Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

Zeezul

Private
Nov 26, 2016
Holiday, FL. 34691
Make up my mind for me. Need to replace the upper radiator hose, because of that stupid oring not dealing with sourcing one lol

Bought this one from FCP:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-radiator-coolant-hose-upper-17127540127a

It's obviously not as nice as the OE bmw one. but its lifetime warrantied. should I run it

Thats it lol.
Not as nice as the oem one? Don't think that critical about it. I was in a bind one day (top nipple connector broke off) and went to advanced auto parts and they had one made by acdelco. Fit perfect. No issues whatsoever. I also had to "fix" the coolant expansion hose that connects to the upper rad hose to the expansion tank because of that damn nipple that broke off and MacGyverd that shit with fuel line till I got a replacement.

Attachments

• 15309789247481807707007.jpg
    15309789247481807707007.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 168

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m dealing with this o-ring situation right now while doing my OFHG. I first tried a little polymer chemistry on it by boiling the expanded o-ring in water and microwaving it to shrink it, but to no avail. So I brought just the o-ring across the street to my local BMW parts department (yes, I essentially live 500 ft from one just outside Philly) and they gave me a slightly smaller one to try. It may be too small, so it may leak. But If it doesn’t leak I’ll share the part number since it was just $3.00.

Edit: using calipers the diameter is close to 38mm and the thickness is just under 4mm if anyone wants to try to go buy an oring

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not as nice as the oem one? Don't think that critical about it. I was in a bind one day (top nipple connector broke off) and went to advanced auto parts and they had one made by acdelco. Fit perfect. No issues whatsoever. I also had to "fix" the coolant expansion hose that connects to the upper rad hose to the expansion tank because of that damn nipple that broke off and MacGyverd that shit with fuel line till I got a replacement.
I have a very small leak on mine right now. Been this way for a couple years now, or just started again, but basically just some residue underneath. Would be nice to only have to replace it ONCE more. lol

Zeezul

Private
Nov 26, 2016
Holiday, FL. 34691
I have never been more angry at a car part than that o-ring!

Dang it!....... angry again now

How old is the o ring/rad hose? I've never had a problem leaking coolant from that area even with the new acdelco hose. Maybe you have some burs at the ofhg connection that's making it not sit right with the rad hose? Or the plastic rad hose connection could be the culprit? That has to be frustrating because it's a simple piece that shouldn't leak at all.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The o-ring swells up and breaks the plastic ring in its housing. It’s fine as long as you don’t disconnect the hose from the OFH. But once you do, the o-ring pops out and can’t be put back in.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
What jeffman said.

I don't have any coolant leaks but when working on the leaking ofhg then you can't put the coolant hose back on.