Öhlins BMS MI00 Upgrade Options for E9X 335i and E82 135i

barry@3DM

Corporal
Jun 4, 2018
The 'BMS Mi00' Öhlins Road and Track kits for the E9X 335i and E82 135i have been superceded by part number 'BMS Mi01'

e90_Standard.jpg

What are the changes to the BMS Mi01 kit from Öhlins?
  • The front spring is increased to 70 N/mm and is 20mm shorter (180mm) to allow for bigger wheel/tire fitments.
  • The rear spring was changed from a 70 N/mm rate to a 120 N/mm rate.
  • Front shock valving has been changed to match the spring and to create a different dynamic response.
  • Rear shock valving has been changed to match the spring and to create a different dynamic response.
  • Rear shock droop travel has been reduced 10mm to help keep the spring retained when upgraded ball joints are installed.
The shock bodies have not been changed which means the original BMS Mi00 kits can be made to replicate or exceed the new BMS Mi01 kit specifications. We are offering two conversion packages to convert your BMS Mi00 to similar or exceeded specifications of new BMS Mi01 kit.

Option 1: Front/Rear Swift Springs and Front/Rear Shock Revalve: $480
  • Front Swift spring: 70 N/mm x 180mm to allow for bigger wheel/tire fitment.
  • Front valving matches the spring and creates a slightly more aggressive dynamic response than the BMS Mi01 valving.
  • Rear Swift spring: 120 N/mm
  • Rear valving matches the spring and creates a slightly more aggressive dynamic response than the BMS Mi01 valving.
  • Rear shock droop has been reduced 30mm to help keep the spring retained when upgraded ball joints are installed. (We found 10mm was not enough)
Option 2: Rear Spring and Rear Shock Re-valve (A more budget friendly approach): $250
  • Rear Öhlins 120 N/mm spring
  • Rear shock valving to match the spring.
  • Rear shock droop reduced 30mm to help keep the spring retained when upgraded ball joints are installed.
Rebuild Add On:

If your kit has 40,000 +/- miles or more and you are deciding to remove them for an upgrade, you will want to consider getting them rebuilt at the same time. It is important to note, Option 1 and 2 're-valve' consists of new shims and oil only. A 'rebuild' is a detailed inspection and replaces all the internal wear parts such as seals and piston shaft guide bushing.
  • Front strut pair rebuild: $250
  • Rear shock pair rebuild: $250
Öhlins front struts are inverted which means there are guide bushings in the main housings. Unless your suspension kit has 60,000+ miles, these are typically in good condition and do not need replacing.

Additional Notes:

We offer many kits for the E9X 3 series and E82 1 Series. We suggest reviewing our ÖHLINS BUYERS GUIDE as you may find there is a something beyond the basic Öhlins Road and Track kit that will suit your needs.

bmw_e9x_3_series_3dm_trackday_4051e366-7059-40f3-9275-ee77189f791a_720x.png
assembled 2.jpg

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
I have them, basically. What do you want to know?
Sorry forgot to reply, just overall ride quality. I had these on my M3 and they were better than stock in my opinion. Did you go with the stock springs or opt for the swift setup?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Swift springs, m3 front and rear arms, everything balljointed, eibach front bar, stock rear bar that is adjustable.

Handles and drives amazing. Worth every penny. Barry@3DM is the man and super responsive. Highly suggest you reach out to him and let him know what your goals are, or just pick up an off the shelf set up from him.

Some pictures of my setup up are in my sig.

Reactions: Nick380

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
Swift springs, m3 front and rear arms, everything balljointed, eibach front bar, stock rear bar that is adjustable.

Handles and drives amazing. Worth every penny. Barry@3DM is the man and super responsive. Highly suggest you reach out to him and let him know what your goals are, or just pick up an off the shelf set up from him.

Some pictures of my setup up are in my sig.
Stock strut mounts? Or you went with vorshlag camber plates? I will definitely reach out when the time comes. I don't see the pictures in the sig?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Stock strut mounts? Or you went with vorshlag camber plates? I will definitely reach out when the time comes. I don't see the pictures in the sig?
Can run it either way - but the plates give you adjustability one cannot get with a factory mount. It's only money!

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
Can run it either way - but the plates give you adjustability one cannot get with a factory mount. It's only money!
True, but I'm more so thinking NVH than anything. I know that sounds dumb considering I'm going to a coilover set and lowering the car, thus losing most of the oem NVH I would assume. I ran this set with Vorshlag camber plates, and swift springs on my E92 M3 a few years back (photo in my profile pic). and I kid you not, it was not better in everyway than the stock suspension, whether that was due to wear or not. It only had 55k miles at the time Granted almost 10 years old by 2018. I definitely leaning towards the set with the plates and swift springs. Idk about the ballpoints. Don't really plan on tracking, just want it be more planted and the adjustment is nice when it comes to alignment. Dial in more or less camber and caster. I loved that about the Vorshlag plates.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Need to separate out a few things - first off swift springs ... just a high quality spring. The camber plates will not add any significant NVH. Neither does running monoball tension struts. which I highly recommend on any BMW. The Öhlins R&T will not only ride more comfortably than a stock m-sport adjustable BMW suspension (which is actually rather mediocre) but it will also perform better in the handling department. It's a $3k you get what you pay for scenario.

At the end of the day, the best thing to do is get on the phone and talk to Barry. Tell him the guys over at Spoolstreet told you to call him. Ask questions, tell him your concerns and desires, and let him walk you through recommendations. He knows more about BMW suspensions than most anyone I know, has actually developed BMW SKU's for Öhlins USA. He won't steer you wrong, and you won't find anyone more qualified to cover the suspension topic.

Last edited:

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
Need to separate out a few things - first off swift springs ... just a high quality spring. The camber plates will not add any significant NVH. Neither does running monoball tension struts. which I highly recommend on any BMW. The Öhlins R&T will not only ride more comfortably than a stock m-sport adjustable BMW suspension (which is actually rather mediocre) but it will also perform better in the handling department. It's a $3k you get what you pay for scenario.

At the end of the day, the best thing to do is get on the phone and talk to Barry. Tell him the guys over at Spoolstreet told you to call him. Ask questions, tell him your concerns and desires, and let him walk you through recommendations. He knows more about BMW suspensions than most anyone I know, has actually developed BMW SKU's for Öhlins USA. He won't steer you wrong, and you won't find anyone more qualified to cover the suspension topic.
True, I had this thing in my head where "Swift springs = good" idk why lol, probably because of my experience. Right now my setup is stock springs, with the koni special active shocks. They're basically trying to be the DFV, but using oscillations to stiffen up the suspension vs a separate flow for dampening on the DFV. It feels like it over compensates in some instances. I'll definitely reach out to him. I appreciate the detailed response, and my bad on the lag. Been busy with figuring out the boost oscillations I'm having, and life.

Vorshlag camber plates as well sorry!

Sorry this link: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264348 I think on the last page is a link to my suspension thread.
No worries, all good. Thanks for the link 👍

Reactions: fmorelli and Torgus