Windage tray Bolts

Drock3d

Nov 3, 2018
Ride
335is/650i GC
I am in the middle of replacing rod bearings on my n54 and I cannot determine where to purchase the aluminum bolts for my windage tray. I've honestly never heard these mentioned.

Anyone know where I can get a set or can I reuse with threadlocker since these are low torque. 4nm?

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
I saw your post on Facebook and then it dissapeared from my feed...

The bolts do not have their own part number listed on realoem... They come as part of the "engine bolt kit" on real oem which includes like 5 bolt packages.

But, they do get sold individually as "oil pump screw kit" on ecs:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135i-N55_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Oil_pump_screw_set/

The stretch you put on an aluminum bolt is what gives it it's clamping force... Do not reuse them. Buy new and stretch 8nm then 45* as per TIS... Do not reuse old bolts. They will snap when re-stretched.

Reactions: kayzrx82

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Just like per BMW then N54 can't be rebuilt without thousands of special tools right?

Fuck. Jesus fuck me Christ. I totally installed oil squirters without the BMW alignment tool. Engine fucked.

Oh, I also reused my oil pan bolts. Didn't snap, don't leak.

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
Don't reuse aluminum bolts. Your this far along, don't skimp on something thats within the motor. They are already stretched from the first install.

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
Just like per BMW then N54 can't be rebuilt without thousands of special tools right?

Fuck. Jesus fuck me Christ. I totally installed oil squirters without the BMW alignment tool. Engine fucked.

Oh, I also reused my oil pan bolts. Didn't snap, don't leak.

Just because the bolts "didnt snap, dont leak" doesn't mean its done correctly. The next person who attempts to take those bolts out for service later on can have issues with snapped fasteners, or the bolts will loosen over time and leak down the road. Ive had to recover a lot of these bolts that have broken off in the block. The reason BMW uses the alignment jig for the oil squirters is to make sure that the stream is aimed at the correct location on the underside of the piston. Yeah you can get away without doing it this way but you will never know if its optimal or if its squirting at the correct location because its hidden inside the block. Same with the alignment jig for the cam trays, people get away without using them. That doesn't mean the cam bearings are aligned properly and isn't slowly eating away at the cam bearing surfaces due to misalignment. I saw a guy on facebook time his motor without the cam timing lock tool, he just used his eyes to look at the qr code on the cam and the motor ran. Is this ideal?? no. Did it work, maybe. Is it running optimally, maybe maybe not. These "special tools" don't bring bmw any money. They are there to idiot proof and make sure the install, alignment, timing, etc are done properly and can be repeated over and over by the tech without bringing in human error to the repair.

Reactions: Hydra Performance