335i aftermarket head unit

mlamp89

Lurker
Dec 2, 2016
Columbus ohio
Hello everyone. Brand new to BMW. But I've been installing car audio systems for like 10 years. But with this car, all I hear is how different it is. I do not have Idrive. I have the hifi professional option in the car. It's a 2007 335i. I would like to install my amp and 2 12" subs. In my speed6 I soldered together my own LOC and tapped into the factory sub wires. And everything was cool. Not sure if I can do the same here.

But I really want to install a double din headunit, retain steering wheel controls, and have the jb4 app on the unit in order to monitor, run codes and what not. How many people successfully do this without compromising anything?

mlamp89

Lurker
Dec 2, 2016
Columbus ohio
Well, What I am doing and figured it would be the best overall solution was to look into:
https://www.eonon.com/Other-Car-DVD-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/D5165V.html?Catype=1

I already have this pre-ordered but, this will allow for all the functions I want (All the features you said) and them some.

That looks like exactly what I want. I wonder if the phone needs to be directly plugged into it, or if it'll bluetooth connect? Also, wonder if it'll hook up to the jb4 usb and run the app...

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
The USB will need to be plugged into the phone to mirror the display over to the head unit.

Versus running the JB4 Mobile app on the head unit I figured I'd just mirror it to the display. This would keep the Bluetooth hands free capable and it does use the steering wheel functionality.

mlamp89

Lurker
Dec 2, 2016
Columbus ohio
The USB l need to be plugged into the phone to mirror the display over to the head unit.

Versus running the JB4 Mobile app on the head unit I figured I'd just mirror it to the display. This would keep the Bluetooth hands free capable and it does use the steering wheel functionality.

This is probably what I'm going to do. Seems plug and play and retains all factory deals. I've read horror stories about the stock head unit has a bunch of electrical buses run through it so it would cause issues getting rid of it

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Need to be careful here. There is hifi and top hifi. Top hifi is logic 7 individual audio and Harmon kardon. If you have a center dash speaker then you have logic 7.

If you do have logic seven you will need to recode your car back to hifi and some other stuff to disable the digital signal processing so that you can amplify it properly. If you have regular hifi then the signal is ready to go for your upgrades.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also here is where you get all the custom made plug and play harnesses:

https://technicpnp.com

Also if you ever decided to add idrive the cd and dvd drive modules must be present so replacing it with an android head unit prevents that.

mlamp89

Lurker
Dec 2, 2016
Columbus ohio
Need to be careful here. There is hifi and top hifi. Top hifi is logic 7 individual audio and Harmon kardon. If you have a center dash speaker then you have logic 7.

If you do have logic seven you will need to recode your car back to hifi and some other stuff to disable the digital signal processing so that you can amplify it properly. If you have regular hifi then the signal is ready to go for your upgrades.

My VIN decoder says I have HI-FI professional...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
My VIN decoder says I have HI-FI professional...

Right, and that is option 677 based on what I've seen. Do you have a speaker in the center of your dash? In 2007 Logic 7 was standard I think. May have been only the coupes, not sure. Just look for the speaker in the center, that is a dead giveaway. If you've got 13 total speakers in your car as well, then you also know.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
"Incorporating 13 loudspeakers, the HiFi Professional LOGIC7 System ensures supreme playback of all audio formats and takes the surround sound effect to an even higher level. Seven subwoofers, four tweeters and two woofers (central bass concept) provide an incomparable experience in sound."

So I don't know if HiFi Professional is different then HiFi Professional LOGIC7. But you'll be able to figure it out.

mlamp89

Lurker
Dec 2, 2016
Columbus ohio
Right, and that is option 677 based on what I've seen. Do you have a speaker in the center of your dash? In 2007 Logic 7 was standard I think. May have been only the coupes, not sure. Just look for the speaker in the center, that is a dead giveaway. If you've got 13 total speakers in your car as well, then you also know.

Got a center speaker...

mlamp89

Lurker
Dec 2, 2016
Columbus ohio

Do you know what all I would need to do in order to do this? Maybe a write up somewhere