VTT Crank Hub Bolt Capture Plate won’t fit???

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve been doing a bunch of maintenance on my 2008 E90 335xi N54 stock turbo AT car 71K miles. Installed the Malo crank hub plate and also tried to install the VTT crank hub bolt capture plate, but the angle of the openings on the VTT piece were about a fraction of a millimeter off, such that none of the mounting screws could be screwed in. Thoughts?
48AE97ED-E36D-4D3E-97BA-1F83AD256E96.jpeg

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
U need to turn / tighten the crank hub bolt until they do.
I’ve been doing a bunch of maintenance on my 2008 E90 335xi N54 stock turbo AT car 71K miles. Installed the Malo crank hub plate and also tried to install the VTT crank hub bolt capture plate, but the angle of the openings on the VTT piece were about a fraction of a millimeter off, such that none of the mounting screws could be screwed in. Thoughts?
View attachment 54548

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Wont that just over torque the crank bolt? Also wasn't the conclusion that this plate does nothing to keep the crank hub from spinning?
Nope, you'd only be moving it a couple more degrees to get the bolts to fit. Also I am not sure about that conclusion by whome ever but logically thinking I can see how It can actually stop the bolt from moving on its own, but as stated it is best used with one of the crank hub solutions.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Nope, you'd only be moving it a couple more degrees to get the bolts to fit. Also I am not sure about that conclusion by whome ever but logically thinking I can see how It can actually stop the bolt from moving on its own, but as stated it is best used with one of the crank hub solutions.
Sorry if my post sounded a tad rude that's my bad. But what i meant was if you look at that picture, wouldn't he need to almost turn that bolt 45 degrees to get it to line up.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Sorry if my post sounded a tad rude that's my bad. But what i meant was if you look at that picture, wouldn't he need to almost turn that bolt 45 degrees to get it to line up.
No worries, no offence taken, in that picture it may appear so but to get it to line up you will have to keep removing it and rotating it around clockwise or anticlockwise to get the closest fit.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
No worries, no offence taken, in that picture it may appear so but to get it to line up you will have to keep removing it and rotating it around clockwise or anticlockwise to get the closest fit.
Lets say you went anticlockwise wouldn't that be a step back as technically your loosening the bolt.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
You're not going to be moving the bolt, only the CBC so that you can find the BEST fit so that you'd only have to move the bolt a little to get the holes and slots to line up.

PLEASE NOTE: IN A SMALL NUMBER OF INSTANCES THE CAPTURE WILL NOT LINE UP WITH THE CRANK BOLT, AND THE DAMPER BOLTS. IN THIS CASE, SUGGEST PUTTING A LITTLE EXTRA STRETCH ON THE BOLT TO GET THEM LINED UP, OR YOU MUST INSTALL A NEW BOLT CLOCKING IT CORRECTLY TO FIT THE CAPTURE.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
I will be installing mine with a 'spline lock' and new bolt soon so i'll make it fit!