Vader Solutions N54 Breather System

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I assume you are leaving the stock pcv system in place to purge the Crank case under vacuum conditions except, your 90 degree bulkhead fitting you have going through the valve cover has no check valve so you are losing vacuum in the crankcase under all idle / decel conditions where its important to have it. No offense you know I already don't like you. But this is a poorly thought out system. It needs some small things to make it work properly

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I assume you are leaving the stock pcv system in place to purge the Crank case under vacuum conditions except, your 90 degree bulkhead fitting you have going through the valve cover has no check valve so you are losing vacuum in the crankcase under all idle / decel conditions where its important to have it. No offense you know I already don't like you. But this is a poorly thought out system. It needs some small things to make it work properly
It looks like he is just copying the Honda/JDM boosted setups where they just vent to atmosphere with massive lines to try and keep crankcase pressures near zero, but never under vacuum.

If the system flows enough volume, it'll work fine, but anyone running it is leaving some hefty engine efficiency on the table by not pulling vacuum on their crankcase at all times.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
It looks like he is just copying the Honda/JDM boosted setups where they just vent to atmosphere with massive lines to try and keep crankcase pressures near zero, but never under vacuum.

If the system flows enough volume, it'll work fine, but anyone running it is leaving some hefty engine efficiency on the table by not pulling vacuum on their crankcase at all times.

I gotta say I kinda agree.. I don't like VTA as a final solution at all..

We might have spoke about this before but what are you pulling a vacuum with? Had anyone tried a standalone crank case vacuum pump?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I gotta say I kinda agree.. I don't like VTA as a final solution at all..

We might have spoke about this before but what are you pulling a vacuum with? Had anyone tried a standalone crank case vacuum pump?
My system isn't final, but is in your poll thread.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area

These engines absolutely have multiple issues that can rear their heads when running them at idle with no vacuum on the crank case, smoking is the main one. This system is not well thought out, and I would never run it on an N54 without fixing the issues

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
These engines absolutely have multiple issues that can rear their heads when running them at idle with no vacuum on the crank case, smoking is the main one. This system is not well thought out, and I would never run it on an N54 without fixing the issues
Blow by caused smoking will not occur if the crankcase is adequately vented. Vacuum isn't necessary, only hugely beneficial. As long as the crankcase does not ever go under positive pressure, it's "ok."

We are totally on the same page though with non vacuum pcv offers being a waste of money and not adequate overall.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
My system isn't final, but is in your poll thread.
Ahhh I had to go back and look to remember lol

I think in the end as for now there is no one trick pony when it comes to pcv for the n54. I think you kinda need to run a dual can system

mt_n54

Lurker
Dec 21, 2016

I agree. OP doesn't really understand the N54 PCV system.

• Agree
Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
Hello everyone as much as I think tony likes little boys I'm gonna have to admit that I do need to rework this kit. With that being said , I am working on a new revision. Will consist of check valves for when off boost . Simple fix and I have an idea on how to get this system looking really clean

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
The problem with electric pumps is that oil and gas vapors will destroy them. Mechanically driven pumps, on the other hand, require the oil vapor to keep them lubed.

Not sure if there are any products out there that are exception to this rule, but it's what I found when looking for dry dump components.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
The problem with electric pumps is that oil and gas vapors will destroy them. Mechanically driven pumps, on the other hand, require the oil vapor to keep them lubed.

Not sure if there are any products out there that are exception to this rule, but it's what I found when looking for dry dump components.

If I'm not mistaken I think some are designed as electric vacuum pumps for cc scavenge pumps.. I maybe me wrong but I remeber this somewhere like a summit catalog.
I wish there was a way to use are current vacuum pump

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
If I'm not mistaken I think some are designed as electric vacuum pumps for cc scavenge pumps.. I maybe me wrong but I remeber this somewhere like a summit catalog.
I wish there was a way to use are current vacuum pump

There are Ford pumps that are on cars (new) with 100k mi waranty's. And Comp Cams makes a performance vacuum pump that moves massive amounts of air for blown big blocks.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
There are Ford pumps that are on cars (new) with 100k mi waranty's. And Comp Cams makes a performance vacuum pump that moves massive amounts of air for blown big blocks.

Elaborate.. When you say Ford pumps? Not many companies make their own anything. We may share the same pump from a manufacturer. When you look at a dissected ecoboost it looks almost identical to a dissected n20/6 because they use all the same parts

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Elaborate.. When you say Ford pumps? Not many companies make their own anything. We may share the same pump from a manufacturer. When you look at a dissected ecoboost it looks almost identical to a dissected n20/6 because they use all the same parts

I don't know who makes the pump (probably Denso) but Ford uses electric vaccum pumps on some cars.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Mocal makes great pumps. I'm pretty sure that's what i got on my car. They can run dry without problem too.
20160418_121200.jpg