Washers on top of motor mounts?

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
So I’m installing a Doc Race kit on my car. This is my 3rd 335i and 3rd one with a Doc Race kit. The fitment of this kit is not as good as the other two that I have had. Specifically the turbo placement and the downpipe is suspect to me. The turbo is sitting lower than the other two, to the point that it’s impossible to get the blanket on it. Also the downpipe fitment is poor at best, it’s rubbing the firewall and turbo manifold at the same time.

I emailed Doc Race about this and they told me to put washers between the motor mounts and engine mount brackets and that some E92 guys have had to do this. Has anyone heard of this before? This is an extremely ghetto fix to a problem that shouldn’t be there. My motor mounts are brand new OEM BMW, zero miles on them.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I'd ask to swap the kit out for a different one.

Not sure if you are being serious or not but if I can’t get this resolved I will probably go that direction. This kit had missing parts too, like some gaskets and the oil drain flange for the turbo. Not a huge deal but what pisses me the fuck off is I emailed them about it and they never responded. Meanwhile they are posting pictures of their lambo on Instagram. I don’t know what it is about this platform and it’s vendors. Should have bought a CTS-V

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Glad its not just me man. My kit was missing all 6 donut gaskets for manifold to head. I emailed and never got a responce. Our dealer only had 5, so i did the 5 new plus one used. I wasnt gonna sit around and wait another week or more and hope i get them. I had to bend my metal shield where it covers the valve cover to get the turbo to fit and the blanket. Get the blanket on after raising the motor, and just did work this other work this weekend and it rubbed a hole through the blanket. Thats after being on for a month or so. The coolant bracket didnt exactly fit, had to drill a new hole as well. Wish it came with a power steering reservoir bracket. Mines ghetto hanging at the moment.

I plan on putting in turner 80a and plan on adding washers anyway, just due to the fact i dont want the chance of the turbine housing nailing the strut tower.

So no, youre not the only unhappy one after spending 5400...

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
81387820-8699-46BD-9472-4203B737B04D.jpeg
The Turner mounts didn’t work out on my XI. Had to go with AKG.

• Sad
Reactions: doublespaces

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Try the revshift motor mounts if yours are stock or 034. My 034 made the engine sit low and couldn't get my acf kit to fit right. Revshift fixed my issues. Washers are ghetto as fuck but they should work. Get grade 8 at least.

I would demand doc race sends out a new kit that will fits correctly. Sound like it was built on a Friday afternoon.

Sorry to hear about your issues!

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I would call them (don't leave a message) its alot harder to blow off a phone call.
Just don't lose your cool. Maybe the person answering the emails is an idiot.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Try the revshift motor mounts if yours are stock or 034. My 034 made the engine sit low and couldn't get my acf kit to fit right. Revshift fixed my issues. Washers are ghetto as fuck but they should work. Get grade 8 at least.

I would demand doc race sends out a new kit that will fits correctly. Sound like it was built on a Friday afternoon.

Sorry to hear about your issues!

How are your revshift mounts doing.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Any photos?

Here are a couple pictures to show what I am talking about. In the pic with the hot side it actually makes it look like there is more room than there actually is.

The downpipe is what is really bothering me, if you pay attention you can see that the DP is wedged between the firewall but also rubbing on the manifold primary.

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 152

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
How are your revshift mounts doing.

So far so good. Maybe 5k miles? Very early to give a long term review of them but they hold the engine firm which is what I wanted given the close tolerances of a top mount single kit and given the the higher power output I didn't think the stock mounts would last long. I went with the 80a. Not bad NVH, I expected it to be much worse. They look like high quality mounts from handling them before the install.

Unlike the 034 which were junk from day 1. Fuck 034. Fuck ecs for not allowing returns on known faulty products and still selling them to people.

VTT did a review which is why I bought the 034 first. Big mistake, added a week to my ST install and a ton of headaches.

Given the reviews of other motor mount the rev shift seem to be the way to go.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
So far so good. Maybe 5k miles? Very early to give a long term review of them but they hold the engine firm which is what I wanted given the close tolerances of a top mount single kit and given the the higher power output I didn't think the stock mounts would last long. I went with the 80a. Not bad NVH, I expected it to be much worse. They look like high quality mounts from handling them before the install.

Unlike the 034 which were junk from day 1. Fuck 034. Fuck ecs for not allowing returns on known faulty products and still selling them to people.

VTT did a review which is why I bought the 034 first. Big mistake, added a week to my ST install and a ton of headaches.

Given the reviews of other motor mount the rev shift seem to be the way to go.
Thanks for taking the time to answer man. You know what I like to hear about simple parts like this? Quiet. Things have been very quiet about the revshift mounts and I know quite a few here are using them. So good to have a positive statement on them in the void.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Thanks for taking the time to answer man. You know what I like to hear about simple parts like this? Quiet. Things have been very quiet about the revshift mounts and I know quite a few here are using them. So good to have a positive statement on them in the void.

Happy to share my experience. Given the negative reviews of so many mm these seem to be the way to go currently. If things go south I will surely update the forums. I dont understand why when people have negative experiences with vendors they keep them quiet. I work hard for my money, when a product sucks people should be alerted so they dont make the same mistake.

Like didn't mmp have a policy where if you post online 1st before contacting them directly you void the warranty? Or something to that nature? Just insane.

There was a thread where it was thought the rev shift sit higher than stock. My guess is the stocks were old and sagging. I could be wrong. I know the 034 sagged from day 1. My shifting sucked, which I assumed was my uuc ssk I had installed at the same time. I literally would avoid 2nd gear. Turns out the sagging passenger side mm fucked up the shifter linkage enough to make it a bitch. Rev shift installed and shifting is smooth again! That being said, if they are higher it will fix a ST manifold which puts the turbo too close to the shock tower and no need for hack washers.

I wish VTT would update their thread regarding the 034 motor mounts. It would be amazing if they are still fine given the power levels they run and so many complaints and failed units on the forums. My turbos were shot and didn't go WOT and they were junk when I took them off. Maybe they got a lucky batch? Kind of like how they got a lucky motiv 2 plate clutch and no one has had the same driveability experience afaik.

If anyone wants my 034 mounts they are free. Under 5k easy miles on them. You pay for shipping. Please note they are shit but maybe somone does not believe my review ;) be happy to send them to VTT for a comparison as they were they company that vetted them. They were professionally installed at one of the premier BMW shops in NE.

Last edited: