Upgraded maintenance items

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Brass clutch pivot pin is a thing. I didn't get one, but apparently it's better than reusing the plastic oem one.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Brass clutch pivot pin is a thing. I didn't get one, but apparently it's better than reusing the plastic oem one.
Oh cool, that's exactly the kind of thing I like to hear about. If I wasn't a heretic with an auto I'd be all over that. Hopefully most people who have upgraded their clutches have used one of those but since this is my first time hearing about that from an N54 guy I kinda doubt it. Maybe the people who have been around the BMW scene for a long time or use a shop who has been did, but that seems to be a minority group when it comes to the N54 nowadays.

I understand BMW used a lot of plastic to help with weight savings (which we all like) and keep manufacturing cost down but now that some of our cars are so old it's kind of scary to see just how brittle some of these plastic parts can become. It's one thing to use plastic coolant lines and stuff in the engine bay which can be annoying but plastic in the driveline is very questionable at best imo. It almost makes me think there's something to the conspiracy theories people have about BMW designing cars around the lifecycle of a lease nowadays lol.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There is a FAQ Sticky in the n54 section that has an extensive list of things to look out for.