E89 Z4 Track-ready Sleeper Build

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
So if anyone ever wondered how the rear damper mounts look like after 11yrs/150kkm, the are quite fine actually. Same for the inner upper control arm bushings. The damper rubber stoppers however not so much...

IMG_20200704_094308.jpg

IMG_20200704_093910.jpg

IMG_20200704_093717.jpg

Also bought some used HR springs and compared them to eibach and oem. Definitely lower. Should also be stiffer as the wire diameter isn't variable, and the progressive coils (those with shorter distance) close first, and then the stiffer rate kicks in.

I will try to run these together with a height adjuster to get the height back to eibach-level rear. Front I will just keep the stock springs.

IMG_20200704_091836.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Had these made

mmexport1594286937642.jpg

And did the @fmorelli - inspired mod to the rear upper arms. Unfortunately we misunderstood each other and they made them so they cant be adjusted inwards. They are redoing them today and I should have them back early next week.

mmexport1594286946289.jpg

Probably going to regret the open bearing design but lets see.

The same shop is looking into the cost of making custom uprights. However I don't expect that to be cost effective at all.

Last edited:

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Soon you could start offering limited production on some of these items. Those rear strut mounts - hmmm...

Haha just say the word. Buuut the price would be unreasonable. I think revshift sells an e46 kit (that wont fit) for $99, and these would be like double. Also since the stock mounts looked OK I think the market for such a product would be between the size of zero and none.

Reactions: doublespaces

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
According to @barry@3DM there's really no reason to change the rear shock mounts. he says they add a noise vibration and harshness without really any gain.

In the case of my upcoming rear suspension, the rear shocks are eyelet mounts, so it's a completely different setup and unfortunately we cannot use the factory mount.

Filippo

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
According to @barry@3DM there's really no reason to change the rear shock mounts. he says they add a noise vibration and harshness without really any gain.

In the case of my upcoming rear suspension, the rear shocks are eyelet mounts, so it's a completely different setup and unfortunately we cannot use the factory mount.

Filippo

I can confirm Barry is right. The NVH is horrible. Not "poly engine mounts"-bad, but definitely a good step above the NVH you get form running camber plates up front. Must be because they are so close to the cabin in a Z4 - you hear the klocking even with the top down. Usually top down solves everything, but not this. Going back to stock asap.

Super happy with the all bearing setup rear though. That made a larger difference than I had expected. The inner bushings are rather small on the Z4, but you can definitely feel that they are both gone. More road feel, more responsiveness to steering and accelerator pedal inputs.

WeChat Image_20200721140042.jpg

Last edited:

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
The new camber plates allowed us to dial in more camber and caster up front. In combination with the OEM springs and extended length dampers, the ride height is still somewhere slightly above stock. This means the static camber is "only" -3 deg. With the old camber plates I also had -3 deg, because the ride height was lower with the stock length dampers. Alright then... the overall result should be a better performance-to-comfort ratio.

Before (drivers side), maxed out ground control plates:

WeChat Image_20200721144139.jpg

After (passenger side), custom made camber plates:

WeChat Image_20200721140504.jpg

We raised the rear by around 8mm, and dialed in rear camber to -2 deg. Rear is still running Eibach pro-kit springs (Progressive: 65.6N/mm (initial) - 131.6N/mm (final)). Here's how we raised the rear:

WeChat Image_20200721144126.jpg

We adjusted the "new" rear upper control arms so that when the lower control arms are in the middle position, I have -2 deg camber. Before I had to max out the eccentric bolt to get close to -2deg - even at lowered ride height. And we were still able to dial in some toe-in. The raised ride height, which is now closer to stock, probably helped toe as well.

Here's how the square 275 ET35 setup with a 3mm spacer up front looks now.

WeChat Image_20200721140458.jpg

WeChat Image_20200721140452.jpg

I might want to lower the front ever so slightly, and increase the rear sway bar stiffness, but otherwise pretty happy with the balance.

For reference, nelow is how it looked before with the lower rear ride height, old camber plates front as well as old rear control arms.

WeChat Image_20200721143242.jpg

WeChat Image_20200721143248.jpg

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
For any Z4 owners reading the thread and thinking about their upper rear control arm bushings: on the Z4, which runs a E46-derived upper rear control arm, one can move from the rubber-sleeved inner bushing to a spherical bearing courtesy of Ben Liaw @ Rogue Engineering - https://www.rogueengineering.com/Ro...per-Inner-Control-Arm-Bearing-Pair_p_258.html. There are $180/set. Until we fabricated different rear arms on my car, I ran these bushing quite happily. They work well and I would recommend them.

Filippo

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
With the Z4 fuel starvation happens below 50% tank in long right hand turns only. I have only ever experienced it at Ningbo International Circuit. They have a 270 deg right hander where you accelerate through the last 180 degs as it opens up. I know a car like the Audi S3 is much worse in this regard, while the M4 basically don't have problems until you are very low on fuel.

sancho78rus

Private
Jul 24, 2020
Russia
Ride
e82 135
Apparently I have a problem with the fuel pump, because it is impossible to track when the tank is half or less.

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2
Apparently I have a problem with the fuel pump, because it is impossible to track when the tank is half or less.
The m2 suffers from the same condition. Dinan sells a modification to the passive jet pump which enhances the fuel transferring ability from the left side of the tank to the right side of the tank so you won't experience fuel starvation even under really low fuel conditions. You can check it out and likely make a cheaper version diy for your car if you cannot buy one from dinan.

• Informative
Reactions: Asbjorn

sancho78rus

Private
Jul 24, 2020
Russia
Ride
e82 135
What error code are you getting?

A couple of times there was an error 29F1 DME: Fuel Pressure, Plausibility
Other time just lack of power.
And its ok when I race on full tank.

The m2 suffers from the same condition. Dinan sells a modification to the passive jet pump which enhances the fuel transferring ability from the left side of the tank to the right side of the tank so you won't experience fuel starvation even under really low fuel conditions. You can check it out and likely make a cheaper version diy for your car if you cannot buy one from dinan.
Thanks, I'll think about it.

Reactions: F87Source

F87Source

Sergeant
Oct 14, 2019
Canada
Ride
2017 Bmw M2

No problem! I really hope this helps you out, because I know this issue sucks.

Also no hard feelings about earlier if I sounded rude, I know that is how I sound sometime because I can be really blunt, but I just had no other way of explaining how the oil pick up goes dry under high G forces.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT

Actually in my experience that doesn't sound like fuel starvation. Fuel starvation should produce a code that says something about injector cut out. And it is quite violent. There will also be a check engine light, and you'll have to turn the engine off and on again before continuing if I remember correctly.

If you do a normal 3rd WOT log, what does the hpfp curve look like? Does it drop way below say 2000psi?