Technical Weight savings, accesory deletes, etc

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Hey guys, just wondering if we could get a thread rolling on what weight savings and "deletes" you've done or are available for our N54 cars and if the info is available, the amount of weight savings or a DIY if it's a more in-depth thing, etc.

This thread is spurred on by a few things;
1. We've seen that a stock car with heavy weight savings can do significantly more than what most people with thousands in go-fast parts or built engine/trans can do.
2. There seems to be a very quickly growing subgroup of us who are serious about 1/4 mile or general track related times and records - the N54 Drag Group has had several posts just in the past few days about related things to this thread
3. Since my car is now going to be drag-oriented first and foremost + I needed to buy a new belt anyway I purchased the HARD Motorsports A/C delete kit (which @doublespaces was kind enough to point out on FB I probably wont need, since I'm from Chicago :tearsofjoy:)

When I get the entire A/C system out (or at least the majority of it, if any part of it will cause more hassle than help) I'll weigh the parts and post up the savings for you guys if you'd like.

I also ordered the HARD Motorsports fog light delete/intakes which I don't expect to save a ton of weight, but I suppose every bit counts at the strip and I plan on using the inlet ports to feed cooler air to my hot side inlets and help provide cooling to my engine rather than their typical brake cooling setup. I also have an oil cooler delete plate, which I'm sure is a whole 2lbs of savings at best but also allows me to run my drastically superior oil cooler.
--------
Aside from the above things I've personally done or am doing, I know the "Drag Pack" rear wheel conversion (328i and e39 rear brake parts, 15" Summit or Jegs wheels and MT drag tires) is a typical weight savings of 30-37-ish lbs over the stock rear wheels alone. And as we all know that's all rotational mass which is a much bigger benefit than static weight savings.

Has anyone on here pulled seats or carpeting out and weighed them? I plan on a rear seat delete as well as yanking out the carpet in back, and stripping out the trunk as well. I know that the seats are usually the biggest savings and I'll pull the passenger seat out when going to the track too, but keeping it in my car normally since I have a SO.

Any info, experience, or DIYs that can be posted in here would be greatly appreciated!
20190405_195102.jpg

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I can weigh anything you want. My entire interior is out, power steering removed, HVAC removed, oil cooler removed, sunroof delete, lightweight wheels, etc.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Is your car manual or auto?
It's an auto - are you thinking trans cooler delete and manual style radiator or something since itll mostly be a strip car? Cause if so, I actually considered that but since the car will see the street still and the trans is already holding more tq than its rated for I'll likely hold off on that unless it becomes the make-or-break piece of my puzzle - I'm still heavily considering a 6hp28 swap too (or possibly the PD clutches once I see more of how they handle the strip) which I imagine would be better to keep the cooler for.

But hey, if I'm wrong about my guesses and the cooler is as useful as our stock oil cooler t stat then let me know cause I'll RIP that out too lol.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I can weigh anything you want. My entire interior is out, power steering removed, HVAC removed, oil cooler removed, sunroof delete, lightweight wheels, etc.
Honestly if you have the time, a comprehensive list of each major thing (i.e. entire weight of interior carpet, weight of *all* the trunk panels, *all* power steering parts, weight of AC system etc rather than each little piece by piece weight) would be killer to have for anyone interested in the auto sports side of the platform I think.

If that's too much work, I personally would love to know at least the weight of the AC system components, rear seats, pass seat (especially if you have a heated sport seat), trunk panels & carpeting and the sunroof as that's all stuff I know I'll be pulling with the possible exception of the sunroof.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It's an auto - are you thinking trans cooler delete and manual style radiator or something since itll mostly be a strip car? Cause if so, I actually considered that but since the car will see the street still and the trans is already holding more tq than its rated for I'll likely hold off on that unless it becomes the make-or-break piece of my puzzle - I'm still heavily considering a 6hp28 swap too (or possibly the PD clutches once I see more of how they handle the strip) which I imagine would be better to keep the cooler for.

But hey, if I'm wrong about my guesses and the cooler is as useful as our stock oil cooler t stat then let me know cause I'll RIP that out too lol.

Let me know if you want to buy a 6hp28, still have one sitting around. I was going to suggest changing out the drivetrain, i.e. transmission. Seems necessary for competitive times.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Let me know if you want to buy a 6hp28, still have one sitting around. I was going to suggest changing out the drivetrain, i.e. transmission. Seems necessary for competitive times.
Ah, yeah I agree that the stock drivetrain is a big issue. I really wish we had some form of transbrake or significant boost-building launch control on the 6hp gen 2s, that's the one reason I dont know for sure if I'll go with the hp28 but I'm heavily heavily interested and would definitely be willing to buy yours if I do.

Reactions: doublespaces

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Honestly if you have the time, a comprehensive list of each major thing (i.e. entire weight of interior carpet, weight of *all* the trunk panels, *all* power steering parts, weight of AC system etc rather than each little piece by piece weight) would be killer to have for anyone interested in the auto sports side of the platform I think.

If that's too much work, I personally would love to know at least the weight of the AC system components, rear seats, pass seat (especially if you have a heated sport seat), trunk panels & carpeting and the sunroof as that's all stuff I know I'll be pulling with the possible exception of the sunroof.

I'd be happy to if it helps the community. Everything is for sale but nothing has been sold yet. It'll be a few weeks but I can weigh everything. Maybe if I put together a comprehensive list this can be a sticky @doublespaces ?

I will say the front seats are heavy, the sunroof is heavy, HVAC system is decent, and carpeting is decent. Key for drag racing is to get as much weight off the front of the car as possible. Weight on the back of the car, especially with our heavy battery behind the rear wheels, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
If you search "BMW 335 weight reduction" you'll fine various threads on the visual mod forum with some weights. There is also this link similar to realOEM that lists weight. I've never compared to actual though.

Shop is about ready to start on the cage so I'll see if they can weigh the car before starting.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
If you search "BMW 335 weight reduction" you'll fine various threads on the visual mod forum with some weights. There is also this link similar to realOEM that lists weight. I've never compared to actual though.

Shop is about ready to start on the cage so I'll see if they can weigh the car before starting.
Awesome, thank you for the resources! Itd still and awesome to have actual weights for things if you get the chance though

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Awesome, thank you for the resources! Itd still and awesome to have actual weights for things if you get the chance though

Sure thing! I see you're in Chicago. If (and that's a big IF) I get the car back and tuned in time I'll be at SCT Joliet next month. Feel free to swing by and check the car out. Always easier to get a feel for something by seeing it in person.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Sure thing! I see you're in Chicago. If (and that's a big IF) I get the car back and tuned in time I'll be at SCT Joliet next month. Feel free to swing by and check the car out. Always easier to get a feel for something by seeing it in person.
I'm actually living in one of the suburbs right by Joliet! I'll be hitting up Route 66 raceway this spring/summer as well so itd definitely be cool to meet up. I have my drag suspension going in next week and should get my 15" wheel conversion done within the next month or two also, then the plan is to start some test & tuning.

Reactions: SJ_1989

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I'm actually living in one of the suburbs right by Joliet! I'll be hitting up Route 66 raceway this spring/summer as well so itd definitely be cool to meet up. I have my drag suspension going in next week and should get my 15" wheel conversion done within the next month or two also, then the plan is to start some test & tuning.

What suspension setup did you go with? ADE (Strange) shock or off the shelf coilovers like QA1, AFCO, Strange, etc that the domestic guys use?

I'm back and recovered from my vacation lol so I'll start weighing parts tonight.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
What suspension setup did you go with? ADE (Strange) shock or off the shelf coilovers like QA1, AFCO, Strange, etc that the domestic guys use?

I'm back and recovered from my vacation lol so I'll start weighing parts tonight.
I went with OTS Summit Racing drag shocks for older mustang's, and then the new Turner solid monoball upper and lower shock mounts. The shocks are pin-style but have a small "platform" on the top pin to help the rubber bushings that come with them that I had to cut off, and I also had to cut off 12mm of the upper shock mount's inner sleeve bearing in order for everything to attach properly. The monoball mounts will allow for more shock travel and eliminate any binding so they should be excellent for the strip, along with E90 stock springs.

IMG_20190414_165114_768.jpgIMG_20190414_165114_775.jpgIMG_20190414_165114_771.jpgIMG_20190415_124645_447.jpg

Looking forward to seeing those weights! My ac is now officially deleted and I'll be pulling some more stuff out soon so It'll be good to have an idea of the rough weight savings I'll be at since I dont have a scale.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
So I realize it is not super helpful without a full inventory of everything removed, but my e90 is currently right at 3300 with a half tank of gas. Most everything rear of the front seats is pulled, including the sunroof and headliner. A/C is gone, but the HVAC core is still behind the dash.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
but my e90 is currently right at 3300 with a half tank of gas. Most everything rear of the front seats is pulled, including the sunroof and headliner. A/C is gone, but the HVAC core is still behind the dash.

Sounds about right based on what I've weighed piece by piece. I'm still in the process of compiling a master list of everything I've pulled out. I need to just commit a few hours and finish my spreadsheet and have it posted in this thread. It's interesting how a few lbs here few lbs there really add up!

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So I realize it is not super helpful without a full inventory of everything removed, but my e90 is currently right at 3300 with a half tank of gas. Most everything rear of the front seats is pulled, including the sunroof and headliner. A/C is gone, but the HVAC core is still behind the dash.
It may not be the most detailed post, but it's still informative! I think something similar to that is as far as most people looking to reduce weight would go if they plan on still streeting the car, minus maybe the AC (which apparently we're crazy for doing according to many?) so its definitely helpful.

3300lbs is not bad at all, especially if you're pushing 600-700whp. Do you have stock front seats, and if so was that with passenger seat installed or just driver? If 3300 is what stripping just the rear+sunroof does, I can fairly easily imagine I'd be able to get my car down in the lower 3200s once I start stripping.
Sounds about right based on what I've weighed piece by piece. I'm still in the process of compiling a master list of everything I've pulled out. I need to just commit a few hours and finish my spreadsheet and have it posted in this thread. It's interesting how a few lbs here few lbs there really add up!
Still cant wait for this. I have a feeling it'll end up being one of those things that's referenced and circled around most 06-13 BMW groups regardless of model.

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
It may not be the most detailed post, but it's still informative! I think something similar to that is as far as most people looking to reduce weight would go if they plan on still streeting the car, minus maybe the AC (which apparently we're crazy for doing according to many?) so its definitely helpful.

3300lbs is not bad at all, especially if you're pushing 600-700whp. Do you have stock front seats, and if so was that with passenger seat installed or just driver? If 3300 is what stripping just the rear+sunroof does, I can fairly easily imagine I'd be able to get my car down in the lower 3200s once I start stripping.

Still cant wait for this. I have a feeling it'll end up being one of those things that's referenced and circled around most 06-13 BMW groups regardless of model.
So, my A/c had a leak behind the dash, and rather than spend thousands fixing it for my track car, I just had the front parts removed when I had my turbos swapped. That’s why I did the a/c delete. I still have both factory power sport seats. Race seats and a half cage are probably on the radar for next season.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Ah, I see. Even better to know thats possible with both front comfy seats then haha. I removed a perfectly functional A/C system, but it only saw use maybe 15 times in the 5 years I've owned the car because my power windows work. ;) The girlfriend isnt happy about it being removed now that its August but she knows what I want to do with the car and supports it for the most part, even if she thinks I'm kind of crazy.

So do you still have the compressor in the car then, or did you go with the HARD Motorsports or similar A/C delete kit? I've seen a couple people on FB just buy a shorter belt and bypass the compressor pulley but leave several components (including compressor) and to me that almost seems like wasting 50% of the reason to do a delete lol.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I've seen a couple people on FB just buy a shorter belt and bypass the compressor pulley but leave several components (including compressor) and to me that almost seems like wasting 50% of the reason to do a delete lol.

Leave the compressor but delete everything else? But why lol. I had to find a shorter belt since my AC and power steering is deleted