewhere as well since. I have no idea how to make it work though I’d imagine it’s a VO change but how to add it isn’t something I’ve seen an instruction for.

the funniest thing for me was thinking I had old software on my CIC and finding out it had C1A. Because BMW didn’t have control on CIC retrofits they made sure dealers updated them so a lot have it. A CIC on eBay is cheap for what you want to achieve.
My honest opinion is that the CIC system is now surpassed by these new airplay/android auto boxes. Once you have one of them the CIC is old hat

what feature exactly are you doing this for ?

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
I haven’t “seen’ anyone using one directly it’s just something I heard from a business here in Australia famous for factory retrofits suggested. I think I’ve read it in forums somewhere as well since. I have no idea how to make it work though I’d imagine it’s a VO change but how to add it isn’t something I’ve seen an instruction for.

the funniest thing for me was thinking I had old software on my CIC and finding out it had C1A. Because BMW didn’t have control on CIC retrofits they made sure dealers updated them so a lot have it. A CIC on eBay is cheap for what you want to achieve.
My honest opinion is that the CIC system is now surpassed by these new airplay/android auto boxes. Once you have one of them the CIC is old hat

what feature exactly are you doing this for ?
After my research yday, I came upon an F10 ZGW with MOST for $50 which I've already ordered, we'll see how that goes.
My CIC has C06 or C08 (can't remember exactly), I didn't realise the firmware for combox is that big and I've already tried flashing via CAN, which failed because of Winkfp crashing.

The main reason I need it is to get the combox back to life and update CIC so that it works with the combox, the second reason is experimentation, I like to put myself in this kind of difficult situations haha.

I'll get my ZGW tomorrow and I'll try some things, I'll post my findings here. To be honest, having a ZGW in the car doesn't sound bad at all.

Edit: my car is a late 2008 330i E90 that I've converted from RHD to LHD myself. That was an interesting lesson in how these cars work.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
What else does the ZGW give you other than a most gateway?
Well, the MOST gateway would be the most important as I can use it for programming through most, it'd also give me Ethernet access to CIC with programming capabilities aaand the 500kbps KCAN2 which could come in handy sometimes, for example I have a IDrive controller with touch that works on 500kbps and can be used with the CIC (ofc, touch wouldn't really work on it).

Reactions: aus335iguy

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
Got the ZGW yesterday and tried all day to get it working properly. I can connect to it with ESYS and use tool32 to trigger functions, however I can't get it to communicate via MOST with the combox at all. Can't figure out what the CAN messages for ignition on are supposed to be, when I'm using '130#' messages it suddenly stops sending anything on CAN, or maybe my Raspberry PI Canbus setup has some issues, although I've used it in my car on PT-CAN without any hiccups.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
Does it communicate with anything else on the MOST ring ? Is your MOST circuit intact?
No, it doesn't. When I execute the status_mostsystem function it says "NetOff, ConfigNotOk". I used known good fiber and plugs. I also tried adding my old Radio in the circuit to act as MOST master if the ZGW isn't, but that only crashed the ZGW and made it unaccessible.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
I just tried to feed the fiber right back into it and I still get NetOff,ConfigNotOk :(. The car it came from had CIC, MULF and AMP + Kombi iirc, on the MOST ring.
I think it might be looking for CIC (ADDR 0x63) to say something and to be MOST master, URAD2 doesn't have the same addr iirc. I'm going to try this in my car later today.

Last edited:

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
So, I managed to try that. Whenever there's a MOST master in the ring it freezes and even though it still shows up in esys an tool32, whenever I try to run a command it says "DATATRANSMISSION TO INTERFACE DISTURBED".

What is curious though, if I restart it with the MOST plugged out and run the "status_mostsystem" command continuously, plug MOST back in, it'll show "NetOn, ConfigNotOk" for a few seconds (5-10) before freezing again.

I did try to send it ignition CAN messages yesterday on bench but that didn't unfreeze it.

:confused: I still believe this will work somehow, but not yet sure how :)) If we could get this working, it'd be a hell of a good alternative to an ICOM.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
No progress yet, I think I'll have to buy an ICOM. I'll tinker with the ZGW when I have more free time.

pRoxxx

Private
Feb 9, 2021
These boot logo pictures are part of IFS(Image Filesystem), they are stored compressed in a flash, and on every run, they are decompressing with other parts of OS(Kernel,Drivers etc) and going into the RAM.

Last edited: