Would the Exedy 6R80 clutches fit a 6hp21?

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
The info i find on the Ford trans says it's a 6hp26 modified and built by Ford. What and how it's modified I don't know. But the internals look very similar. And similar to the 6hp21.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I kind of doubt it, otherwise they'd be advertised as usable on a 6hp also since BMW is far from the only company to use ZF. That said, I dont think anyone here will be able to answer you for sure.

Even with the platform being a decade old, transmission and driveline work is all still pretty new stuff for us.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No, the 6R80 is Ford's version of the 6HP26, a first generation ZF transmission but without all the expensive software development put in by BMW/ZF(This is why they are locked down). The 6HP28 is the second generation equivalent and that is still the wrong transmission.

Lets think about it for a second, the 6HP21 is a 21mm input shaft. The 6HP26 is a 26mm input shaft and the 6HP28 is a 28mm input shaft. The shape of all the parts between the transmissions are different and this won't be a solution.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
No, the 6R80 is Ford's version of the 6HP26, a first generation ZF transmission but without all the expensive software development put in by BMW/ZF(This is why they are locked down). The 6HP28 is the second generation equivalent and that is still the wrong transmission.

Lets think about it for a second, the 6HP21 is a 21mm input shaft. The 6HP26 is a 26mm input shaft and the 6HP28 is a 28mm input shaft. The shape of all the parts between the transmissions are different and this won't be a solution.

ah. I didn't know what the numbering meant. makes sense now.
Thanks.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Omg did I just read level 10 proven that is biggest scam and the pd kit comes with bushings and clutches and is proven to hold 700 hp to wheels no prob as in Is designed for it. I belive only thing not coming with the kit is the zip kit . Level 10 is pretty much just stock parts and alot of people got screwed by them out of everyone with the pd upgrade no one has had issues and one person reported an issue with xhp shift behavior but is prob nothing to do with the kit since works fine without xhp so sounds like tuning issue

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Omg did I just read level 10 proven that is biggest scam and the pd kit comes with bushings and clutches and is proven to hold 700 hp to wheels no prob as in Is designed for it. I belive only thing not coming with the kit is the zip kit . Level 10 is pretty much just stock parts and alot of people got screwed by them out of everyone with the pd upgrade no one has had issues and one person reported an issue with xhp shift behavior but is prob nothing to do with the kit since works fine without xhp so sounds like tuning issue
^ this. Stay away from level 10 and go with PD.

• Agree
Reactions: Rob09msport

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Link?
My Google has not been able to find a company page for them ever.

Well I found this thread that I missed,
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/propulsive-dynamics-clutches-gb.3188/

Still can't find any company site.
And at $1,200 the level ten kit is cheaper and still proven.

Level 10 is a rebuild kit, not a mentionable upgrade. If it is an upgrade, they have zero proof. Propulsive dynamics has actual SAE J24B7 Friction testing results. When Level 10 shows they have custom frictions created for them, not to mention SAE testing(expensive) then maybe they have something.

Try reading a few threads listed below, there are several on this forum and also results from customers if you poke around. There are plenty of these transmissions floating around and all are doing great, one in particular is making over 800whp. While you can't buy the assembled built transmission as easily as you could before, it is still possible through EuroTrans, but the clutches and race bushes are sold separately now. So that is the part you really care about.

The clutches were upgraded and proven to be stronger than the other physical hard parts of the transmission such as the input shaft. So the PD trans quite literally upgrades the transmission as much as it can be without other extreme measures such as billet parts, not including cryotreatment etc.

If you want information, please show me that Level 10 has provided more than this:

upload_2018-9-5_2-16-37.png

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads...calibration-procedure-and-data.619/#post-2542
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads...hing-mass-production-of-6hp21-19-upgrade.500/
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/propulsive-dynamics-a-t-upgrade-beta-results.562/
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads...raded-6hp21-group-buy-info-sign-up-list.1086/
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/upgraded-clutch-kits-now-available.2001/

• Informative
Reactions: Rob09msport

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
The PD threads I'd found claimed +30% TQ capacity over stock ... which was rated for 335TQ ... so a total rating of 445 TQ.

Yes people are pushing the stock trans to well over the rating, me. But at what cost, my E Clutch.

Charts and graphs of things I have no idea what they mean, not going to sell me on something. Someone doing 800TQ for 60,000 miles, that'll sell me.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
People run 500 no prob stock when they were saying 30 percent they were referring to figures more in line with what the transmission is capable of and Jason was very conservative to not mislead people. These transmissions are very robust the prob is they start slipping. If solenoids good sleeve not leaking and not slipping they usually don't blow now if you ignore one of those issues then you damage hard parts . The pd kit raises the point at which will slip I actually don't know of one slipping yet new failure mode becomes input shaft which you could get cryo if you are pushing those crazy numbers or maybe could be lucky and get a nizpro shaft from someone

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Then go buy level 10. I don't know what else to tell you besides perhaps you should learn what those graphs mean.

I find it interesting that data means nothing on this platform. They just want to see a dyno or a snazzy sales pitch and are convinced.

I wish I could insert a oxyclean gif right now.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Then go buy level 10. I don't know what else to tell you besides perhaps you should learn what those graphs mean.

I find it interesting that data means nothing on this platform. They just want to see a dyno or a snazzy sales pitch and are convinced.

I wish I could insert a oxyclean gif right now.
If you close your eyes our transmissions will instantly shift in to whatever gear you think automatically. It will do this so smoothly you will never be able to perceive a difference. Upon opening your eyes our state of the art bs0meter will detect and instantly shift back into the originally gear. 100 percent gaurantee you will not feel the shift ever. If you do please send video and we will refund double the money back. Warning g our bs0meter will detect camera as eye so you must start recording when you open otherwise will not shift.
Price TBD upon measuring lack of intelligence during purchase phone call.
Level 11 transmission inc

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces