What catch can setup do you recommend for a single turbo setup ?

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
I was looking at these:

https://acfabrication.net/products/n54-valve-cover-fittings

to possibly make a custom setup.

Obviously I would make a custom setup with a dual catch can. Anyone running these ?
Which dual catch cans are recommended without having a ridiculous price ?
I understand the lines go from these fittings to the catch cans, I am unsure where the other end going from the catch cans go. I understand one goes to the rear turbo inlet(I'm going single and would prefer not having a hose going to my air filter)

Thanks

Last edited:

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
We're making a dual OCC kit that's in the works right now. :)
Hopefully soon! In testing now. :)

Im extremely interested in the dual catch can set up. Let me know if you need a beta tester! I was just about to pull the trigger on a dual radium catch can setup and all fittings but Id rather have the convenience of a kit made for the N54

Gencheezzy

Private
Aug 4, 2018
Ride
e90 335i 6mt
I have a brand new VTT Dual CC setup for sale for 450 shipped. My kit is worth over $500

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Nothing firm yet. All the dual OCC work the same basics. We're just working out the cleanest install and most modular for current setups out there.
We don't like making people replace everything ;)

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Nothing firm yet. All the dual OCC work the same basics. We're just working out the cleanest install and most modular for current setups out there.
We don't like making people replace everything ;)

Is there a way to bypass having a hose go to the air filter ( single setup ) ? I'm trying to avoid that but can't see any other way to get that vacuum

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
I'm going docrace single, trying to figure out something for the pcv to make sure everything goes right.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Is there a way to bypass having a hose go to the air filter ( single setup ) ? I'm trying to avoid that but can't see any other way to get that vacuum

I am in the same boat, some people say there is not much vacuum stock but I can't believe that. I would rather not run a filter to the other side of my engine bay...

That being said I run a BMS high side with no vacuum source and the RB low side w/ head ports plugged iirc.

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
See my post Here for what I believe to be the best all-around PCV setup, whether its stock, upgraded twins, or ST. The most important things are A: you want to make sure you have *some* vacuum on decel/idle so the turbos drain properly and B: make sure theres no POSITIVE pressure while under boost. Since theres a high chance of more pos pressure generated under high boost than there is vacuum made by a spinning turbo I think this addresses all the problems we face on the N54 once tuned.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
See my post Here for what I believe to be the best all-around PCV setup, whether its stock, upgraded twins, or ST. The most important things are A: you want to make sure you have *some* vacuum on decel/idle so the turbos drain properly and B: make sure theres no POSITIVE pressure while under boost. Since theres a high chance of more pos pressure generated under high boost than there is vacuum made by a spinning turbo I think this addresses all the problems we face on the N54 once tuned.

Can you replace the bigfoot sighting vid with some pics so self proclaimed internet professionals can critique it?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Can you replace the bigfoot sighting vid with some pics so self proclaimed internet professionals can critique it?
It was shot on my phone, and only saved through IG which I downloaded it from and had to upload to FB to post it here since many people are anti-IG-links here so it's been ransacked by compression too, my apologies.

I will get some pictures of the setup within the next few days if you'd like, but my description should be enough for those internet professionals to critique one would think.

It's essentially a hybrid of a heavily modified VS breather setup mixed with a modified VTT/RB low side setup. I use check valves on both high and low side with the flapper in place on the high side still. One check valve to stop the flapper from trying to pull any air from the head port itself and allow vacuum while under no boost yet allowing air in through the high flow breather can to source vacuum for the flapper, and another check valve between the throttle body and low side can to stop pressurization of the can or any potential PCV valve leaks, but use an actual PCV valve from Toyota in the line between the VC and low side can to allow controlled vacuum. The check valves and PCV valve work in the opposite directions while under boost allowing full VTA ventilation through the breather can, and then the VTT oil cap breather also has it's own check valve to both maintain vacuum when needed yet vent any excess pressure that may occur.

I have no nasty smells from being VTA since it's on the high side only, no oil spraying anywhere because the pressure has 3 exit routes instead of only one under high pressure, as well as most blowby being caught on the low side, and of course dont have to worry about smoking turbos or ruining seals thanks to OE-style controlled vacuum and race-inspired VTA venting.

Reactions: BettyWhitee92

BettyWhitee92

Oct 9, 2019
Ride
335i
Panzerfaust

Any chance of seeing that flapper setup? Almost have this complete except for the 2jz pcv and flapper setup. Dm me you ig account!

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Panzerfaust

Any chance of seeing that flapper setup? Almost have this complete except for the 2jz pcv and flapper setup. Dm me you ig account!
I never did get any detailed pictures of it taken, and unfortunately my car is at the shop due to having a hole blown through cylinder 5 so I can't snap anything detailed now either, but these two pictures do at least show the high/VTA side and that it's really a pretty simple setup. Fair warning, the engine bay was a bit messy at the time these pics were taken lol.

As you can see, the back/right port on the catch can is connected to a -10AN hose that simply took the place of the OEM corrugated hose on the OEM flapper valve. It was as simple as cutting a slit on and pulling the old factory hose off of the flapper to get that part to hook up.

The front/left port of the CC is running to the service port on the front of the cylinder head through another -10 line, and that's the line that has a check valve in it (with the "Flow ->" text and arrowing pointing towards the catch can) so that the flapper will pull air through the breather filter rather than trying to pull vacuum as if it was in a closed system. Truth be told I don't know for sure that the check valve there is 100% necessary since I would assume the metered flow from the flapper valve likely isn't strong enough to pull extra vacuum than what the breather allows in, but I thought it was better safe than sorry and the system doesn't pull excess vacuum or cause howling seals so I left well enough alone. I don't recall the exact size and threading of the fitting required for the service port, though I'm sure @doublespaces knows if you can't find it elsewhere.

Attachments

• 20191007_204345.jpg
    20191007_204345.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 20190706_184305.jpg
    20190706_184305.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 256