VTT / Precision Raceworks Coil install / Results thread

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
personally i was asking about the dwell timing changes for the PR coils.

I gave this to Jake and Martial in November but no idea if it made it live. Should probably check and find out lol.
upload_2018-8-29_16-40-5.png

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
In our testing we noticed gains in the same area, up top didn't seem to gain as much even with turbos that had plenty more to give. We were also able to test at .031 at 750whp with no misfires. We do suggest running a more reasonable gap around .026 for longetivity tho.
Longevity of what? The coils or plugs or both. After replacing the old harness and making minor physical modifications on the coils, my car runs perfect... on my third tank of gas and still no problems. Neither with 93 or e85 are there any issues at all.

With the old harness and unmodified coils the car ran .030 for one week and then started to misfire.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
In our testing we noticed gains in the same area, up top didn't seem to gain as much even with turbos that had plenty more to give. We were also able to test at .031 at 750whp with no misfires. We do suggest running a more reasonable gap around .026 for longetivity tho.
Longevity of what? The coils or plugs or both. After replacing the old harness and making minor physical modifications on the coils, my car runs perfect... on my third tank of gas and still no problems. Neither with 93 or e85 are there any issues at all.

With the old harness and unmodified coils the car ran .030 for one week and then started to misfire.
Unfortunately given the date of the post, we know that the coil setup Alex was testing with wasn't touching the plugs, so I wouldn't put much stock in the observations. For longevity, I'd recommend not having the coil tip jump the air gap to the spark plug on its way to the electrode tip.

Frankly I've seen no explanation that I've understood relative to plug gap, beyond some comments from tuners that over 0.022" seems to have no effect on performance, so no reason to have the ignition system work any harder than it has to.

We've seen people here run from 0.016" to 0.030+" ... with varying experiences of no misfires to misfires. Including ... "it ran fine for a while, then started misfiring" ... then we get into the plugs. Unfortunately not very cut and dry. I think the guys doing lots of tuning have the best insight, which may be from repetitive feel, but that's just my guess.

For now I returned to Eldors with 97550s ... and will leave it alone until turbos go on the car.

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
From my understanding easiest thought experiment to explain is imagine gal of water water being ignition energy. Now as your spark gap increases you require a larger hose to fill that gap with water from your gallon . So in essence a larger gap uses up all your water quicker meanwhile a smaller gap requires less energy ex smaller hose and your gallon will last longer . Basically you need more voltage for larger gap leaving less amperage for duration. This is why larger gap has diminishing returns even if not misfiring cause you get more complete burn with longer spark duration

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yes ... but another factor is the insulators are like your garden hose - the higher the pressure build up, the more wear and tear on your insulators. So diminishing returns there as well.

Filippo

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
without wishing to stray too far off topic, but what are your thoughts on running Delphi GN10571 coils? After all, these standard fare on the S55 which runs up to 22psi + water injection in an OE application with OE durability. Best of all they're cheap and fit perfectly...

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
without wishing to stray too far off topic, but what are your thoughts on running Delphi GN10571 coils? After all, these standard fare on the S55 which runs up to 22psi + water injection in an OE application with OE durability. Best of all they're cheap and fit perfectly...
People have been using them for years, they're the same coil that the PR and BL set are upgrades from. The Delphi are really no different for our application than the old Bosch ones that originally came on the N54 aside from aesthetics.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
It's the plug that's diff that's why s55 plugs can be run at stock gap for many. Also 22lb on one car doesnt equal 22lb on another car stock, we may be seeing higher cyl pressure. If car is modded and putting down over 500 hp it's fair to say it has higher cyl pressure

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Why is it then that these run without issue on the S55 and S63tu (which uses a very similar looking version with probaby detail differences) ?

S63 is way less power dense than n54 or s55, and the plugs do make a difference. Also factory coils do ok with power levels up to and over 500hp in the higher cylinder pressure inline 6's nobody is saying they don't, but it does take increasingly smaller gaps as you get higher, and the coils aren't really all that reliable. Bosche did the original design and was succeeded by delphi as the oem manufacturer with the n55 and s55 which was then replaced by eldor as the new oem distributor, all using the same design from the n52. Only design change was like 10 years ago when they changed the way the coil engages the plug to the flat spring thing. They are adequate sure. But they are definitely not a high performance coil or a benchmark for reliability lol.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Yeah but keep in mind that these coils have no issue with 600+ whp tuned S55s and S63s still running the stock plug gaps. Also FWIW, GN10571 is the latest OEM design, and not Eldor.

Wait you're using factory s55 plugs? You really shouldn't, they kinda suck and are failure prone with cracking, seen it a few times. I recommend colder plugs on the s55 and n55, and I recommend .018" gap for over 25psi just like on the n54. I've not seen as many misfire issues on the s55 but it's a totally different engine. I haven't tuned one in a while but I'm pretty sure things haven't changed on that front. The s63 is a v8 and much more forgiving.

Reactions: Hydra Performance

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Yeah but keep in mind that these coils have no issue with 600+ whp tuned S55s and S63s still running the stock plug gaps. Also FWIW, GN10571 is the latest OEM design, and not Eldor.
Like he said, the coils work. If you want to run them, go ahead. But there's several threads in these forums (including the one you're reading) where there is solid data showing there's gains to be had from moving to a better coil setup than what came from the factory. Not to mention needing to replace them a lot less often. Since I started really modding the N54 coils have been changed just as often as plugs for me, because just doing plugs didn't restore the car to how I wanted it to run.

• Agree
Reactions: Rob09msport