Technical 5 Bar MAP sensor wiring

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
Hello everyone,

My attempts to purchase a 5 Bar map sensor / harness from ADE have been unsuccessful, have emailed several times without response, and the store still isn't accepting payments.

Can anyone help me out with the part numbers needed for the male and female OEM connector ends, as well as a wiring diagram for how to make this work in conjunction with the stock T-Map like ADE does?

I planning for all the boost on my 135i build and I'm not sure if I'll max the 3.5 bar sensor (29psi?)

Either way it would be nice to have a little more headroom on the sensor than the 3.5 bar can provide. I haven't read good things about the 4 bar sensor.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Not sure but I thought going with a higher than necessary TMAP will provide lower resolution for the dme to see boost unless it can be tuned out (not sure). Basically smaller is better if not exceeded...

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
Not sure but I thought going with a higher than necessary TMAP will provide lower resolution for the dme to see boost unless it can be tuned out (not sure). Basically smaller is better if not exceeded...

I'm not using a factory DME.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST

if your tuning off TPS tables there are a lot of bosch TMAP sensors that will fit and work.
if your wanting to tune off MAP with an integrated TMAP there aren't so many options that go down to 20kpa or less for idle vacuum feedback. for instance bosch part # 0 281 002 437 is a common TMAP with 0.2 - 3 bar range, but then the 3.5bar version jumps to 0.5 - 3.5bar, similar to the N20 sensor. I've tried that already and 0.5 bar isn't low enough on vacuum.

if you got a bosch unit for example the catalogue will have the mating connector and pin input/output defined and re-pin as required. just find a supplier that supplies both sensors and relevant connector for it. my n54 has yellow for the MAP feedback, blue for Temp, red for 5v and black for 0v. looks like the ade harness just splices the 5v supply and 0v ground to go to both sensors taking temp feedback only from the stock sensor and then from there you could use absolutely any pressure sensor that fits your objectives.

Reactions: Hydra Performance

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
moreover if your using syvecs check out the sensor database for air charge temps if you go aftermarket on that sensor. while its easy to get MAP sensor information for just about any pressure sensor you might want to use, I've found it harder to get temperature v voltage data and the relationship is not linear. so if you end up with a random TMAP and want to use the "T" make sure the supplier can provide a voltage v temp table.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
my n54 has yellow for the MAP feedback, blue for Temp, red for 5v and black for 0v.

hmm, maybe check that. I looked at the ade website and can see yellow, blue & black all going to the pressure sensor. not sure why.

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
hmm, maybe check that. I looked at the ade website and can see yellow, blue & black all going to the pressure sensor. not sure why.

I looked at that same pic before making this thread. I'm not sure whats going on there.

I figured on the OEM T-map I would need power, ground, and the temp sensor's signal line

And power, ground and pressure sensors signal line for the AEM 5bar sensor.

The pic on the ADE website only shows two wires going to the factory T-map. Not sure why. (Maybe he posted a pic of an incorrectly wired harness to prevent copy's?)

I'd really like to use the OEM T-Map for temperature since my intake manifold has a place for it to go.

I still need to find the part numbers for those connector ends. I've searched the internets without much luck.

JimmyNeutron

Lurker
Feb 11, 2018
Ride
2009 E90 335i
I plan on making my own harness from an adapter I purchased from BMS and splicing in my own MAP sensor. I couldn't find the female connector for the OEM harness, hence the decision to use my BMS adapter. I'll be using the AEM 30-2130-75, which is a 0-75psia (5 bar) MAP sensor. AEM provides calibration data for this sensor (see link) which is the main reason I chose it, so I was able to make my own .txt file and add the sensor to the SCal sensor database. AEM also provides the sensor pinout (also in the link above). I'm still waiting on my Syvecs to arrive, so I haven't tested this yet.

Below is a generic Bosch TMAP pinout; the bottom drawing is viewed as looking into the sensor. If you're planning on using the stock Bosch TMAP for temperature only, it should only need two wires connected to the ground and NTC resistor pins. The AEM 5 bar will need power, ground, and output to the respective pins - just splice the two ground wires from the two sensors into a single lead to the connector.

Bosch-TMAP-Dimensions.png

• Informative
Reactions: LoBoost

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
@JimmyNeutron Thanks! this is exactly what I needed. I have a BMS adapter that I suppose I'll have to hack up as well.

I searched the internet and came up with the following for those connector ends:

http://kinkong-connector.com/produc...tricwiringconnectorckk7042y-10-11-ID6139.html

That's all I can find on that Hirschmann style connector. I emailed them and asked about minimum order quantity, pin type, etc. Haven't heard back.

This looks to be the other connector, or very close to it:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/socket-housing/12527513331~oem/

JimmyNeutron

Lurker
Feb 11, 2018
Ride
2009 E90 335i
I searched the internet and came up with the following for those connector ends:

http://kinkong-connector.com/produc...tricwiringconnectorckk7042y-10-11-ID6139.html

Yeah, that's all I ended up finding too... that's the part we really need. I just said screw it, I'm hacking up the BMS connector. Not ideal, but that's what I'm doing. Let me know if you decide to use that particular AEM sensor - I'd be happy to share the SCal sensor file I made. I bought mine from Summit Racing for like $150.

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
Yeah, that's all I ended up finding too... that's the part we really need. I just said screw it, I'm hacking up the BMS connector. Not ideal, but that's what I'm doing. Let me know if you decide to use that particular AEM sensor - I'd be happy to share the SCal sensor file I made. I bought mine from Summit Racing for like $150.
Share it !!!

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
Should we make a PNP 5 bar harness? I don't really see the benefit, I haven't seen anyone run over 4bar sensor territory.

Yes please. The internet is filled with posts about bad experiences with the 4 bar sensor. If you build the harness, I will buy one.

Plus, BMS already stocks 2/3 of the connectors required to build the harness, so even if they are low volume there doesn't need to be a large investment in overhead.

JimmyNeutron

Lurker
Feb 11, 2018
Ride
2009 E90 335i
Should we make a PNP 5 bar harness? I don't really see the benefit, I haven't seen anyone run over 4bar sensor territory.

If BMS would be willing to sell this connector, uncrimped pins, and weather seals for me to make my own harness, I'd rather go that route than buying a PNP harness. Would you guys be willing to do that as well?

201807171115433792.jpg

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
@Payam@BMS @JimmyNeutron

Agreed, give me the option to buy the two connector ends, pins, and seals you already use to build your current harnesses and I'll build my own.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Let me see what I can come up with for you guys.

@LoBoost The 4 bar in the past looks to be some knock off we got duped for. We now have OEM 4 bar from Bosch directly, sold over a hundred of those with no reported issues so far.

Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions