Upgrade turbos amd xhp settings.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Anyone with upgrade turbos and xhp have smooth shifting? If so, what settings did you use?

Especially the torque reduction request settings. Their description is all kinds of confusion due to the double negative wording. I don't know they mean what the wording says because they are from Germany.

Increasing torque reduction request??? So does that mean you are actually increasing the torque or did they mean to say reducing the torque sent to the wheels? Because:

1. Torque reduction request means exactly that... you want the torque to decrease.
2. Increasing torque reduction request means you want the torque to decrease even more.

And the slider goes left to negative values which looks like you are decreasing the torque request..so you are decreasing your request for torque reduction which logically means you are requesting an increase in torque.

When the slider goes right to positive values, it looks like you are increasing torque reduction request...which means you want less torque.

But I think they meant to say that negative slider values mean less torque when shifting and positive values mean more torque... can someone verify if you have done both ends with testing?

I slid the sliders to negative 25 % and shifting got very smooth bit it was the opposite of their description. Then I moved sliders to the positive values and shifting was rough and not quick...which is also the opposite of the description.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The newest stage 3 xhp flash version 3 seema to have addressed most of these issues. I knew this was a aoftware amd not hardware issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman and Torgus

Possumwee

Lurker
Apr 10, 2020
Did you ever get an answer? I have the same issues as you, have the XHP custom flash. But cant see which is the more effective way to put it for better shifts.

Im about to have an R90 and meth installed, looking for ~420BHP so want the shifts good!

e30gentry

Private
May 24, 2019
Ride
2008 135i 2008 CLS63 AMG 335D
Stage 3, latest version feels pretty good in a friend of mine who has upgraded RB and 6HP
I've also rode in a FBO Sutphin tuned 6HP it was smoother than mine with the latest version of xHP
Have you tried reaching out to Sutphin tuning?

Reactions: Possumwee

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did you ever get an answer? I have the same issues as you, have the XHP custom flash. But cant see which is the more effective way to put it for better shifts.

Im about to have an R90 and meth installed, looking for ~420BHP so want the shifts good!

I prefer the sutphine xhp tune. The high power shifts are much better than ots xhp flash.

Last edited:
Reactions: tony@codewerx

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I did have a look, but isnt it like $250 for his TCU flash? Does he just load a custom map through XHP?

You must have xhp to load his map. Up to 650 hp he already has maps, but he will adjust if your car needs it. Over 650 to 700 may need custom from the start and is more expensive. I paid for his 600 whp map around $150.

Reactions: Possumwee

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
You must have xhp to load his map. Up to 650 hp he already has maps, but he will adjust if your car needs it. Over 650 to 700 may need custom from the start and is more expensive. I paid for his 600 whp map around $150.

Did you get Rev match enabled for your tune ?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Rod Sutphin has a strong reputation - the BMW diesel guys swear by Rod's 6HP tunes. I'm waiting for my 8HP 535d - he's working that trans as I understand it.

Filippo

E90TommyB

Private
Apr 9, 2018
Indiana
Ride
2007 E90 335i
Did you get Rev match enabled for your tune ?
I have Rods tune and my car barely rev matches, throws you forward every downshift and pretty much doesn't blip at all. He told me that xhp will overwrite it if i have the blips set to more intense in the custom section but it didn't work. His tune at WOT and partial throttle is much better than xhp ots, but unfortunately i couldn't stand not having good rev matching so I just run xhp stage 3.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I have Rods tune and my car barely rev matches, throws you forward every downshift and pretty much doesn't blip at all. He told me that xhp will overwrite it if i have the blips set to more intense in the custom section but it didn't work. His tune at WOT and partial throttle is much better than xhp ots, but unfortunately i couldn't stand not having good rev matching so I just run xhp stage 3.

Really? Man I have the total opposite taste. I hate the loud revving of MHD when downshift, so this tune is great. Much better than OTS map stage 3 at high power and on normal power, very similar to xhp stage 3. A plus is that sport mode is actually usable in city driving too.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
Really? Man I have the total opposite taste. I hate the loud revving of MHD when downshift, so this tune is great. Much better than OTS map stage 3 at high power and on normal power, very similar to xhp stage 3. A plus is that sport mode is actually usable in city driving too.

So it’s not as twitchy in high power mode with the Sutphin tune ? At WOT for high power mode - how is it different vs OTS Stage 3 ?

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So it’s not as twitchy in high power mode with the Sutphin tune ? At WOT for high power mode - now is it different vs OTS Stage 3 ?

Under wot... shifting is 80 smoother. Less jerking. I will work with him to see how much more smoother we can get it.

If I want to compare with ots xhp stage 3, then i have to reflash previous unadjusted mhd first before flashing xhp ots. Since the sutphine tune requires mhd adjustments to work with his xhp.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
Under wot... shifting is 80 smoother. Less jerking. I will work with him to see how much more smoother we can get it.

If I want to compare with ots xhp stage 3, then i have to reflash previous unadjusted mhd first before flashing xhp ots. Since the sutphine tune requires mhd adjustments to work with his xhp.

We were told that custom settings should not be used for his tune.

Did Sutphin advised otherwise in your case ?

What were the settings ?

Possumwee

Lurker
Apr 10, 2020

Interesting, I also like rev matching, sounds great and smoothes out the downshifts... Not sure whether to stick with the XHP and custom settings now then. I find it changes well, if you lower the torque reduction that makes a difference at WOT.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Interesting, I also like rev matching, sounds great and smoothes out the downshifts... Not sure whether to stick with the XHP and custom settings now then. I find it changes well, if you lower the torque reduction that makes a difference at WOT.

See, I don't want to mess with any of that stuff. I rather let the pros do the settings. I messed with that before and it was OK.

Possumwee

Lurker
Apr 10, 2020
See, I don't want to mess with any of that stuff. I rather let the pros do the settings. I messed with that before and it was OK.

Yeah I only run it at 5% in D, 10% in S and 15% in manual. The changes are not noticeably harder.