335i n54 - pure stage 2 hi flow

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
700 crank ya 700whp time bomb especially high mileage. Also how much of its life will be 700 if you are doing random rolls not so bad. Glory runs and track ya their are no gaurantees.

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr and Torgus

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Sorry I might be wrong but from what I was told the n54 is a powerful engine and can withstand 700hp on stock internals no problem.

Just because it 'can' do it doesn't mean it's not 'on edge'.

At 700whp, you will likely start to face issues you don't normally see at 600 and below. For instance, you may at that point need a better/enhanced ignition over stock coils - be it bimmerlife or Precision Raceworks. You also start to see increasingly common spun hubs at that power level, requiring remediation of varying methods and degrees of success.

With no E85, you're gonna need a lot of meth, which will need a controller, likely a direct port setup, which adds some complexity, regardless of how little, its still more complex than crank up the car and go. Yes there are protection methods available, but nothing is foolproof, so there is added risk.

If your tuner recommended you go with Pures for 700whp on stock internals "no problem" with no E85, I would find another tuner. I cannot think of one well respected (hell, even disrespected tuner!) that would suggest that setup.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
If your tuner recommended you go with Pures for 700whp on stock internals "no problem" with no E85, I would find another tuner. I cannot think of one well respected (hell, even disrespected tuner!) that would suggest that setup.

Seriously. Go with one of the tuners who are well known. A custom tune is SMALL money. Like $250-$350. Go with the best I choose Motiv(happy to make an introduction by the way) but choose one of the well known 'tier 1' tuners with a good rep.

You also have to understand running a turbo(s) at it's max is not best for their life. Given the cost and pain in the ass(or expensive) install makes you not want to run them on the ragged edge. Just because you CAN make 500hp 575TQ with the stock turbos does not mean you should. They will have a VERY short life. Same with maxing out aftermarket upgraded twin turbos. 700whp is the most pures will make on 100% E85 with an aggressive tune in my opinion.

Twin turbo vendors do 100% GLORY pulls on build motors with built head and cams etc. pushing their products to the absolute limit and then post their numbers online. This is why you NEVER see anyone come close to the numbers the vendors post. They also often use their own in house dynos etc. They also brag about spool vs. a single turbo and no one thinks about the fact you don't want rod bending tire shredding tq at 2000RPM and a smart tunah will tune that out to save your engine. Yes twins will spool up faster but it is not the night and day the twin turbo vendors make it out to be especially after you tune some of it out to save your stock rods.

As everyone knows I dislike VTT, here is an example of what I consider to be VERY questionable: Anyone else made 575whp with GC turbos on 93 pump at 30psi on a 100% stock motor at 100* degrees outside temp other than them? They have sold tons of turbos, according to them, and most of the country does not have E85 access so someone must have dyno'd and done the same or better at a lower outside temp. It was even advertised as not a glory pull hinting that there was more in them. Who is running GCs at 30psi on 93? Anyone want to raise their hands? To put 575whp in perspective this is what a precision 6266/6466 makes on 93 pump on a stock n54 block. Do GC turbos have the same flow rate of 90 Lbs/min as a precision 6466?

Last edited:
Reactions: tisdrew

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
As someone who has been on multiple forums/fb groups, Torgus is generally right and you should follow his advice.

That being said, you could daily the PS2s ~550whp and then throw on some nitrous for your glory runs which saves you the single turbo cost.

Reactions: Torgus