What’s the best oil for tuned and highly boosted N54 engines?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Mobil 1 used to have good formula but alot dont like the new one as it drops weight very fast I a high shear engine like the n54

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
And everyone goes to videos all the time 540 rat blog has a great write up literally takes hrs to read. He explains and gives merit to bmw ll1 but also states Porsche has the best standard. Find an oil with ll1 Porsche and nissan gtr approved and your pretty damn safe imo

Reactions: Jeffman

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Castrol 0W-40 edge w/ 3000 mile interval. My titanium ppm is sky high in comparison, unsure if it's because of my ferrea valvetrain or turbo wear (RB classics have almost 50k miles now). Tiny amount of fuel in the oil from my leaky injectors is causing irregularities in my viscosity, but that isn't due to the oil.

Attachments

• 10 335I-190620.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Informative

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Castrol 0W-40 edge w/ 3000 mile interval. My titanium ppm is sky high in comparison, unsure if it's because of my ferrea valvetrain or turbo wear (RB classics have almost 50k miles now). Tiny amount of fuel in the oil from my leaky injectors is causing irregularities in my viscosity, but that isn't due to the oil.

Titanium is used as an additive in Castrol.

• Informative

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So... I did my third cycle oil change (double change) where I flush the motor, then run the new oil for one tank of gas, then do a final change. Something very interesting happened completely by chance due to the covid situation.

I have PureStage 2 high flows now..and been using LiquiMoly Molygen and Motul 300 alternately and change the oil every 3k miles. I thought I was doing pretty good as throttle response was pretty good. However, this time, due to emergency situation at home I did my flush and went ahead and bought Castro Edge Titanium 5w40 to use as the first 'flush' oil which would be replaced by the Molygen oil after the first tank of gas. I do this because after flushing the motor, I do two oil changes to make sure as much of the flushing agent is out of the motor as possible...I don't want alterations to the viscosity from any remnant motor flush solution.

To my surprise, immediately after changing to Castro Titanium I noticed quick throttle response and a peppier pick up. I thought it was because of the motor flush. But after doing the second oil change and filling up with the Molygen...the car felt slower response and not a peppy. So...I may have just found the oil for my particular car from now on. And it's cheaper than all the other crap I been using just because I thought the expensive shit was better.

I will do another change after a few hundred miles and return to Castro Titanium to see if it was my imagination...and will update.

Reactions: NoGuru

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
So... I did my third cycle oil change (double change) where I flush the motor, then run the new oil for one tank of gas, then do a final change. Something very interesting happened completely by chance due to the covid situation.

I have PureStage 2 high flows now..and been using LiquiMoly Molygen and Motul 300 alternately and change the oil every 3k miles. I thought I was doing pretty good as throttle response was pretty good. However, this time, due to emergency situation at home I did my flush and went ahead and bought Castro Edge Titanium 5w40 to use as the first 'flush' oil which would be replaced by the Molygen oil after the first tank of gas. I do this because after flushing the motor, I do two oil changes to make sure as much of the flushing agent is out of the motor as possible...I don't want alterations to the viscosity from any remnant motor flush solution.

To my surprise, immediately after changing to Castro Titanium I noticed quick throttle response and a peppier pick up. I thought it was because of the motor flush. But after doing the second oil change and filling up with the Molygen...the car felt slower response and not a peppy. So...I may have just found the oil for my particular car from now on. And it's cheaper than all the other crap I been using just because I thought the expensive shit was better.

I will do another change after a few hundred miles and return to Castro Titanium to see if it was my imagination...and will update.
Try some Valvoline VR1 racing oil

May 15, 2018
Ride
08 335xi E92

What oil are you running in your car currently?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've used penrite running in oil when I built my engine.

I've been using Nulon 5w40 e85 compatible oil and its LL-01 after the running in period and it has 4k interval oil changes since.

Its been perfect, nice quick response, very smooth running.

When I lifted the head after 15k miles the engine was stripped down.

To my amazement it had no signs of wear anywhere.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
What I have noticed from using vr1 for an extended period of time is that it being a conventional oil does not wreak havok on your gaskets like a synthetic oil would

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been using nulon 05-40, its long life ll-01 oil and e85 compatible.

Ticks all the boxes and never had an engine failure when using it

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
There is a small Euro company based in germany called Ravenol. Plenty of M4 users are highly recommending the Ravenol RCS oil on their high output S55's. Another example is their Ravenol DXG oil, which meets the latest specifications to avoid LSPI for modern engines. Diving into their datasheets is no waste of time :) Nevertheless, a more frequent oil change is the key to keep the engine running for a long time, no matter what oil you use.