USE DIELECTRIC GREASE ON SPARKPLUGS

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hello All, I am posting this short note because this has been happening far too often in regards to spark plug installation. People are asking for diagnosing misfires related to spark plugs and after numerous posts, it turns out that they are not using dielectric grease when they install their plugs.

Please apply a thin layer of dielectric grease all around the ceramic part of your plugs before installing them. They prevent arcing and misfires. This is recommended on stock coils and plugs, so you KNOW it is mandatory on BimmerLife and PR Coils. If you don't do this, you most likely will develop misfires and potentially damage your coils and plugs due to the electrical arc pathway.

Clean the metal tips and coil collars before installing to be sure there is no film interfering with the coil innards and the plug metal tip. When you remove the coils next time, it will come out much easier so that is a plus.

Cheers.

VT

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Hello All, I am posting this short note because this has been happening far to often in regards to spark plug installation. People are asking for diagnosing misfires related to spark plugs and after numerous posts, it turns out that they are not using dielectric grease when they install their plugs.

Please apply a thin layer of dielectric grease all around the ceramic part of your plugs before installing them. They prevent arcing and misfires. This is recommended on stock coils and plugs, so you KNOW it is mandatory on BimmerLife and PR Coils. If you don't do this, you most likely will develop misfires and potentially damage your coils and plugs due to the electrical arc pathway.

Clean the metal tips and coil collars before installing to be sure there is no film interfering with the coil innards and the plug metal tip. When you remove the coils next time, it will come out much easier so that is a plus.

Cheers.

VT
Agreed!

Reactions: matreyia

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
Truth spoken here. I didn't apply it to my new plugs when installing the PR coils, the result is evident:

Attachments

• IMG_9150.jpg
    IMG_9150.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,139

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
How much is too much? I have a persistent cylinder 5 timing correction (-6-7) and it seems like it's always been there. Did it with stock BL and PR coils and I've got index 12's which only have a few thousand on them.

I'm not opposed to changing the injector again but figured I'd check everything. My resistance on that coil plug is 0.028

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’d also check the torque on that plug. I recently had a misfire on Cylinder 2. I thought it was my PR coil going bad and purchased a new one. After removing the coils thought I’d take a look at the plug and the damn thing was only finger tight! Put in a new one which had dielectric grease slathered on the insulator, torqued it down to 23Nm, replaced the coils and all is good to go. No more misfires. Now I have a spare PR coil too!

• Informative
Reactions: tisdrew

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I’d also check the torque on that plug. I recently had a misfire on Cylinder 2. I thought it was my PR coil going bad and purchased a new one. After removing the coils thought I’d take a look at the plug and the damn thing was only finger tight! Put in a new one which had dielectric grease slathered on the insulator, torqued it down to 23Nm, replaced the coils and all is good to go. No more misfires. Now I have a spare PR coil too!

Exact thing happened to me last week as well. Cyl 2 only finger tight.. misfires disappeared after tightening it.

Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
How much is too much? I have a persistent cylinder 5 timing correction (-6-7) and it seems like it's always been there. Did it with stock BL and PR coils and I've got index 12's which only have a few thousand on them.

I'm not opposed to changing the injector again but figured I'd check everything. My resistance on that coil plug is 0.028
Just a thin film is enough. I lay down one strip of grease along the ceramic and then use index finger and rotate the plug to smear that line all around the ceramic cylinder. Carefully filling all ceramic surfaces but avoiding metal parts.

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I agree. “Slathered” may be a little too much (I was exaggerating lol). A film of dielectric grease around the insulator is sufficient.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Exact thing happened to me last week as well. Cyl 2 only finger tight.. misfires disappeared after tightening it.

Yes, even when you torque plugs properly, they do come loose in some instances and need to be rechecked to be sure they are still tight. God help anyone who uses anti-seize on the threads on these engines.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Same here... Did some maintenance, happy with the results. Couple weeks later running like sh$t and it hit me... "what the f$ck now!"

Checked the plugs and 3 of them were loose. These days I go back a week or so later and re-torque any new plugs

Reactions: screaminfast

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
Same here... Did some maintenance, happy with the results. Couple weeks later running like sh$t and it hit me... "what the f$ck now!"

Checked the plugs and 3 of them were loose. These days I go back a week or so later and re-torque any new plugs

That's smart and probably something people don't do often enough. On a brand new product, chances are there is some spring to the material, so doublechecking the torque is a good idea.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Yeah, and since plugging in the PR coils have been “iffy” and more hassle than the OEM coils, it’s no longer quick and easy to tighten the plugs.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Yes, even when you torque plugs properly, they do come loose in some instances and need to be rechecked to be sure they are still tight. God help anyone who uses anti-seize on the threads on these engines.
Agree hundred percent I have multiple times found loose plugs first time I changed coils and almost did injectors cause of misfire. I felt real stupid when my spark plug basically fell out. Thank God I didn't get a nice ding on my hood from projectile spark plug. Usually that means damaged threads at that point to.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I wonder if it's the opposite - the misfires causing the plug to loosen. It's a notorious issue on the Honda J motors, as well as some of the Ford modulars in trucks. They get so loose as to blowing out. I bought an 04 TL that it happened to - it had blown out so hard it ejected the coil (which is screwed in) and dented the hood. It's usually the cylinder in the middle of the bank, front or back. The Js have an integrated exhaust manifold and that is usually the cylinder to detonate first, which is what makes me think it's detonation/misfires causing the spark plug to loosen.

Reactions: tisdrew and Jeffman

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82

I also had this happen, more than once. Attention to detail is a good thing.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
I have to do this to my clients car, we keep getting an odd #2 misfire on e85 and the last time I checked it was finger tight as well, and had a lot of dirt/soot around the bottom of the insulator. Guess I'm going to be changing all the plugs while I'm in there.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If you are running plugs with the aluminum crush washers, beware, as I'm unconvinced they work as designed for multiple installations. The copper washers should be fine. Also two other suggestions -
  • Make absolutely clear the bottom of the spark plug shaft is clean, on the face where the spark plug mounts. It is easy for carbon or grit to be there and mess up the mating of the washer face to cylinder head.
  • Rechecking the torque after some brief use is a good idea ... that falls under shit happens.

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Def need to check seat I had my cyl 6 coil rubber blow wide open on the way home from mpact and got misfire under low rpm load. I figured n54 life but it happened again last night in pouring rain my coil was lifted few inches. So I popped it on and then drove home first boost it did it again so I pulled plug and it looks almost like the ceramic was leaking compression. These were zr5tpp33s plugs. Anyway I drove to 3 parts stores to piece 6 95707 plugs gapped to 25 and pulled rest plugs in pouring rain. They all seemed little slippery from the dielectric but I had ton of oil on 3 or for I cant remember cause was raining out. Anyway pretty sure that's from oil change the shop hopefully spilled oil cause my head ports are blocked and new vcg and valve cover. I was running no engine cover but had cowl on so idk at this point any ideas are welcome. Has anyone seen a plug leak compression?