Using Expertmode to default code modules.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
This short PDF gives you a step by step on how to default code a module. And after the coding is done there is a change ECU option at the bottom to quickly default code another module without starting the process over from the beginning which is handy when doing multiple modules at a time as in this conversion. It is missing a step though. Immediately after picking your chassis a "choose ECU" screen pops up, pick CAS, then F6, "back".

Attachments

• Reset ECU - Expertmode.pdf
    157.5 KB · Views: 3,759
Last edited:

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I had a lot of luck with this guide.

I had trouble with resetting modules as per VO, but updating the profile to "FSW-IPSW-Manipulate with FSW-PSW.MAN" seemed to make my car actually reset correctly.

By checking the FSW-/PSW-Manipulate box you've disabled Expertmode/default coding and turning it into another manipulation coding profile. You need one of each.

• Informative
Reactions: aus335iguy

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Oh, wow. I did not know that.

It's good to have an 'expert mode' and a 'resetting module' profile?
The "resetting module" or manipulation profile is what you use when you want to make changes in the modules, like the KOMBI changes you made to get the tach to work. The expertmode profile resets the module back to factory stock settings based on the VO of the car. So when we change the VO with the deletion of $2TC and add $2MK and default code those modules they should default to the values based on the new VO. Of course since we're mix and matching some additional changes need to be made.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
The "resetting module" or manipulation profile is what you use when you want to make changes in the modules, like the KOMBI changes you made to get the tach to work. The expertmode profile resets the module back to factory stock settings based on the VO of the car. So when we change the VO with the deletion of $2TC and add $2MK and default code those modules they should default to the values based on the new VO. Of course since we're mix and matching some additional changes need to be made.

Oh wow. I watched your videos (many many times), read up on coding as much as my brain could handle and read many PDFs and that just wasn't clear to me at ALL.

Now I question if I've been coding correctly? I was previously using 'expert mode' profile for EVERYTHING (including VO reset) and now I am using 'expert mode' with the FSW-/PSW-Manipulate enabled (turning it into 'resetting module' profile) for everything.

Is this a mistake I made during reset and coding of modules? :fearful:

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Oh wow. I watched your videos (many many times), read up on coding as much as my brain could handle and read many PDFs and that just wasn't clear to me at ALL.

Now I question if I've been coding correctly? I was previously using 'expert mode' profile for EVERYTHING (including VO reset) and now I am using 'expert mode' with the FSW-/PSW-Manipulate enabled (turning it into 'resetting module' profile) for everything.

Is this a mistake I made during reset and coding of modules? :fearful:

Usually there's two or three profiles listed, what are the names of yours? Keep in mind the profile name can be changed to anything you want. It's just easier to have the two different profiles rather than going back and forth changing one to fill both needs. Check your VO, it will show in NCS Expert after you pick CAS and hit back in your initial read. Look to see if $2TC is gone and $2MK is there, they'll be at the front of your VO just a few characters in.

Check your other profiles. Keep one that has manipulation checked and one that doesn't and since you found the profile editor open the profile info box and change the profile name of each to something that you know will differentiate between the two. My profile names are factory coding and manipulation, can't get them confused.

It sounds like you may have lucked into getting it right anyways if you have no errors and the tach is working correctly. If you have any doubts just go back and default code the KOMBI, NFRM, JBBF, and CIC. No need to mess with DSC. Then recode with the manipulation profile the four parameters in the KOMBI again and that should do it.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I totally missed this thread and this answers the question I had about my experiences and the quirks encountered. Makes things so clear now.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I think i better incorporate this into the coding guide before anybody else tries this as well. Bill do you have this in word format?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I think i better incorporate this into the coding guide before anybody else tries this as well. Bill do you have this in word format?

The piece I didn't get until Bill pointed it out bluntly here is that the FSW/MAN selection isn't for default coding. Expert mode does the default thing. That's why my default coding didn't work...because I was using my FSW/MAN profile.

Reactions: aus335iguy