17T Turbo Balance Conundrum

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
So I have just received my first turbo with a balance sheet. I’m 95% sure it’s fake comparing them to others found online (I’m not talking about the actual data but instead the layout)

Just as a general community question, does anyone have pics of the the sheet they received. Going to speak to IST, and see what they have to say... but some evidence would be nice.

Just attach pics or PM me with any sheets you have received with your turbos.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So I have just received my first turbo with a balance sheet. I’m 95% sure it’s fake comparing them to others found online (I’m not talking about the actual data but instead the layout)
Not sure I understand. Hasn't it already been established that the sheets don't coincide with the turbos shipped? I know several people, personally, that can vouch for this. Not sure where the 5% is?

For friends of mine, these turbos seem to be lasting.

That said ... taking the blood pressure of one irish man, then handing that blood pressure data out for every irish man .... yeah ... it is that embarrassingly stupid. A random balance chart of one turbo....

Filippo

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Not sure I understand. Hasn't it already been established that the sheets don't coincide with the turbos shipped? I know several people, personally, that can vouch for this. Not sure where the 5% is?

For friends of mine, these turbos seem to be lasting.

That said ... taking the blood pressure of one irish man, then handing that blood pressure data out for every irish man .... yeah ... it is that embarrassingly stupid. A random balance chart of one turbo....

Filippo
Yes Filippo,

They are being sent off to get balanced regardless of what the sheet says. It will be interesting to see the before and after.

I was just hoping people could share there results so I can ask ISPEEDY.

The 5% was only because I didn’t want to come across to all of the 17T lovers that I am being biased, or unfair...

Regardless of all of this. I’ll update this post when the new balancing comes back

:)

Reactions: fmorelli

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
There was a thread 2 years ago showing a few different cheap n54 turbo suppliers with balance sheets exactly the same but with a logo change up the top of the print out.
Its what you get for cheap turbos.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
There was a thread 2 years ago showing a few different cheap n54 turbo suppliers with balance sheets exactly the same but with a logo change up the top of the print out.
Its what you get for cheap turbos.
Yes I saw it.

It’s not a problem for me as they are being balanced but for any future people. Definitely something that needs to be done, rather than just leaving it

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
None of the provided balance sheets look legit.
I'd imagine there's a bare bones check before sending units out. 17Ts fitted have lasted just fine. I expect the 19Ts will as well.
I expect more 19Ts are failing because of bad tunes and people not knowing exactly what they are doing.

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Time will tell, I just hope the bare block can be saved.

27 psi on E85 @ 13 degrees timing advance
212.000KM on engine.
Wow man. That must have been pushing some serious power.

I have half that mileage, yet will only push around 20-22 max. The car on stage 2+ is already too quick for my roads (Can barely floor it before a corner comes)

Let me know either here or PM about what’s happening with new motor etc :) always interests me

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
6.37 was the best I've recorded on a dragy 100-200 pull. Not bad for a E91 on its last breath.

Most probably I will open a separate build topic soon to share my new adventures.

FCP rods and the HP/800 turbos will arrive this Friday... Lots more to come 😁

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
6.37 was the best I've recorded on a dragy 100-200 pull. Not bad for a E91 on its last breath.

Most probably I will open a separate build topic soon to share my new adventures.

FCP rods and the HP/800 turbos will arrive this Friday... Lots more to come 😁
Wow that’s a lot of power.

I look forward to it, that new build will be nuts... I’m slowly working towards getting my own built engine, problem is shipping to @MMP for closed deck is going to be a nightmare!

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
What is it with you ppl sending things over to the USA just for getting a closed deck?! There are plenty of companies in the EU and I bet my arse in the UK who can do a simple job like closed deck. It is being done for decades and no wonder born in the USA.
If you don´t have competent companies around you then go to subi performance for example in Germany.
Just buy the CSS and ship it with the engine to them or contact them prior to buying the CSS and align with them about the project.

• Agree
Reactions: E92 420

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
It was meant for ppl who lived in the states. I would bring my engine to a local repair shop without a doubt. As I am living in the Netherlands.