2FDB - Crankshaft or HPFP?

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I'm seeing conflicting info on this code. For MSD81, is it a crankshaft or an hpfp code?

Solution
Yes, seeing the following shadow codes from MHD. Are these all HPFP? Seems odd that two of them reference the crankshaft...

2FCA Fuel high pressure bei Freigabe der Einspritzung
2FDA - Crankshaft sensor, signal: Missing.
2FDB - Crankshaft sensor, signal: Not plausible.
These are the actual descriptions of those errors:

2FCA - Detected symptom of FUP start diagnosis - fuel pressure at high pressure start is too low
2FDA - Detected symptom delayed FUP start
2FDB - Detected symptom no rising fuel pressure at start

The MHD descriptions are wrong on those codes.

FUP = HPFP

That looks like the DME isn't seeing enough rail pressure at startup. That "no rise" error means that the rail pressure didn't exceed 435psi (this is the...

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Shadow code ?
It is fuel pump.
Mhd changed this a while back....this is one of those thing where I emailed them and said it was not a MHD thing.

Yes, seeing the following shadow codes from MHD. Are these all HPFP? Seems odd that two of them reference the crankshaft...

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93

They USED to say fuel pump.
MHD changed that but they say they didnt. 🙄
Its never a MHD issue.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
A thread I started when I caught the issue.

Well, that's lovely.

Here's an example where trims flatline and it kills bank 1:

And another where it does it and recovers mid pull:

hpfp levels look quite similar to the what I was seeing back before the built engine and single turbo, running 30psi on hybrids without seeing this type of trouble. That said, I have installed a BPM4 since then and my low pressure is running with a rising rate regulator, not sure if that's contributing?

Last edited:

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i

2FCA - Detected symptom of FUP start diagnosis - fuel pressure at high pressure start is too low

FUP = HPFP

That looks like the DME isn't seeing enough rail pressure at startup. That "no rise" error means that the rail pressure didn't exceed 435psi (this is the minimum) during the startup phase.

Last edited:
Solution

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi

FUP = HPFP

That looks like the DME isn't seeing enough rail pressure at startup.

Thanks for that info. That's likely from the 295s with no check valves, so expected / benign.

Ok, now to figure out why it's firing super knock codes :( caught it for cyl 1 and cyl 2. I think my front driveshaft is on the way out, wonder if that's making noise. I have one getting delivered on Monday.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93

FUP = HPFP

That looks like the DME isn't seeing enough rail pressure at startup. That "no rise" error means that the rail pressure didn't exceed 435psi (this is the minimum) during the startup phase.
Ty.....MHD believes they are correct and have always been that way.
Which there is proof on Terrys site that they were NOT always crank signal codes. I swear the guy that respomds to emails pays no attention to concerns users have.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

FUP = HPFP

Not sure how these got messed up, but will get our codes DB updated in a future update. Thank you!

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Not sure how these got messed up, but will get our codes DB updated in a future update. Thank you!
See what I am saying ?
This is the way to handle things @Jake@MHD Thank you Sir.
I can post the emails where I was told it is NOT a MHD thing by the guy (or girl) that responds to emails. Hence why the other thread was getting cluttered. That person does not take the time to read. It almost feels like a bot saying the same thing for any concerns.