xHP Stage 3 working in D & S but not M (paddle shift)

Ron1776

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
St. Louis
Ride
2009 335xi E92 (JB4 & xHP)
So I just flashed my 2009 335xi E92 with xHP stage 3 and everything works except now the paddle shifters do nothing...Any ideas?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Recoding may not solve your issue. On some cars, (including mine), each time I flash any stage, I have to use NCSExpert to code the EGS module back on after using xHP. It doesn't matter what stage...even if you flash back to stock, it may not recognize the paddles. Takes less than 2 mins to do if you know how to do it. I cannot advise or instruct you on the process since my car is specific to my situation in terms of the NCSExpert process. There are a couple of way to do it and you have to find which way your car needs.

Ron1776

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
St. Louis
Ride
Recoding may not solve your issue. On some cars, (including mine), each time I flash any stage, I have to use NCSExpert to code the EGS module back on after using xHP. It doesn't matter what stage...even if you flash back to stock, it may not recognize the paddles. Takes less than 2 mins to do if you know how to do it. I cannot advise or instruct you on the process since my car is specific to my situation in terms of the NCSExpert process. There are a couple of way to do it and you have to find which way your car needs.

I can use NCS Expert. Can you tell me what EGS function I'm looking for? TIA

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I can use NCS Expert. Can you tell me what EGS function I'm looking for? TIA

Load expert profile.
You must choose your body style - for e9x cars you choose e89.
Read ECU, choose CAS
Choose EGS module
F6 to go back.
Then process.

There is no function to choose. EGS module needs to be wholly recorded on ok your TCU and the paddles will be recognized.

These directions are vague at best and I do not think about it when I perform the sequence. So it you know NCS well, you will understand. But if not..
You won't be able to figure some parts out and may get stuck.

Ron1776

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
St. Louis
Ride
Load expert profile.
You must choose your body style - for e9x cars you choose e89.
Read ECU, choose CAS
Choose EGS module
F6 to go back.
Then process.

There is no function to choose. EGS module needs to be wholly recorded on ok your TCU and the paddles will be recognized.

These directions are vague at best and I do not think about it when I perform the sequence. So it you know NCS well, you will understand. But if not..
You won't be able to figure some parts out and may get stuck.

So just read the module and flash it back unchanged?

Ron1776

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
St. Louis
Ride
OK, just recoded today and no joy...I can activate manual mode from the center console shifter but paddles are dead!

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
OK, just recoded today and no joy...I can activate manual mode from the center console shifter but paddles are dead!

List your EXACT step by step including the f keys. If there is just one single misstep or wrong order, it will not work. Ask me how I know.

Your situation is EXACTLY identical to mine. EXACTLY....except for you have an x drive trans. So you should be certain that you chose the correct vehicle order so your exact egs module is given to you. Otherwise, if you have the wrong V.O., you will be trying to code a RWD TCU onto a AWD TCU.

Ron1776

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
St. Louis
Ride
Sorry for the delay - Busy weekend!

1) Launch NCS Expert
2) Load Revtor's NCS Expert Profile
3) F1
4) F3
5) Select E89 Chassis
6) Select CAS ECU and wait for FG and FA to populate
7) F6
8) F4
9) Select TCU ECU
10) F4 and wait for trace file pop up
11) Close pop up
12) F2
13) Select SG_CODIEREN
14) F3 and wait for "Coding ended" message and chime from the car

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Sorry for the delay - Busy weekend!

1) Launch NCS Expert
2) Load Revtor's NCS Expert Profile
3) F1
4) F3
5) Select E89 Chassis
6) Select CAS ECU and wait for FG and FA to populate
7) F6
8) F4
9) Select TCU ECU
10) F4 and wait for trace file pop up
11) Close pop up
12) F2
13) Select SG_CODIEREN
14) F3 and wait for "Coding ended" message and chime from the car

That was what I was afraid of.
1. I do not use Revtor profile. I use normal expert profile.
2. There is no trace file to pop up. If this happens, too many steps are taken.
3. There is no "select TCU ECU step. Only EGS select.

So what you are doing is different from what I do. This list of steps is what I did under forum instructions and in my case, I was also told to use Revtor profile, then to use another profile called "Expertprofile ohne..." and neither one worked. finally I contacted bimmergeeks and he guided me through and it worked with a regular expert profile. I bought a bimmergeeks adapter and emailed him with my issue and he was very helpful.

I will try to do it again and list the steps exactly as I do it. But I am afraid my schedule is booked until end of year with on location shooting.

One thing you don't have to worry about is that your trans or TCU is faulty...it is not. You only need to know the correct steps to recode the paddles. Again...your tcu/valvebody is NOT broken.

Ron1776

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
St. Louis
Ride
It just dawned on me - Step 9 above should be EGS and not TCU! Recoding EGS fixed my paddles!!! Thanks for all your help :)

Reactions: matreyia