2019 F97 X3 M with S58

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
oHtrK0C.png

The X3 M will be joined by the F98 X4 M and will have the S58 power plant. I have a feeling this thing is going to be very potent when tuned.

Assuming they loosen up some of the fueling limitations in the DME, I can see the S58 being a very good replacement for the S55.

[BMWBLOG]

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
Damn this thing looks beautiful I need to do more research on the s55s and 58s I hardly know anything about them. One day I'll need an SUV ;)

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Damn this thing looks beautiful I need to do more research on the s55s and 58s I hardly know anything about them. One day I'll need an SUV ;)
There is no training available for the s58.. Hasn't even been officially described to us yet lol
The S55 impresses me more and more everyday.. It of course has an inherent Achilles heal like all M3 power plants that BMW NA refuses to admit is even an issue! It have been rod bearings for the s54 and s65.. Now with the S55 its crank hubs slipping and smashing the fuck outta half the valves! The timing chain sprocket on the crank isn't keyed.. Why would they do that kind of insanity that's worked for decades maybe centuries.. No they had to get all fancy and us a friction impregnated shim that well... DOES NOT WORK!! an over Rev.. High speed down shift even a K&N air filter get you a brand new head on your dime.. Fu king joke it is! They refuse to admit a design flaw and just keep passing the buck!

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
But to bring you up to speed on the s55
-starts as an n55 from the outside
-all forged Intetnals
-closed deck
-dual HPFPs
-twin turbo - very reasonably sized idk specs though
-still valvetronic with dual vanos
-sounds amazing if you were an e46 m3 fan lol

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There is no training available for the s58.. Hasn't even been officially described to us yet lol
The S55 impresses me more and more everyday.. It of course has an inherent Achilles heal like all M3 power plants that BMW NA refuses to admit is even an issue! It have been rod bearings for the s54 and s65.. Now with the S55 its crank hubs slipping and smashing the fuck outta half the valves! The timing chain sprocket on the crank isn't keyed.. Why would they do that kind of insanity that's worked for decades maybe centuries.. No they had to get all fancy and us a friction impregnated shim that well... DOES NOT WORK!! an over Rev.. High speed down shift even a K&N air filter get you a brand new head on your dime.. Fu king joke it is! They refuse to admit a design flaw and just keep passing the buck!

Has there been an s55TU? What has been the issue with n54's lately? Assuming hpfp and injectors aren't an issue

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Has there been an s55TU? What has been the issue with n54's lately? Assuming hpfp and injectors aren't an issue
No s55tu they usually don't designate a TU for M engines.
The n54s biggest problem has been neglect lol.. Everything has kinda been worked out now its all oil leaks!! They leak so bad then chuck the drive belt. After that it gets wrapped around the crank and pulled into the oil pan.. The client takes it to pep boys and and they put a new belt on it not knowing it just destroyed the front main and half the belt is in the oil pan! The pick up gets clogged and then you have a locked up n54 lol
Its a dead giveaway with a gates belt on it and oil everywhere.. Then you pop the oil filter off and its bone dry!

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces