335is passenger motor mount

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
What are you guys using for install i have been looking at quick jacks or home lift can get for like 1200. Or i may build ramps i can drive on like 3ft high then weld up gantry that slots together with Bottle jacks welded on so can drive up then lift off ramp this way i can have suspension loaded when necessary and unloaded when i need. Jay curious what other people use for mount install.

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
Question that obviously shouldn't happen but while it's bolted in if torqued down to spec would the cup still pre load the mount and essentially not affect function. If that's case it is very possible every mount is failing on install or right away and just no one realizes except extreme diy guys that pull it out again shortly after.

I torqued mine down to spec. I believe the reason why the passenger side fails is because the mount not only sees the weight of the engine , but it is also under a rotational force from the torque of the engine. This force pushes down on the passenger side mount while the driver side is being pulled up. This is the reason only the passenger side mount is upgraded in the 335is model and not both mounts.

My car started to have a nasty vibration when coming to a stop, also lots of noise under part throttle. I had just installed new turbos so I thought they had possibly failed. I pulled my down pipes to check on the turbos, which were fine. That’s when I found the broken mount. I backed the 6 bolts out on the subframe without completely removing them, the subframe could then drop down a few inches. I unbolted and slide the mounts out. Luckily my garbage man hadn’t picked up my can yet, I fished the old stock mounts out of the trash and threw them back in.

I should have listened to people about the 034 mounts!!!

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Guess i am holding on to my stock mounts i wonder if i could fill them with silicone or rubber cement . I'll try playing with my driver side mount first since sounds like it only my passenger mount that will fail knock on wood

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I usually suck it up and apreciate quality and the r and d cause i have spent money twice trying to save too many times. BUT as you have pointed out this is just taking advantage of supply issues and shows what people went through before internet and competition. i usually avoid the conspiracy theory crap well some of it but this is twice in few months that bmw blatantly is manipulating and taking advantage of market, first injectors now mounts i will not buy an is mount out of principle. I am deeply upset about my 034 mount if people start losing belts they should be sued for not redesigning their product but i would rather buy stock and maybe a very large washer with bed of high temp silicone can stiffen up a little. I have so many projects started right now it's crazy but i have to put these motor mounts at top of list i can't even listen to radio and i pop my hood every time i stop i am so scared .

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Guess i am holding on to my stock mounts i wonder if i could fill them with silicone or rubber cement . I'll try playing with my driver side mount first since sounds like it only my passenger mount that will fail knock on wood
I'll bet if you have stock motor mounts in your car they are spanked. While my car is 7 years old, it only has 30k miles, was non-FBO until 23k miles and I could not believe the passenger mount was nearly 4mm shorter than the driver mount.

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: Rob09msport

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I'm a blue collar Neanderthal what can i say

Then maybe slow down so you can form a coherent thought. I'm sure you have interesting things to contribute and i'd like to read it but not if it takes me three times to figure out what you're trying to say. It doesn't appear that English is a second language for you so it comes across as you just being lazy which makes more work for the rest of us. English was by far my worst subject so I'm not asking for a lot.

Stream of Consciousness Pro. :sunglasses:

Filippo

It's only going to get worse and worse as the texting generation gets older

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Then maybe slow down so you can form a coherent thought. I'm sure you have interesting things to contribute and i'd like to read it but not if it takes me three times to figure out what you're trying to say. It doesn't appear that English is a second language for you so it comes across as you just being lazy which makes more work for the rest of us. English was by far my worst subject so I'm not asking for a lot.

It's only going to get worse and worse as the texting generation gets older
Not good defense but i type on phone while driving or use voice recognition allot on my phone. then allot of times ill go back and punctuate later on, it is just i have million things going on and ill never remember to post half stuff i want to if i don't do it right away.
And I'm not that young lol omg you really thought that rofl where you got dat idea ttyl bro
No i do get it ive read some stuff i write and i confuse myself but i am 32 i just can be stupid sometimes.

Last edited: