034 Mounts - another failure

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
As I'm sure everyone is aware, 034 Motorsports had a "bad batch" of their density line of rubber mounts. I recently had to remove my passenger side mount to fix an oil drain line, and to my surprise (not really?), the mount was broken, just as others have experienced.

1025191658.jpg

Since I needed the car running at least temporarily, I filled the gaps on the top with window weld, and "glued" the bottom cap to the mount with more window weld. Sadly, I neglected to take a picture.

I've yet to drive the car with the mount reinstalled, but I didn't notice any abnormal movement beforehand, so I doubt I'll notice an improvement.

My question lies in if anyone has had experience recently with the Density mounts. Was it a bad batch, or a design flaw and I'm going to have this issue no matter what.

034 was very accommodating with regards to warranty - the mounts are 2 years old (but only 10K miles) and they said they would refund if I order new and return the old ones. We'll hope that stays true since I filled it with window weld.

On a slightly different note - there is clearly a material difference between the rubber mount and the 'hard plastic' bottom cap. I saw on a different forum that someone welded a machined base to the mount, but I don't see what would keep the rubber mount from 'floating' or moving up and down from engine torque then. I really don't want aftermarket mounts that will vibrate terribly, and poly mounts typically deform over time.

Has anyone found a pourable/moldable OEM style rubber? I would even consider building my own mount, with a solid bottom 'cap' made completely of rubber rather than the plastic, but the only thing I can find of course is polyeurothane.

So what's the consensus on mounts?

• Wow
Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Rubber has to be vulcanized. So, you most likely will not be making any rubber mounts at home...unless you found a block of rubber with the right properties and had a way to cut/machine it to the shape you needed.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
l saw someone welded some metal caps to the bottom to keep them from having too much travel.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
How are your revshift mounts holding up? My 80A are going in very soon

I love them so far, I was barely driving my car because I knew I would break them over 20 psi (pure stg 2 high flows)

The Rev shifts are great! Little more nvh but are breaking in really really well and getting better with the miles

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I love them so far, I was barely driving my car because I knew I would break them over 20 psi (pure stg 2 high flows)

The Rev shifts are great! Little more nvh but are breaking in really really well and getting better with the miles

You were blowing up the 034's with 20 psi?

I have a set of Turner mounts, love them. Don't get the 034, OEM 335is would be an ok option if you don't want significantly upgraded.

I thought I'd read reports of poly mounts melting on the passenger side, might have been turner or BFI? How long have you had em?

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
You were blowing up the 034's with 20 psi?

I thought I'd read reports of poly mounts melting on the passenger side, might have been turner or BFI? How long have you had em?

No joke it might have been even less that that. I was just going with a round number lol

The bottom line is they are complete garbage and I wouldn't even trust them on a worn stock turbo car let alone something running bigger turbo(s)

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas

Probably 5 months installed, no problems. Turner mounts have a heat spacer for the right side mount and there's a factory shield there too, plus the mount is pretty enclosed. I don't expect any issues.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90

I saw this reported on the BFI mounts, which is disappointing because they looked really good and similar to the Turner mounts. Plus, they are/were on sale at ECS for 140 each.

I know the Revshift ones come with a heat insulator wrap, but I couldn't find any thing with regards to the Turner heat spacer. My car is missing the factory heat shield near that mount, so I need to find one of those. I think I may try the BFI and wrap it with reflect-a-gold. I did like that hey were fully encased.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I saw this reported on the BFI mounts, which is disappointing because they looked really good and similar to the Turner mounts. Plus, they are/were on sale at ECS for 140 each.

I know the Revshift ones come with a heat insulator wrap, but I couldn't find any thing with regards to the Turner heat spacer. My car is missing the factory heat shield near that mount, so I need to find one of those. I think I may try the BFI and wrap it with reflect-a-gold. I did like that hey were fully encased.
You’d be better off grabbing some of the dimpled aluminum stuff and bending it to suit and then bolting it down. Think windshield washer bottle neck shielding.

I’m guilty as the next guy for using the reflect-a-gold, but the aluminum stuff actually reflects more heat than the reflect-a-gold does.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I've had my BFI mounts since they came out (first mounts made by them) and they're still holding up great even with all the power i'm making. I have had no problem with heat although I have custom bottom mount set up that moves mount away a bit. I think they sold design to Turner considering they are near exact copy.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas

You can see it here. The mounts raise the motor slightly which helps DP fitment and PS pulley clearance, the little spacer helps decrease heat transfer through the mount bracket I suppose, as it's not metal iirc but I could be wrong. No matter which mount you run, you really need a heat shield there, the wrap won't cut it, get a small sheet of aluminum or something and fit it with an air gap on both sides, good to go.

Screenshot_20191103-180334_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Convert

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
My only friend with Rev shift was that they said they were in stock on the web site. I placed the order then when I asked a week later why they had not shipped they told me that they were still being made.. I don't mind a back log I just want to know before I buy them that's all..

• Informative
Reactions: langsbr

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Great. I have them and love them. Minimum NVH at idle with an MT. I've not even bumped idle. Construction is solid.

Filippo

Aren't the Z4 mounts different from other n54? I thought they were M3 style for some reason.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Aren't the Z4 mounts different from other n54? I thought they were M3 style for some reason.
For all the stupid things that are different with a Z4, it turns out someone got tired and decided not to make the motor mounts different. They must have not had the interns work on that part...

Filippo

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Finally installed a new mount on the passenger side - I figured the ST guys do just a single wacky mount so why not give it a shot. I also created a heat shield from some DEI Form-A-Barrier. Hopeully it will suffice.

1578421295887.png

1578421312044.png

All I have to say is - you MUST RAISE IDLE with a mount like this. HOLY HELL. Cruising and above 1K rpms is fine, but if idle is 650 - hang it up, #racecarlife, hope you have no fillings or they will rattle out. Hopefully raising the idle to 900 will take care of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Asbjorn