08' 335xi DocRace ST Kit

Nov 13, 2016
Pompton Lakes, NJ
Whats up guys. Going to document this kit going in next week.

http://www.znmauto.com/single-post/2016/12/07/ZNM-Doc-Race-PT6266-2008-BMW-335xi-ST-Build

yT6eZVx.png

Stay tuned!

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
just read the contents of the link in the first post. Should probably note that there are no injector upgrades for this car. As its Direct injection, And a HPFP upgrade is technically non existent unless VTT started selling their shotgun. may want to edit your blog post. Because anyone that knows the N54 will catch that as soon as they read it.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Looking forward to seeing the install / results!

I've installed and uninstalled my kit 3 times working on my car over the last however many months. I know this kit like the back of my hand. Will be cool to see how you guys put your personal touch on install.

Nov 13, 2016
Pompton Lakes, NJ
Looking forward to seeing the install / results!

I've installed and uninstalled my kit 3 times working on my car over the last however many months. I know this kit like the back of my hand. Will be cool to see how you guys put your personal touch on install.

If you dont mind me asking, why did you remove three times?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Matt,

Short version: Not a mechanic, just an enthusiast.

Long version:
The original revision of the kit included the coolant to block fitting that did not have a groove for the o ring. When installed it needed a thicker layer of red rtv then I had used. When I primed the coolant to test for leaks the reservoir line wasn't angled downward and didn't feed the fitting so I thought all was ok. Once I test drove the car it was obvious coolant wasn't flowing. As soon as I angled the reservoir line correctly the leak became evident and it all had to come apart to access that block fitting.

The second time was chasing an exhaust leak that stemmed from the double V-bands near the wastegates. Installing on jack stands alone it was difficult to align that connection while also tightening the band clamps enough to thread the nut. Thought I finally got it but it took a 3rd disassembly to finally resolve. I used a photo of the kit installed at DocRaces to confirm the connection was actually seated properly. Here is the photo to see what I was looking at.

Once the corner bolt was aligned with the C on the heatshield it gave me the green light to tighten the Vband. I broke 3 vbands by over tightening over the course of the installs.

Edit: With all that said, I really love this kit. After the car was tuned it exceeded my expectations in regards to fun factor and overall enjoyment of the car. The manifold was very well thought out and still having the quick spool, snap response that I enjoyed with the stockers is evidence of that.

Attachments

• heat_1024x1024.jpg
    heat_1024x1024.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2016
Pompton Lakes, NJ
Matt,

Short version: Not a mechanic, just an enthusiast.

Long version:
The original revision of the kit included the coolant to block fitting that did not have a groove for the o ring. When installed it needed a thicker layer of red rtv then I had used. When I primed the coolant to test for leaks the reservoir line wasn't angled downward and didn't feed the fitting so I thought all was ok. Once I test drove the car it was obvious coolant wasn't flowing. As soon as I angled the reservoir line correctly the leak became evident and it all had to come apart to access that block fitting.

The second time was chasing an exhaust leak that stemmed from the double V-bands near the wastegates. Installing on jack stands alone it was difficult to align that connection while also tightening the band clamps enough to thread the nut. Thought I finally got it but it took a 3rd disassembly to finally resolve. I used a photo of the kit installed at DocRaces to confirm the connection was actually seated properly. Here is the photo to see what I was looking at.

Once the corner bolt was aligned with the C on the heatshield it gave me the green light to tighten the Vband. I broke 3 vbands by over tightening over the course of the installs.

Edit: With all that said, I really love this kit. After the car was tuned it exceeded my expectations in regards to fun factor and overall enjoyment of the car. The manifold was very well thought out and still having the quick spool, snap response that I enjoyed with the stockers is evidence of that.

Wow, hats off to you for doing that on jack stands. Im glad to hear you enjoy the kit. What tune are you using?