Technical #4 Cylinder is dead…any ideas as to what caused the failure?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Well, I got my borescope down into the cylinder last night. The cylinder walls look great, not a scratch or mark in them that I could see. Is it possible that the problem could simply be just a broken ring, and not a ringland? Guess I will get a better look after I pull the motor apart.

At this point...am I better off to just throw a stock piston back in it, or is it worth the money to go ahead and use forged pistons? I'm assuming that woudl require some machien work to get the bores sized right?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
If I have to pull the engine again I'm sleeving/rods/pistons.
Boring out and resleeveing the block is just to add strength...right? I'm assuming you can use forged pistons in the oem sleeved bores as long as you get them hones out for the correct tolerances? For 550-600hp, is sleeving really necessary?

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Boring out and resleeveing the block is just to add strength...right? I'm assuming you can use forged pistons in the oem sleeved bores as long as you get them hones out for the correct tolerances? For 550-600hp, is sleeving really necessary?
If one does this, is that enough change to need to retune knock sensors or is that mostly only needed if closing the deck?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
So just to clarify things.....if I have my stock block, and the bores are in good shape, if I order a set of forged pistons....am I going to have to get the block bored/honed in get the proper clearance for the forged pistons, or do they machine the pistons so that when used with a stock bore block, no additional machining will need to be done in order to get the proper clearance? I know the forged pistons need more clearance than the stock cast ones. Any info would be great! Thanks!

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
So just to clarify things.....if I have my stock block, and the bores are in good shape, if I order a set of forged pistons....am I going to have to get the block bored/honed in get the proper clearance for the forged pistons, or do they machine the pistons so that when used with a stock bore block, no additional machining will need to be done in order to get the proper clearance? I know the forged pistons need more clearance than the stock cast ones. Any info would be great! Thanks!
do a leak down test already so your not speculating. Should of been step one. It’s likely a ring but why not know for sure. Step one should of been replacing your injectors tbh. You wouldn’t have been in this position. Or maybe less shit talking people on the ole inter webs

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SlowE93

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
do a leak down test already so your not speculating. Should of been step one. It’s likely a ring but why not know for sure. Step one should of been replacing your injectors tbh. You wouldn’t have been in this position. Or maybe less shit talking people on the ole inter webs
I dumped a little oil down in the cylinder and the compression went from 55psi up to 120psi.......so that indicated it's a piston/ring issue. Right? If it was a valve, the added oil in the cylinder wouldn't have do a thing to the compression readings.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
So which should have been step one ?
You have 2 listed ?
Shit talking ? You mean all the people that asked for help and he responded with things like set your car on fire ?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i

I guess I'm a little confused here.....

The entire process went like this.......

1. Car started idling rough.
2. I checked the injectors and found a leaky one and replaced it..... Didn’t fix the idle issue.
3. I replaced the plugs and coils for the hell of it....Didn't fix the idle issue.
4. I then did a compression test…found the dead cylinder.
5. I added oil to the cylinder and narrowed it down to a piston and/or ring issue (not a valvetrain issue)

I don't think the troubleshooting could have been any more thought out.

As far as shit talking and telling people to light their cars on fire…..you must have me confused with someone else. I really don't know what you are talking about :confused:

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
So which should have been step one ?
You have 2 listed ?
Shit talking ? You mean all the people that asked for help and he responded with things like set your car on fire ?
@IQraceworks he came with receipts
IMG_7354.jpeg