VTT TECH - The 600WHP N54

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Hey guys,

I wrote an article about how to get 600 whp out of your N54 powered BMW. It's not a DIY but goes over the basics of what it takes to get there -I hope some of you find it useful. Screenshots and .pdf attached.

Also -there are MANY ways to do this, and plenty of good quality parts out there -not everything that's good (even stuff we like!) got mentioned. If you have questions, just ask, we're always glad to help.

Chris

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 600 whp.pdf
    652 KB · Views: 180
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
So then why not link it to the thread where people are asking to break down what parts are needed for what power levels? If I knew it was here I would have just done that

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well that thread is old and I never read the article or made any connection, only remember the title. Not to mention, I stopped posting in that thread for the same reason I stopped updating my own version of that same thing, its too vendor centric, people were getting butt hurt over who was or wasn't included and that is the reason I've created the shop. I've stopped working on the shop however as I have other fish to fry so TLDR, I've got other stuff going on right now

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
I did that "overkill" option , double barrel and GC`s, stepped big fmic, charge pipes, cool side silicons etc, heart of the whole package was DB shotgun and GC, every other mod is to support those. that vtt700 power package helped me a lot to do
plans what needed for buildup, just did go trough the list and do on every part some judging if it`s for me and that`s it.

plan was to do a 600/600 but it went little over at the end and on little gutted 3070lbs 135 it seems reasonable fast.
most positive suprice was powerband, on my opinion better than stockers cause of little slower spoolup. worst was
on those 13T-6 stock turbine combo when spoolup was too fast to control on decent way. now i got 7 psi under 2000rpm
and 18 psi on 3000 with this tune on AT6 4th gear. on old ones i got 24 psi on (if i remember right) at some 2400rpm or so and boost came so fast i loosed traction every time.

other guy than Tony who i must thank for help on build is Trebila on tuning side, he has been very helpful too on that side.
we are doing some cold start tweaks still on the software side, remember driving on E85 and it`s allmost winter here.

boost targets is now on 6000 rpm 26 psi

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Did you guys ever tested the shaft speed of your turbos at those psi or maybe at least the outlet temp from the compressor housing? Just wondering how you come up with those recommended psi...

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
On my calculation 7000rpm 23 psi and 19t compressor exceed 170krpm assumed that comp outlet pressure in 2-3 psi over intake manifold pressure. Tony must push that way more higher with those 800plus whp pulls..

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
On my calculation 7000rpm 23 psi and 19t compressor exceed 170krpm assumed that comp outlet pressure in 2-3 psi over intake manifold pressure. Tony must push that way higher with those 800plus whp pulls.
At the top of those 850WHP pulls the WGDC is just held around 100%, there is nothing left in there. The turbines are at full song whatever the motor can spin them too. Most likely around 180-200K. On the balancer, the Stock housing units spin up to 180K RPM instantly. The GC's take much longer, and our balancer usually can't get them much past 160. This is due to the housing flowing so much more, the air tank runs out of volume before it can spin it up. It uses compressed air, and you run the turbos in the stock housings. We tested N54 stage 2's like 4 years back we say almost 230K using stock inlets, which was spinning the snot out of them. The GC's will not spin that high as they do not need to do so to flow as much as the smaller turbines.

We came up with those boost numbers based on experience during our testing

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
On my calculation 7000rpm 23 psi and 19t compressor exceed 170krpm assumed that comp outlet pressure in 2-3 psi over intake manifold pressure. Tony must push that way more higher with those 800plus whp pulls..

Yes, on those pulls absolutely, but please understand that all 19T compressors do not have the same map. The blade tech has changed and the billet wheels flow significantly more than the old 19T compressor maps floating around from the 3000GT days, which is probably what you're finding on the 'nets. You can use those maps as a rough guide for ballparking ideas, and they're a good idea for a gut check -especially when it is marked up for a twin turbo 3 liter- but they're hardly representative of a modern compressor map. These things always evolve. I will say this... the 19T wheel has always been well suited for twin turbo 3 liter motor use. It's a really nice match.

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
on these billet 19t`s you was right on background of cast compressor wheel map but i did rough estimation that these billet compressor wheels flow some 10% more than casted counterparts and estimated that e85 drop charge temp rough by some 20-30 degree c and goarse 3c drop of temp equal 1% volume of air increase so 30c increase air flow affect flow by that same 10% what billlet compressor flow more and that`s why i did estimation of that 170krpm.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Ha! I figured the old 3000GT maps called out to you. They're just too tempting to overlook. As for E85 and charge temps... even if you spray it in your charge pipe, which I don't recommend, you'd see a minimal charge temp drop. Nothing like a properly set up water/meth at high pressures. We love ethanol but its' ability to drop charge temps isn't one of the reasons.

Chris

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
Like i told, it was my guess of flow rate calculated from that cast 19t and estimation of 10% increase caused of billet wheel. That's propably best est i can find from internet. About temp drop, background of it is jb4 logs and charge pipe 2 stage e85 injection where logs show on both stages suddenly prox 15c drop in charge temp when injection was activated. Those est is for sure off on some levels but it was best i coud use

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
Chris, is there aviable any more accurate compressor maps than those stealth 3000 t16 and t19
to do any predictions? compressor intake flow area is on my evaluation some 10% increased over casted
counterpart from mhi. or just take 20t to be closer one to do calculations?