VTT N54 HPFP Information/Disassembly/Upgrade Post

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Interesting- I had read (never experienced yet) that the benefit of having the 2 fuel pumps was so you could limp it if the high pressure fails. If its a full no start - that almost sounds like a blockage or seizure of the pump? You also mentioned a fluid that spils out - is that a special lubricant or just regular oil?

If we circle back, we can pivot to ensure that we see a paradigm shift in the pump. I don't currently have the bandwidth to take the lead on this, but if we follow best practices, we can disrupt the ecosystem and build consensus that rather than working in silos, and don't get push-back, the take-away will be next generation sweet spot in fueling. I don't want to get our lines crossed, and appear risk averse. We just need to make sure this is a strategic fit for the community so that we leverage synergies across all vendors. My plate is full right now, and this might be your core competency, so I empower you to move the needle, as this project has lots of moving parts (figuratively and literally). Just be sure that what you do is scalable, and that you think outside the box after getting all your ducks in a row and drill down into the nitty gritty of the issue. At the end of the day, it is what it is, we just don't want to miss our window of opportunity and have to punt.

I'll be out of pocket for a bit, so we should take this offline.

Sorry - WAY too long in a corporate world! :p

Holy Fuck! You sound like all the guys I hate! :D For the first sentence I was like "this guy.... " :D:D:D

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Holy Fuck! You sound like all the guys I hate! :D For the first sentence I was like "this guy.... " :D:D:D
Don't mind him, some smartie pants like to throw in *FANCY WORDS* to make sure they emphasize *HIGHLIGHT IDEALS* that way its like their messages have a double meaning full of *KEY WORDS* and associate correctness by echoing the *INSERT MOTTO*

--------
Big long disclosure asking you to delete the message if its contents are not for you blah blah

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Chris, you start to sound a lot like Tony.
You should get away before it's too late man.

Too late? lol

First... this is a fun post/info only, not really a marketing tool, although I understand I'm still wearing the VTT hat.

You gotta understand I was trained working for the Navy. Small, high performance teams. I love the get-it-done-right-and-now mentality, I curse like a sailor, and I have very little tolerance for corporate bullshit. I do, like many of you, still deal with it but I don't have to like it.

Here though I'm just having fun, talking some shit and spilling some knowledge about this stupid little HPFP.

Plus I'm way cuter than Tony so there is only so far the comparison can go.

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I didn't do an oil analysis, but for someone doing this as a serious long term project that would be a worth while endeavor... or just put some high quality oil in there and see what happens. Remember, our tranny's/diffs are "lifetime" oil too, lol.

why on earth people still actually believe that is comical to me too. LIFETIME OIL? lmfao

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Here's a stupid question, are the optional HPFP's you sell with your double barrel shotguns the latest revision pumps? I'm sure they are but i would hate to find out otherwise after i receive it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've got my stock pump and a spare pump. Hopefully they will both last a while.

squeedle

Lurker
May 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
Ride
2009 135i AT MSport Coupe
There is plenty of them, most all plunger style, and flow half as much as these pumps do.
I mean, I'm surprised there aren't other existing pumps that do what you need. There must be thousands of designs out there from various cars over the years. But whatever, just surprising if there isn't.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
There is plenty of them, most all plunger style, and flow half as much as these pumps do.

Tony, Chevy's new LT4 DI HPFP is being overdriven by Comp Cams and they are getting 750hp out of the single pump. I believe both Hot Rod mag and Super Chevy have writeups covering it.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
That's still a cam driven pump, so we'd have to figure out how to control it (not that big of a deal) then also arrange a cam driven assembly. It's an option for sure, and likely a good one since there are upgrades to it out on the market for even more flow, but adapting it won't be a walk in the park.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
That's still a cam driven pump, so we'd have to figure out how to control it (not that big of a deal) then also arrange a cam driven assembly. It's an option for sure, and likely a good one since there are upgrades to it out on the market for even more flow, but adapting it won't be a walk in the park.

Agreed, I was thinking that it could be a single lobe cam that is driven off the vacuum pump in an adapter housing where the stock pump lives. Control is going to be interesting. Syvecs would work but there wouldn't be enough of a market for that. You would want something more cost conscious.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Agreed, I was thinking that it could be a single lobe cam that is driven off the vacuum pump in an adapter housing where the stock pump lives. Control is going to be interesting. Syvecs would work but there wouldn't be enough of a market for that. You would want something more cost conscious.

Like the shotgun? :)

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Like the shotgun? :)

No, the shotgun is in a custom belt drive mount attached to the a/c compressor and I don't think there is any room down there for an LT4 HPFP. But the factory spot behind the vacuum pump has room.

Bay be a hybrid? Put a single barrel shotgun on and slow the factory DME to control the factory HPFP in the shotgun mount then the LT4 HPFP in the factory location controlled by an AIC1?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No, the shotgun is in a custom belt drive mount attached to the a/c compressor and I don't think there is any room down there for an LT4 HPFP. But the factory spot behind the vacuum pump has room.

Bay be a hybrid? Put a single barrel shotgun on and slow the factory DME to control the factory HPFP in the shotgun mount then the LT4 HPFP in the factory location controlled by an AIC1?
I was referring to your 'more cost conscious' comment. Its kind of the concept that Chris is referring to.