What is the next upgrade?

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
Where are you located?

I'm located in South Florida near Fort Lauderdale.

Apologies to NoGuru for thread jacking as it was not my intention. Next thing I'm going to do is do a leakdown test and possibly inspect the head as I want to make sure my cam ledges are OK as I was throwing 2a87 for the longest time.

NoGuru, I hope you find your leak as well.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I just knew that it was alot better with the gcs when tested and that it's not common for people to be aware of. Now if old boost solenoids or leaky connections would that be issue or no ?
Also If compressor over speeds could it literally start losing grip on the air and slip so essentially cavitates like a prop running to fast ? I just cant understand why the boost falls off so fast usually when it is running out of turbo it's not so drastic.

I just thought of a way to test this if target 15 psi and see if it holds that to redline that could pinpoint a turbo issue right.
Many things could cause an issue, yes a poor or leaking vacuum system will cause low boost, and boost fall off, Overspeed can cause it, etc.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I'm located in South Florida near Fort Lauderdale.

Apologies to NoGuru for thread jacking as it was not my intention. Next thing I'm going to do is do a leakdown test and possibly inspect the head as I want to make sure my cam ledges are OK as I was throwing 2a87 for the longest time.

NoGuru, I hope you find your leak as well.
No, it's fine, we can troubleshoot here. I just know the topic could change as this is more of an open progression thread.

What is this "Overspeed" I hear mentioned.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Just curious, but why is boost tapered in the first place? Shouldn't these turbos be able to hold 25+ psi all the way to redline? Just seems odd seeing the boost target taper from 20psi down.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I looked at some of my old logs when I had a boost leak and it looked very similar to yours. Yours is bleeding off 3 psi or so. Mine would bleed off 5psi and it was just the o-ring on the BOV.

I would check your chargepipe T-map o-ring, your throttle body o-ring, and one silly one - if you have meth bugs in the chargepipe - make sure they are plugged. Those all seem small enough to only allow that little amount to be bled off. Do you have silicone outlets? I'd expect a crack in them to bleed more boost, but anything is possible.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I looked at some of my old logs when I had a boost leak and it looked very similar to yours. Yours is bleeding off 3 psi or so. Mine would bleed off 5psi and it was just the o-ring on the BOV.

I would check your chargepipe T-map o-ring, your throttle body o-ring, and one silly one - if you have meth bugs in the chargepipe - make sure they are plugged. Those all seem small enough to only allow that little amount to be bled off. Do you have silicone outlets? I'd expect a crack in them to bleed more boost, but anything is possible.
All that stuff is going to be next on the list of things to check. I don't have meth bungs but I am leaning towards the stuff you listed.
I did start seeing some smoke when I was idling today so I am not going to drive the car except to the shop to have it looked at now.

My Exhaust is VRSF downpipes, and Vibrant resonates with the IS mufflers.
Here is a quick clip of how it sounds.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have same setup and love it I wouldnt mind little more flow so I am thinking of vrsf 3.5 but I was curious if you had a cat that could be clogging or something. I was thinking why not smoke test with uv fog ? This way any leak will glow with black light

Reactions: NoGuru

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have same setup and love it I wouldnt mind little more flow so I am thinking of vrsf 3.5 but I was curious if you had a cat that could be clogging or something. I was thinking why not smoke test with uv fog ? This way any leak will glow with black light
Interesting idea using UV smoke. I might consider that once I get the smoke issue sorted out. I hope it's not a head gasket.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Interesting idea using UV smoke. I might consider that once I get the smoke issue sorted out. I hope it's not a head gasket.
I hear ya my car running good finally but I still want do compression test , I'm just so scared of finding something cause I'll have to fix it lmao

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I wanted to show my valves after about 10K walnut blast.
1322030790795.jpg1322030785104.jpg1322030787694.jpg1322030789211.jpg1322030792288.jpg1322030793463.jpg

Attachments

• 1322030790795.jpg
    1322030790795.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Wow
Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Was trying to Walnut blast my valves but the blaster kept getting clogged. Was considering taking the head off and cleaning the valves by hand and replacing the head gasket and valve cover gasket while in there. Any down side to this? Is this overkill for what I am doing?

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Was trying to Walnut blast my valves but the blaster kept getting clogged. Was considering taking the head off and cleaning the valves by hand and replacing the head gasket and valve cover gasket while in there. Any down side to this? Is this overkill for what I am doing?

When walnut blasting isn't doing the job, I close the valves, spray in some brakleen, and scrape the shit off with a pick. Then walnut blast some more.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

Way overkill do not do it. Seriously F that. I would only swap a good head for fully worked one.

What got clogged exactly?

Close the valves, spray, and scrap as said above. Then blast away. Rinse repeat. It can take a while to get them perfect.

Edit: I would plug the head and run both a low and high side catch can with a vacuum source for both. That should help with build up in the future.

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Which Walnut blaster are you using? The handheld hopper one isn't worth messing with. The harbor freight 20lb media blaster works great and you should never need to hand scrape anything. Mine were awful, like 60k miles worth and came out looking spotless, and I didn't even use 5lbs of media.