2012 335is w/ hail damage...what is it worth? (salvage title)

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Hello. I was wondering is I could get some opinions. I have the opportunity to buy a 12 335is DCT w/48k miles.
It is through a friend of a friend, and he bought at auction. The car was "totaled" due to hail damage and therefore has a salvage title. The guy who bought it has several BMW's and just bought a F80 M3 and does not have time to mess with this...
Car is 100% stock and never modded. Everything works, no error codes, no lights. Sport suspension and well optioned, nav. Interior clean.
I know a few good body guys and what some of the paintless guys can do is pretty incredible.
What do you guys think a car like this is worth? I think KBB is in the low to mid 20's. Assuming I have to spend 3-4k for the cosmetics, what do you think a car like this is worth?
Seems like a good base to build from with low miles.

TX_335is

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2011 BMW 335is
Like everything, it depends on your goals for the car. First you have to consider insuring and registering a salvage title car which will vary by state. If you plan on keeping the car for a while and building it, it makes sense to start from a cheap base car since you won't get much back on the money you put in anyway. If you plan to daily it and sell relatively quickly, it might be more hassle than its worth. Selfishly I hope you get it and build it to its full potential! Good luck!

Reactions: 335is02

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Rule of thumb for PDR around here is $100 per dent

Maybe a salvage hood/trunk lid and PDR the roof and any other stray dents?

TX_335is

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2011 BMW 335is
@dyezak has probably forgotten more about restoring a beaten up 335is than most will ever know

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Guys. Thanks for the responses. I have no idea that salvage title affects the value that bad. (halving it) . My buddy said I could probably buy the car for 10500-11500 which I thought was a steal....but I guess that is just 'normal' price. I think I will probably stick to what I have now.

I am new to the N54 scene. I bought a very clean 09 MT FBO w/ with a tune from Active Autowerkes. It is in great shape also has KWv2 coilovers, and 20" wheels. It has 93k miles but it had a very easy one owner life. (still on orig clutch).

I am thinking about going larger turbos and playing a little more. Was almost thinking that car may be a better platform to build from. (but I really do enjoy the MT).

From the sound of it, unless it was a steal, it might just be worth passing on and just building off what I have. (current car below).

Thanks for the advice!

uFr0x0e.jpg

w4nG7Pn.jpg

335is02

Corporal
Mar 10, 2018
Ride
2012 BMW 335is
Hello. I was wondering is I could get some opinions. I have the opportunity to buy a 12 335is DCT w/48k miles.
It is through a friend of a friend, and he bought at auction. The car was "totaled" due to hail damage and therefore has a salvage title. The guy who bought it has several BMW's and just bought a F80 M3 and does not have time to mess with this...
Car is 100% stock and never modded. Everything works, no error codes, no lights. Sport suspension and well optioned, nav. Interior clean.
I know a few good body guys and what some of the paintless guys can do is pretty incredible.
What do you guys think a car like this is worth? I think KBB is in the low to mid 20's. Assuming I have to spend 3-4k for the cosmetics, what do you think a car like this is worth?
I agree with TX_335is it all depends on your goals. The dct and extra features of the IS are what make it worth it but; if you are happy with your car already and are not looking into putting in all the hours just build yours. I built my totaled car but I have a little history with restoring cars also so cut my cost way down!

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Given the right circumstances, I don't put too much concern into whether a title was rebuilt or not.

For the same car, the difference between a salvage title and one that was repaired could be a small amount. Say a repair estimate was $10,000. The insurance company says nope. Had the estimate been $9,000 and they repair it, you still have a car with the exact same previous damage - difference is without the salvage title you only know that carfax says the car was in an accident and the airbags deployed.

Of course, there is the insurability part of it, which is likely different for different states and manufactures warranty/recall support to consider.

I still expect a bargain for a car with a salvage title, but if the repair is spot on I wouldn't expect half the market value.

Another example I just thought of... I had an E60 that was hit and had $27,000 worth of damage that was fixed! Someone bought that car and has no idea what it went through.

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Exactly just cause you should pay half value for salvage doesnt mean it's not great deal. A flood or accident could be risky but hail damage I think everyone would buy one if in a state where you can register. It's not a good investment for quick flip but most cars aren't once you mod. I would def consider it a steal cause it's very hard to find a low mileage salvage for purely cosmetic reason.

Reactions: mnick

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
If you are going to buy it as a project, and keep it. That's a good price. If you are going to try to fix and flip for a profit. That's a bad plan in my opinion.
I have a 12 335is with the dct, it's alot of fun. Definitely keeping it, it owes me too much money that I could never recoup.

N54NC

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Thanks guys. Like I said, I have a clean E92 09 MT which I bought with all the mods. I paid high market for it, but the guy has some very high end mods, all Active Autowerkes and they were installed at their shop, so I felt good it was not butchered. The car is very clean and has other high $ stuff like KW coilovers...etc.

I just put a JB4 on in and a back-end flash. (I currently is running Active's DME tune). I backed it up and put the Pump BEF. I have not even had a chance to drive the car yet and see how it is.

I bought a meth kit (not installed yet). Going to do an intake valve clean when I get a free weekend. I collected all I need to do that. When I do that, I am going to do a leak down test and make sure the motor is healthy. If all is good, I am going to consider a turbo upgrade. Spoke w. Rob from RB. (SUPER nice guy). My goals would be 500whp on pump streetable. Maybe some level of E85 if it needs it.

If I go that route, I know I need clutch, and probably swap out for a LSD.

At that point I start adding up the $$$$ and I realize it will be a good amount of cash to sink in. That is why I was considering possibly doing it on that 335is. But I am not sure in the end either way makes sense. But when does it ever? I like the MT even though I know it is not as fast. But it is fun.

I am going to reach out to the guy to at least talk about it and see where he is at.

Thanks for the advice!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I rebuilt an E90 in 2009 but it had a clean title. I'd feel better about hail damage but that is labor you can't really shortcut.

mnick

Private
Jan 11, 2018
Tampa
Ride
335is
Minor cosmetic damage to a vehicle is fine as long as it is explainable and you have it fixed at time of trade or sale. I would first view this in terms of cost for repair. Then figure out how long you plan to keep this vechicle and how many miles over that time. This will give you your delta...I would advise you not to do this for an investment as the margins are small. Certainly you can mitigate the risk by doing the labor yourself, but it seems like a lot of squeeze for a little juice.

I love my 335is, BMW did an excellent job on the N54T motor and supporting components. However, it’s an expensive endeavor as you have mentioned, “$$$$”... And you already have a very clean and sick ride currently. It might be worth it to keep her.